DXD (24b/352.8KHz)

doak

DXD (24b/352.8KHz)
« on: 19 Nov 2015, 08:46 pm »
Your experience(s) playing DXD files on your Lampi, please.
Thanks.

doak

Re: DXD (24b/352.8KHz)
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2015, 02:11 pm »
???
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2015, 06:01 am by doak »

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2015, 08:58 pm »
I'm honestly not sure if that's a supported resolution.  Never had or tried anything at that rate--does it play for you?

doak

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2015, 10:02 pm »
I'm honestly not sure if that's a supported resolution.  Never had or tried anything at that rate--does it play for you?

My experience was last year with an early Amber and now with a L4 G5.  While I find the situation somewhat better with the L4, I would characterize DXD playback as "playable, though not listenable." The files played smoothly but exhibited background noise akin to heavy tape hiss.  The amplitude of the hiss is less on the L4 than what I heard on the Amber.  Even so it's enough to nix, for me, the idea of enjoying DXD files on either.

That said this report was posted today by "marslo" on the WBF:
"I downloaded some time ago nostalgic music from 2L Nordic Sound as DXD files wav 24/352,8 kHz from the album by Trondheim Solistene " Divertimenti" . The old pcm board could not reproduce that, the new R2R one plays without issues with outstanding resolution.
Beautiful music and very good recording btw.
I had yesterday a conversation with Lukasz over the telephone and asked him about the suggested by Blizzard possibility to install better clock in Amanero board in order to reduce further the jitter level.
Lukasz explained that he tried already some aftermarket clocks and was not convinced to install them. Instead of that he will propose a new hiend Amanero board which the latter will introduce to the market soon, with improved clock parameters . Lampizator will propose this new hiend Amanero board as an upgrade for all B7 and GG owners."

PhilipAC

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2015, 11:24 pm »
Last year, when I had a L5, I found, like you, that DXD had a totally unacceptable level of hiss-almost a crackle. About 4 months ago I upgraded to a Golden Gate Head DAC. Spurred on by your thread, I have just tried playing the same music on 192, DXD and DSD128. The background to the 192 and DSD128 are dead quiet. The background to the DXD is better than before but there is still a noticeable hiss.

It doesn't bother me because I listen only to DSD, but I can see your point.

PhilipAC

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2015, 11:26 pm »
PS I do not have the new R-to-R PCM board.

doak

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2015, 02:16 am »
Last year, when I had a L5, I found, like you, that DXD had a totally unacceptable level of hiss-almost a crackle. About 4 months ago I upgraded to a Golden Gate Head DAC. Spurred on by your thread, I have just tried playing the same music on 192, DXD and DSD128. The background to the 192 and DSD128 are dead quiet. The background to the DXD is better than before but there is still a noticeable hiss.

It doesn't bother me because I listen only to DSD, but I can see your point.

Not a big prob for me either - one purchased DXD album.  I posted the question because I did not know if anyone or possibly everyone else was experiencing what I was.  Interestingly, my L4 plays 32/384 flawlessly.  Am interested as to the "mechanics" of why this is.  352.8 is a neat multiple of 44.1, maybe that's the reason/problem?

DXD is being used as a master recording format and it is a bit of a shame not to be able to access what are essentially the "master tapes" of these albums. But, unless the world makes a lurch towards DXD as a consumer format it isn't a significant loss IMO.