Dead PS3 fix - eFX computers

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Dead PS3 fix - eFX computers
« on: 10 May 2012, 03:02 am »
Hi all - I have a hacked PS3 that I've been using to create backup ISO files from SACD's.  I'd been doing this for a while and things were going great.  Till one day, I ended up with the dreaded green screen of death (also known as the yellow light of death).

After a lot of research, I discovered that this is very common for the 1st and 2nd gen of PS3's, and it's due to Sony using lead-free solder in these devices, for the first time, in order to comply with EU mandates.  Problem is, the chips get too hot over time, and the hot-to-cool-down cycle results in cracked solder leads.  And these solder leads are TINY.  Way beyond my skill to repair, unfortunately. 

In my research, I ran across some DIY guides that advised taking a heat gun and heating the chip up to try to "reflow" the solder.  This is a DEAD WRONG approach and might fix the problem temporarily, but will in the end leave you with a boat anchor.

Anyway, looking around, I stumbled across this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAGOJgFBbio and clearly these guys posses the equipment and skill to fix the PS3.  So I sent mine off with a brief prayer that it might be salvaged. 

One week later, I have my PS3 back and its working perfectly!  And I like that these guys warranty their work for 1 year after completion.  Cost was $120.  I also liked that they don't charge $120 if they cannot fix it, they only charge a $20 assessment fee. 

So, I'm back online with ripping some SACD's and super happy.  Their website is http://www.efx-computer.net/ps3pricelist.html - I'm not affiliated with them in any way, other than being a really happy customer.

Moderator edit:  new link.  Above one doesn't work anymore:
http://www.efxcomputer.com/game-console-services-2/ps3-repair.html
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2012, 02:10 pm by ted_b »

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Dead PS3 fix - eFX computers
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 03:17 am »
This is a HUGELY great find, Tyson.  Thanks.  Many of us worried to death that our beloved hacked PS3's will get the YLOD and nothing can be done. 

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 03:24 am »
Glad to be of help.  I suppose if I were very clever, I'd sell my 1st gen PS3 for what I paid for it ($500), and buy a broken PS3 off ebay for $50 and send it in to eFX to be fixed.  But I'm not that much of a risk taker, I suppose....

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 03:26 am »
Is it Efx's opinion that their YLOD fix makes the repaired PS3 much less susceptible to future YLOD breakdown?

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2012, 03:37 am »
Yes.  There are 2 main areas that can break - the graphic CPU chip and the main motherboard CPU chip.  From my understanding, whichever one is broken, they desolder it, remove it, clean it, and re-solder it using leaded solder.  This should theoretically last forever. 

I suppose if your graphics CPU breaks and they fix it, then your main motherboard CPU might break at a later date.  But the graphics CPU should be pretty much bulletproof after they re-solder it with leaded solder.  And if they main motherboard CPU does happen to break in the future, they can fix that pretty easily as well.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2012, 04:16 am »
Wow....wonderful find!!!

Best,
John

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2012, 11:37 am »
Yes.  There are 2 main areas that can break - the graphic CPU chip and the main motherboard CPU chip.  From my understanding, whichever one is broken, they desolder it, remove it, clean it, and re-solder it using leaded solder.  This should theoretically last forever. 

I suppose if your graphics CPU breaks and they fix it, then your main motherboard CPU might break at a later date.  But the graphics CPU should be pretty much bulletproof after they re-solder it with leaded solder.  And if they main motherboard CPU does happen to break in the future, they can fix that pretty easily as well.

This thread should be a sticky!!!!!!

If just one processor breaks, can you request they fix BOTH to avoid having to send it again when the other one finally goes (very likely)!

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2012, 01:55 pm »
Norman,
Good idea!  Done!

I'm almost tempted to send in during a lull, regardless of whether mine needs it yet.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2012, 03:13 pm »
Excellent Thank you.....I have a Sony Laptop and PS3 both with blu-ray roms so its nice to have a source like this..prices are extremely reasonable....I'll keep my fingers crossed but they were new like 3-4 years ago...they are bound to tank soon. :thumb:

Brandon B

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2012, 12:54 am »
This should theoretically last forever. 

Sending it off to one of these reball guys will definitely last longer than the heat gun reflow technique, but it will not last forever anymore than the unit did originally.  You are still dealing with the same thermal loads and undersized traces for that environment.  The first 2 generations of PS3 simply run too hot.

Mine lasted from original launch to last November, with constant cleanings and very good ventilation.  If you are using it basically for SACD ripping only, then it is likely to survive indefinitely as that's a pretty light duty cycle.

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2012, 01:16 am »
You are forgetting that the reballers use leaded solder, and the original unit used unleaded solder.  That's the difference that makes all the difference. 

But I agree that if you are lucky enough to have one of these PS3's, you should reserve it for SACD ripping duties.  I have a 2nd, more modern PS3 I use for movies, streaming, and games.