Thanks Again Jeff..

OSIB16

Thanks Again Jeff..
« on: 28 Jun 2016, 05:35 pm »
Jeff just to thank you for supplying me with that 23AWG Neotech solid silver. I just finished constructed a mini 1FT long USB Cable to go between my MAC MINI and my JOHN KENNY Ciunas USB to SPDIF Converter. Sound quality wise it has completely obliterated the cable it has replaced (Oyaide Continental 5S occ-silver USB). I'm now getting CRAZY HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGING.

When constructing it I used only the finest ingredients below...

PURE COTTON SLEEVING.

23 GAUGE NEOTECH SILVER.

PAPER MASKING TAPE FOR ENDS/PLUGS (instead of plastic heatshrink).

NO SHIELD OR POWERLINE WIRE REQUIRED (only ground wire used).

OSIB16

Re: Thanks Again Jeff..
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2016, 05:41 pm »
My question to you is how long will this cable take to Burn-In? And what changes will I hear over time with the Neotech silver?

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2016, 09:10 pm »
Daniel,

Thank you for the kind words, and props to you on your successful project.  Assuming you have removed the teflon, about 200 hours.  It will be subtle, but it will become slightly warmer and detailed at the same time.  Air, transparency, layering, and soundstage will improve....everything related to correct phase tracking.

OSIB16

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm »
Jeff,
         yes, teflon was removed. What did you mean by the below statement?

everything related to correct phase tracking.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2016, 10:52 pm »
Anything that would disturb phase like reactance coupling with dielectric issues, and the lack there of...

OSIB16

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2016, 04:37 pm »
Anything that would disturb phase like reactance coupling with dielectric issues, and the lack there of...

I don't have the complex technical knowledge that you have Jeff. However I do know that it just sounds RIGHT. From what I can hear - Everything just seems to snap into place. The most obvious change is that I can "significantly" hear further into the music than I could with the OYAIDE USB.

brj

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2016, 05:00 pm »
The avoidance of heat shrink in favor of masking tape is an interesting idea.  I'd worry about the durability of the masking tape over time, especially in a dry environment.  (It always seems to "unstick" eventually.)  I wonder if an unbleached cotton tape would be a more viable alternative that would serve the same purpose?  It would fit well with the cotton sleeving and be much more conformable as well.  My 20 second search didn't show a US product, but perhaps something like this?

https://www.kingfishertapes.co.uk/unbleached-cloth-tape.html

mikeeastman

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2016, 05:19 pm »
What did you use for the plug and end and were did you get them?

OSIB16

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2016, 05:34 pm »
I've used masking tape on my cables many times with no problems. Any loose ends that are peeling off, I just glue them back down using Superglue. Plastic Heatshrink in my opinion affects the sound quality in a MINOR negative way. Paper tape is a natural product derived from trees. Plastic Heatshrink is a man made unnatural product.

The avoidance of heat shrink in favor of masking tape is an interesting idea.  I'd worry about the durability of the masking tape over time, especially in a dry environment.  (It always seems to "unstick" eventually.)  I wonder if an unbleached cotton tape would be a more viable alternative that would serve the same purpose?  It would fit well with the cotton sleeving and be much more conformable as well.  My 20 second search didn't show a US product, but perhaps something like this?

https://www.kingfishertapes.co.uk/unbleached-cloth-tape.html

OSIB16

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2016, 05:39 pm »
I used standard USB connectors from MAPLIN. I chopped off part of the aluminium shells with a pair of scissors - this allowed me to fit the Cotton Sleeving right close up to the solder pins on the USB connectors, without the sleeving touching or resting on any part of the Shell. The sound quality is "that good" it really speaks for itself.

What did you use for the plug and end and were did you get them?

brj

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2016, 06:00 pm »
I've used masking tape on my cables many times with no problems. Any loose ends that are peeling off, I just glue them back down using Superglue. Plastic Heatshrink in my opinion affects the sound quality in a MINOR negative way. Paper tape is a natural product derived from trees. Plastic Heatshrink is a man made unnatural product.

Understood.  Thus the recommendation for a similar natural product that had the added advantage of increased conformability.  No worries - use what works for you!

OSIB16

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2016, 06:28 pm »
That cotton tape you mention looks like a good idea though.

Understood.  Thus the recommendation for a similar natural product that had the added advantage of increased conformability.  No worries - use what works for you!

kenreau

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2016, 10:21 pm »
Jeff,
         yes, teflon was removed. What did you mean by the below statement?

everything related to correct phase tracking.

Curious how you removed the teflon from the 23ga solid silver wire.  Does it simply pull apart? or, need to surgically cut it apart?

Thx
Ken

OSIB16

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2016, 12:14 am »
just slides off.

Curious how you removed the teflon from the 23ga solid silver wire.  Does it simply pull apart? or, need to surgically cut it apart?

Thx
Ken

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2016, 10:11 pm »
Jeff also kindly send me this Neotech UPOCC awg14 for a tube amp project.
Sonic Craft service is first class and best price I found. :thumb: