Led Zep - How the West was Won

Marbles

« on: 28 May 2003, 02:08 am »
I heard some of it on the radio tonight, and it sounded pretty good to me.

I heard it in the car (motor off while waiting for my daughter to get done with dancing lessons).

The played Whole lotta Love.  It is a live CD and there is a low level buzzing underneath the music, but not too intrussive.

I guess I'll have to buy the CD/DVD package.

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2003, 02:18 am »
I picked it up today. The music is great. IMO the sonics leave something to be desired. Another victim of the lets make it LOUD mastering syndrome. No clipped samples (according to Cool Edit) but a lot of it right at 0db.

I tried to purchase the DVD set as well but Best Buy was sold out of them at 4:00pm when I went by there. That was surprising. It will be interesting to discover if the sound on the DVD is better than the CD's. Wouldn't that be some shit, a compressed AC-3 soundtrack with less compression than a CD.  :roll:

Mike

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2003, 02:41 am »
I got the DVD's tonight....

The audio is VERY good, and the footage is unbelievable!!  On Moby Dick  Bonham goes CRAZY...Plant sings his voice out and Page makes it hard not to play air guitar on Whole lotta Love.

If you like Zep at all, this is a must have DVD set (2 DVD's)

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2003, 02:44 am »
That's great to hear. I will have to grab a copy of the DVD's this weekend. :D

Mike

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2003, 02:55 am »
I have the very "trippy" The Song Remains The Same DVD, and this is nothing like it.

HTWWW is  very intimate onstage footage of the band doing what they do best.  For 30 year old footage it is very good!

At least that is how the first DVD is...I'm just getting to #2 now  :D

PeteG

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2003, 03:24 am »
I picked it up tonight, should get to watch it this weekend.
-Pete

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2003, 03:37 am »
A bit of warning .... If you are subject to epeleptic seisures, don't watch the first track on the second DVD  :x

After that it gets much better on disc 2.  Acoustic version of Going to California is scary real for the guitars..not so much for the vocals.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2003, 02:13 am »
Cool!  I was holding out, not knowing if the sound of the DVD would be crap with grainy film footage, etc.  If it's a really well done package I'll be picking it up for sure.

mojoman

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2003, 05:20 pm »
I picked up both the cd and the dvd last Friday and managed to work through most of it this weekend (kind of OD'd on Zepp right now).  This is all really good stuff.  No filler here, just good solid performances by a great rock band.  If you a LZ fan you must own these.  If you not a fan and wonder why all the hype that surrounds this band, this is a good place to start exploring.

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2003, 06:23 pm »
To tell you how far back this footage is.....Jimmy Page is wearing an argyle sweater for most of the first DVD!!!! :o  :o  :o

mojoman

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2003, 08:49 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
To tell you how far back this footage is.....Jimmy Page is wearing an argyle sweater for most of the first DVD!!!! :o  :o  :o

Yeah, and he's playing a Strat on some of the tv/radio clips that are included.

rosconey

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2003, 12:57 pm »
i picked up the cd's last night, very good sounding  :mrgreen:

klaus@odyssey

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2003, 10:39 am »
The CD is good to very good,  but musically,  not quite on par with the double BBC recording,  IMO.

BUT  the DVD,  man oh man.   The takes from Madison Square Garden and Earl's Court,  esp. California, Stairway, and Since I've been   is exactly 100 %  why they're the Legend they became.  Everything about it,  the performance,  actually the sq as well,  the lighting,  the outfits,  etc.  everything's right on th emoney.  I agree with Marbles about the Song remains the same release.  Instead of pre-planning the 2 NY shows for "remains"  they should have gone back to the archives in the first place.  Much, much better.   The first DVD of the Albert Hall 1970  essentially shows the raw energy and talent,  and at the Knebworth 1979 festival on disc 2,  you also see the "mature"  Zep.  It's a really good timeline exhibition with fantastic footage.

Look at it this way,  I picked up the DVD for around $ 20.  Great sound,  great footage,  some phenomenal live stage show tracks,  and all in all nearly 5 hrs of Zep ???     GET IT  !!!!

Late,
klaus

klaus@odyssey

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jun 2003, 10:42 am »
Oh yeah,  mojo,  you do know that the Gibson beats the crap out of the Strat,  don't you. :lol:

mojoman

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jun 2003, 02:01 pm »
Quote from: klaus@odyssey
Oh yeah,  mojo,  you do know that the Gibson beats the crap out of the Strat,  don't you. :lol:

It was just weird seeing Page playing a strat when he's so identified with the Paul.

jcoat007

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2003, 09:01 pm »
I just picked up the DVD at lunch.  

Can't wait to get home.  

BTW - My wife and I were driving to the beach yesterday and she asked if I had any LZ in the CD changer because she was in the mood to hear some.  I didn't have any in the car, but I think the fact that she asked if I had any allows me to purchase this DVD.  I was just thinking of her, you know.    :D

jcoat007

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2003, 03:12 pm »
Watched disk one last night.  

I was exhausted after the first disk.  The energy those guys exhibit in the early days is unbelievable.  And Bonham is unreal.  I alsways liked him as a drummer, but seeing him play is another experience.  I actually enjoyed Moby Dick.  And Page shows his total mastery of his instrument.  It's as if he and the guiter are one.  Plant's voice in is top form and Jones just sits back ripping the bass apart.  

The sound is actually quite good.  I listened to it in stereo through my Mensa DI/O and was very impressed.  

Phenomenal disk.  A must have for any Zep fan.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2003, 02:46 am »
Quote from: Marbles
A bit of warning .... If you are subject to epeleptic seisures, don't watch the first track on the second DVD  :x

After that it gets much better on disc 2.  Acoustic version of Going to California is scary real for the guitars..not so much for the vocals.

If you can get beyond the jittery visuals in that first track, that is the most slammin' version of Immigrant Song I've ever heard. I'd like to know how Page's guitar was miked in the acoustic set: it sounds better than most modern day acoustic pickups, IMHO.