Off to Capital Audiofest

jsalk

Off to Capital Audiofest
« on: 22 Jul 2014, 06:46 pm »
Tomorrow we leave for the Capital Audiofest where we will be sharing a room with Dennis Murphy.

We will be bringing a pair of SoundScape 8's, our Exotica3 prototypes and a pair of black satin SongTower RT's.  The latter pair will be available for sale should anyone want to bring them home after the show.  Our source will be our new Generation II StreamPlayer.  We will also be using an Auralic DSD-capable DAC and an Audio by Van Alstine preamp and power amp.

See you in room 617!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2014, 02:10 am by jsalk »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: Off to Capitol Audiofest
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2014, 07:49 pm »
No turntable???

:thumbdown:

sfox7076

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2014, 07:59 pm »
Wish I could go...  Never seen one in one of Jim's rooms.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2014, 08:18 pm »

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2014, 08:21 pm »
You don't need a turntable when you have the Generation II Salkstreamer  :thumb:.

Cornelis

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2014, 08:41 pm »
Tomorrow we leave for the Capitol Audiofest where we will be sharing a room with Dennis Murphy.

We will be bringing a pair of SoundScape 8's, our Exotica3 prototypes and a pair of black satin SongTower RT's.  The latter pair will be available for sale should anyone want to bring them home after the show.  Our source will be our new Generation II StreamPlayer.  We will also be using an Auralic DSD-capable DAC and an Audio by Van Alstine preamp and power amp.

See you in room 617!

- Jim

Which AVA preamp + amp, may I ask?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2014, 12:36 am »
Jim owns an AVA Fet Valve 600R hybrid power amp and a Fet Valve CF preamplifier, both with silver faceplates.

I assume these are the AVA products he and Dennis Murphy will be using at the Capital Audio Show.

Unfortunately, I won't be there this year.  I am recovering from some minor knee surgery and am still limping around too much to travel.

Frank Van Alstine

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2014, 03:14 am »
Jim owns an AVA Fet Valve 600R hybrid power amp and a Fet Valve CF preamplifier, both with silver faceplates.

I assume these are the AVA products he and Dennis Murphy will be using at the Capital Audio Show.

Unfortunately, I won't be there this year.  I am recovering from some minor knee surgery and am still limping around too much to travel.

Frank Van Alstine

Thanks for the prompt response.  That'll be a room I'll definitely be checking out.  Sorry we'll miss you this year & best wishes for a quick and full recovery. 

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2014, 02:44 pm »
Best wishes to you and the crew, Jim.  I'm sure you'll wow many! :thumb:

sfox7076

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2014, 04:33 pm »
I saw you sold your SongTowers Nuance.  Glad they sold, but sad for you that they did as well.

chargedmr2

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2014, 01:08 am »
I saw you sold your SongTowers Nuance.  Glad they sold, but sad for you that they did as well.

I haven't been lurking around this forum as much as usual, and I must admit, this is the most surprising news I've seen in some time!  Those speakers were legendary :)  Hopefully you found worthy replacements!

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2014, 01:54 pm »
Thanks guys.  Trust me, I didn't want to sell.  I hope I will be a Salk owner again one day.  More importantly though, I hope Jim is having a great weekend at Capitol Audio fest!

Mr. Don

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:09 pm »
I was hoping to make this one (missed Axpona this year) but looks like just Rocky Mountain for me this year.

Pics?? That way we can live vicariously in the Salk room for the weekend!  :D
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2014, 06:38 pm by Mr. Don »

JDCrae

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2014, 10:38 pm »
Wanted to first say thanks to Jim.  CAF was my first audio show ever, and it was an absolute blast.  I got caught up speaking with Dennis, but forgot to ask you two questions.  One, you played a song that had an incredible amount of drums- almost like an upbeat drum corp kind of thing going on, and I was curious what the name of the track and artist were.

The second question was what the name of the speakers were that were the second in from the right hand side.  Thought they had two woofers on the bottom, actually think they were the speakers you were using when playing the above track.  The sounded absolutely amazing!  Thanks again for an amazing first show experience.  Couldn't be more inspired.

Thanks

Jeff

mr_bill

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2014, 11:52 pm »
Could be the Exotica 3s?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2014, 12:43 am »
Wanted to first say thanks to Jim.  CAF was my first audio show ever, and it was an absolute blast.  I got caught up speaking with Dennis, but forgot to ask you two questions.  One, you played a song that had an incredible amount of drums- almost like an upbeat drum corp kind of thing going on, and I was curious what the name of the track and artist were.

The second question was what the name of the speakers were that were the second in from the right hand side.  Thought they had two woofers on the bottom, actually think they were the speakers you were using when playing the above track.  The sounded absolutely amazing!  Thanks again for an amazing first show experience.  Couldn't be more inspired.

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff.   Nice to meet you.  Jim and I traded off during the day.  The speakers you're asking about are the Salk Exotica 3's, with my passive crossover for the tweeter and woofer, paired with an actively-driven dual 8" servo woofers.  Jim can give you the details on the amplification.  I think the selection in question was Jazz Variants by the Ozone Group, or Blue Ozone, or something like that.  I know Ozone is in there someplace.   The Exoticas really are amazing, although not quite in the same league as my $165/pr monitors.   Well, they're definitely in different leagues. 

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:23 am »
^Only $165/pair?  Dennis, would you please email or pm me the specs?

resonance

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:31 am »
Jazz Variants is the 10th track on the "La Bambal" album by the The Ozone Percussionist Group. Jim always gets people running down the hall to find out where those drum sounds are coming from when he plays that track.

resonance

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:39 am »
Correction: La Bamba, The Ozone Percussion Group, Jazz Variants, Track 10. Drums really kick in at about the 8th minute near the end.

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:54 am »
^Only $165/pair?  Dennis, would you please email or pm me the specs?

It's on his site -

http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/AALS.html