Graham Robin - Furutech AG-12 incompatability

abernardi

Graham Robin - Furutech AG-12 incompatability
« on: 26 Aug 2015, 04:04 am »
Hey there everyone.  After 20 years or so, I'm getting back into vinyl.  I really really tried to make digital work, long story... the upshot is that with the help of a friend and an experienced analogue junkie, I picked up a cool NOS Micro-Seiki B21, Graham Robin tonearm, AT-OC9ML/Mkii cartridge, Furutech AG-12 tonearm cable and and EAR 834P phono stage.  Well, the cable came in yesterday and there's a problem.  On the tonearm there's a plastic ring or sheath surrounding the DIN plug.  The AG-12 is the straight version, but it has a very thick chrome collar around it's DIN plug and it won't fit in the tonearm's sheath, too thick.
It seems everyone I've talked to is scratching their heads.  Has anyone heard of this before and does anyone have a solution?  I contacted Furutech and they said they'd look into it, the ebay dealer I bought it from NEW! refuses to take it back because he only accepts unopened returns.  Frankly, I don't understand that since the box wasn't sealed or shrink wrapped, so how could he tell anyway, but there you have it.  THANKS for the help!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Graham Robin - Furutech AG-12 incompatability
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2015, 11:34 am »
Hi,
Seems like a rude reintroduction.  The e-pay seller probably isn't an authorized dealer, so???  I suggest you return it as defective.  Cancel your pay pal payment and credit card payment.  It's important to cancel the card payment or you have to wait for arbitration.  He'll take it back.

Although the 5 pin DIN configuration is standard, outer plug dimensions vary.  This seems to be a relatively new phenomena.  In the old days everyone used a Tiffany plugs, like on an SME cable, and all was right with the World.   Whether you get a new cable or replace the DIN on the Furtech, you need something with a compatible plug.  I suggest not messing with the arm.  You might want to check with Graham:

Graham Engineering, Inc.
25M Olympia Avenue
Woburn, MA 01801 U.S.A.
tel: (781) 932-8777
e-mail:  grahmeng@concentric.net

Cardas plugs seem to be prevalent these days, I suspect they fit, but not sure.  Let us know how you make out or if you need recommendations.
Regards,
neo

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2015, 01:09 pm »
The Cardas S-DIN & R-DIN connectors (http://www.cardas.com/parts_din_plugs.php) seem to work universally and are very high quality.

I have fabricated several DIN cables using Cardas without "fitting" issues...

My $0.02,
Pete

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2015, 01:21 pm »
Hey there everyone.  After 20 years or so, I'm getting back into vinyl.  I really really tried to make digital work, long story... the upshot is that with the help of a friend and an experienced analogue junkie, I picked up a cool NOS Micro-Seiki B21, Graham Robin tonearm, AT-OC9ML/Mkii cartridge, Furutech AG-12 tonearm cable and and EAR 834P phono stage.  Well, the cable came in yesterday and there's a problem.  On the tonearm there's a plastic ring or sheath surrounding the DIN plug.  The AG-12 is the straight version, but it has a very thick chrome collar around it's DIN plug and it won't fit in the tonearm's sheath, too thick.
It seems everyone I've talked to is scratching their heads.  Has anyone heard of this before and does anyone have a solution?  I contacted Furutech and they said they'd look into it, the ebay dealer I bought it from NEW! refuses to take it back because he only accepts unopened returns.  Frankly, I don't understand that since the box wasn't sealed or shrink wrapped, so how could he tell anyway, but there you have it.  THANKS for the help!

I have an ag-12 lying around somewhere and I don't recall thick chrome collar.  Mine fits Graham phantom and SME arms fine.  I will check tonight and see if you have a "modified" ag-12.  I can't imagine Robin and Phantom have different DIN plug dimension.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2015, 02:11 pm »
Furutech from an ebay seller? Good chance it is not genuine...

And yes, DIN plugs are a PITA. The last one I built I used 90 degree Cardas and it required a rotation that the Cardas plug did not support so I had to drill a hole in a brand new Cardas DIN plug to get it to work for the application. It was a pretty standard configuration too, replacing a very common cable. Anyway, Good Luck!

abernardi

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2015, 04:51 pm »
thanks for the good advice so far.  I'll let you guys know what I find out

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm »
Here are some pictures I took last night.  Once again, it fits fine into Graham Phantom2.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2015, 01:16 pm »
The Graham Robin (now discontinued) a less expensive (than other Grahams) Japanese arm made for Graham.  It's a straight arm with removable headshell and conventional bearings, probably made by Jelco.   The DIN plug fitment should be the same as other Jelco arms, but I don't know specifically. 

