IDA-16 or Ref 20?

EdRo

• Industry Participant
IDA-16 or Ref 20?
« on: 22 Mar 2018, 01:11 pm »
I've been "kicking the tires" for awhile on the IDA-16 now. I have a question. The Ref 20 has 200w in 8ohms, same as the IDA16. The IDA-16 puts out 200w in 8ohms also, and has an integral DAC. I'm looking for the best all-around system that offers simplicity, with plenty of power (extended headroom) that can be used at audio shows. I have a 4 terabyte hard drive loaded with uncompressed audiophile selections controlled with a minicomputer and tablet. I want the focus to be on my speakers, not the equipment. I'd need two Ref 20s to equal the output of one IDA-16? The overall sound might be better with two Ref 20s, but I'll still need a DAC? What do you guys think?

Bob Stark

Re: IDA-16 or Ref 20?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2018, 04:05 pm »
Hey Ed,

I have Nuforce Ref 9 V3SE monos that have TDSS Level 3 upgrades including the awesome power supply.  The amps were outputting 175/ch and after the upgrades, well over 200/ch.  They are subjectively much more powerful with seemingly unending reserves.  The sound is so live and beautiful with even better clarity and deep articulate bass.  Bob Smith's upgrades are well worth the cost and even considerably raises the reliability of the amps.  Bob has a couple Ref 20's from Nuprime that he is going to do the Level 4 upgrades to--even more powerful power supplies involved with even better sound qualities overall.  I've heard mine on 5 different systems at the owner's request and all sounded so much more live and dynamic with zero downsides at all.  If you like headroom in an amp with tremendous sound qualities, the TDSS upgrades on the Ref 20 or the Ref 9 amps is a serious winner.  Check out what others have said about their upgrades.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2018, 05:40 pm »
According to the Amp comparison chart (found here: http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/guides/amp-comparison/?v=3fd6b696867d ), the REF-20 has higher power than the IDA, and also scores higher in Dynamics, Resolution, Sound Stage, High Freq. Extension, Bass Extension, Warmth and Texture (not that that is essentially better, its just a different sound signature, but having more dynamics, resolution, stage and higher extension both up and down, I think that qualifies as a better amp all around). 

If you are looking for power, maybe two of the new ST-10M which will have 300W per channel?  They will cost roughtly the same as one REF-20.

Best regards,
Rafa.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2018, 06:15 pm »
I've been "kicking the tires" for awhile on the IDA-16 now. I have a question. The Ref 20 has 200w in 8ohms, same as the IDA16. The IDA-16 puts out 200w in 8ohms also, and has an integral DAC. I'm looking for the best all-around system that offers simplicity, with plenty of power (extended headroom) that can be used at audio shows. I have a 4 terabyte hard drive loaded with uncompressed audiophile selections controlled with a minicomputer and tablet. I want the focus to be on my speakers, not the equipment. I'd need two Ref 20s to equal the output of one IDA-16? The overall sound might be better with two Ref 20s, but I'll still need a DAC? What do you guys think?

Hi Ed,

You actually have a few choices:

1) The IDA-16, which offers an excellent "one box" solution @ $1995
2) The TDSS Ref 20 of which there may be few if any still available listed at $2850 each
3) The NEW Reference EVOLUTION @ $2995 each (available next month)
4) A pair of ST-10M Monoblocs @ $1595 each

For Price/Performance you cannot beat the IDA-16. 

For Sonic Performance if we rely on Jason's evaluation of his amps, the Reference EVOLUTION is the best NuPRIME currently offers, and is competitive with THE BEST out there.  Look Here for information

While I have not heard this model (as it is shipping next month) I trust Jason's ears and attention to the design improvements.

The ST-10M is the ST-10 on steroids, and is certainly a contender.

Your industry association would likely qualify you for some level of accommodation, PM me for details.