The easy solution is to return the cable and try again.  It doesn't matter what the seller says, it's defective - does not fit a "standard" DIN receptacle. 

There is a problem with Cardas plugs fitting some older arms, but I doubt if this is the case here.  Robin is a relatively new arm, from this century.
I have a Sonus unipivot, made by the same Japanese mfg. as Mayware.  Cardas plug is too large.  I doubt if it's too large for Robin, but.....

Contact Graham and check.
neo

orientalexpress

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2015, 01:48 pm »
mine look just that,fit SME 3009 arm perfectly.

lapsan

abernardi

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2015, 03:24 am »
HOLY COW!  I just realized why this cable isn't working.  The chrome sheath or collar is reversed!  Check out Woodsyi's pic and then mine below.  It was put on backwards.  No wonder it won't fit in the Robin's collar, the thicker part is up front.  I see two set screws, I'm assuming it's just a matter of unscrewing them, flipping the collar around and resetting it.  I've made my own cables before (not very well, but they work), but this cable is way too expensive to screw up.  I can't quite tell from looking, but I'm not sure the metal sleeve will just slide off over the DIN connector.  If that's the case, then it's wash.  Has anyone tried this?

THANKS FOR POSTING THE IMAGES WOODSYI, I thought I was nuts!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2015, 03:33 am »
You're going to have to unsolder it, reverse the connector, then re-solder. This is definitely grounds for a return, even a chargeback if need be. The seller needs to take care of this.

abernardi

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2015, 03:43 am »
I think you're right, the more I look at it the more it looks like there isn't enough clearance to just slide it over the DIN connector... 

abernardi

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2015, 09:59 pm »
OK, now it just got a lot ruder!  I sent the ebay seller the pics of the cable and now he refuses to take it back under any circumstances and I think he threatened me...

"Hi Adam, I am sorry I do not accept return. The reason is that you mentioned "There is nothing wrong with the cable, except it doesn t fit my tonearm." in your first message. You have already opened the parcel, touched the cabel and were trying to connect the cable to your tonearm. Now you says "it's defective". Who believe it? I am sorry I can not help you any more because my return policy is "ITEMS MUST NOT BEEN OPENED .... ". I will rise an issue as misusing returns to ebay support team if you take further action..."

This guy is either a crook or we're having a language problem, I'm not sure which.  I emailed Furutech and they won't honor the warranty since he's not an authorized dealer.  I knew the price, even at well over $400 was too good!

I've been building this new system for about 4 years now, mostly buying used equipment from guys on this board or small companies with circles here and a few other places and have never once had a problem.  We have a great community here and by and large we're honest with each other.  I've usually made my own cables or bought some made by Tuan and others here.  I like to keep it small, personal and in the community. 

But this cable was specifically recommended and I couldn't see paying retail, just not in line with the rest of my system financially, so with some trepidation I took the ebay risk.  Mistake.  :duh: :duh:  Ranting.  Sorry for taking up the bandwidth...

I'll try one more exchange with this guy and then take it to ebay, but I don't have high hopes.  Guess I'll have to crack it open and try not to ruin it.

Thanks for all your input!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2015, 10:03 pm »
File a complaint with ebay, he's bluffing. He sold a defective product...

The other issue is it's very likely the cable is not genuine. Better to force a return, even if he won't take it back ebay will refund your money.

Also, if you paid by paypal file a claim with them, and if you used a credit card, through paypal or not, call your CC company and file a chargeback.

abernardi

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2015, 07:03 am »
Well, it all worked out.  Apparently the pictures didn't upload correctly (probably user error  :oops:), so I uploaded them again, and sent him a very clear and concise description of the problem and he did a complete turn around.  He seemed mortified actually.  I honestly think it was a language gap and once he saw the undeniable proof, he acted with complete integrity, refunding everything 100%. 

Thanks to everyone who posted their comments on this, it really helped!   :thumb:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 1 Sep 2015, 12:13 pm »
Glad it worked out with the seller.

Now you can PM me and I will let you have my cable for less than what you said you paid on e-bay if you still want this model.  I got mine Chris VenHaus.  He is a legit dealer.