Can/how/should you make a digital file from vinyl?

Grit

• - Garrett
Can/how/should you make a digital file from vinyl?
« on: 22 Jan 2017, 06:38 am »
Sorry, this is a new concept to me. I was snooping on the dynamic range database (http://dr.loudness-war.info/) to see what others had posted about some SACD versions of music I was looking to buy. I came across an entry for Maroon 5's "V" and noticed the CD version was poor, but the same album on vinyl had much better dynamic range. I then saw that the notes for the vinyl indicated it had been "ripped" to a digital lossless file.

Is that a thing? How does one do that (what equipment is needed)? And, is it worth doing?

I'd love anyone's feedback, experiences, and opinions.

- Garrett

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure

eric1

Re: Can/how/should you make a digital file from vinyl?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2017, 03:11 pm »
Hi Grit,
Ive used the methods presented by the poster above. They do work, but I found them to be pretty time consuming. My results were fairly good, and I had better equipment than that suggested. For me, I didn't find it worth the hassle.  If I want a digital file, I'll go out and find it, although there is a lot of music not available digital. In this case, I just listen to the vinyl.

eric

undertowogt1

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2017, 03:14 pm »
Hi Grit,

I rip Vinyl all the time. I always clean my record before Ripping

What I use:

- Turntable  :lol:
- Stienberg 24 bit 192 khz Audio 2 input interface
- Software: Adobe Audition, Weiss Saracon, FLAC Frontened Foobar 2000

In the software you set your record inputs and desired bit depth and sample rate.
I try to get my Audio Input levels to peak around -3 db or so, I don't want any clipping.
Record as WAV file 24 bit 192khz

- After the recording I cut the master WAV file into serperate Tracks and name them in Adobe Audition.
- Then I convert the tracks from 24 192khz to 24 bit 96khz and 16 bit 44.1khz using some converting software called Weiss Saracon
- I then use some more software called FLAC Frontendend to convert from WAV to FLAC files
-Tag the files with Foobar 2000 or any other Tagging software

Ripping vinyl is a time consuming process so you want to get it right the first time, when getting my levels for the rip I use a song with a lot of  dynamics so I know I wont be clipping the audio Interface. The software can have a learning curve and easier software / ripping methods exist but I am not very familiar with them.
When I want to listen to vinyl I listen t the physical vinyl record on my turntable, i like the experience. The only reason I really rip records it is to upload and share my rips with a private music Tracker. It is nice to have a personal rip of my albums in the end though, but not necessary for me.

hope this info help

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2017, 03:33 pm »
IMO, vinyl offers no technical/acoustic advantages over digital, especially when digital is done right (as with Bryston's gear).

Best to just obtain the digital version of the album.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2017, 04:45 pm »
hi, Grit!

i am using the Korg MR2000 which is a DSD recorder. Once the analog signal is recorded it can be converted into any other digital formats. The software is Audiogate (made by Korg).
If you don't want/need a 5.6 or 2.8 Mhz DSD file you can choose any other format such as 176.4/24, 96/24, 88.2/24 and so on...the software is very versatile so the user has a lot of options :thumb:

However, recording vinyls always takes time...but once it is done it is a pleasure to listen to it!!

al.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2017, 08:43 am »
Thanks for all of the replies!

I have two very young boys, so the amount of time I can currently spend enjoying music is limited. I think I'd rarely get to sit down and listen to vinyl. I'd rather be able to pick and choose a few select songs from various artists, for which digital is perfect. I believe that in a few years, I'll have more of that time and get to enjoy vinyl. In the meantime, I thought this might be a fun way to enjoy some of the (occasionally) better quality vinyl offers.

- Garrett

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2017, 12:18 pm »
Thanks for all of the replies!

I have two very young boys, so the amount of time I can currently spend enjoying music is limited. I think I'd rarely get to sit down and listen to vinyl. I'd rather be able to pick and choose a few select songs from various artists, for which digital is perfect. I believe that in a few years, I'll have more of that time and get to enjoy vinyl. In the meantime, I thought this might be a fun way to enjoy some of the (occasionally) better quality vinyl offers.

- Garrett

Enjoy the musik, Garrett. Either format, your kids may be the future of this enterprise!
 :thumb:

Phil A

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2017, 03:30 pm »
I started fiddling around with this idea on the cheap, below are some 30 second clips

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yl4h0ryynxyi1ub/Leonard%20Cohen%20Demo%20Fade.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux7548h3clpn0ni/Hozier%20Demo%20Fade.wav?dl=0

Project Debut Carbon, Stock, Orfon 2M
B135 with integrated Phono    <-- forgot this earlier
Aphex IN2 USB ADC
BDP-2 (ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -ar 192000 -i plughw:1,0 -acodec pcm_f32le /media/VIDEO_Audacity_Exports_on_CHRIS-LINUX/file\ name.wav)
Audacity (cut the record side into tracks and convert to flac)
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2017, 06:51 pm by unincognito »

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2017, 03:44 pm »
But before you start ripping like crazy read this...
http://productionadvice.co.uk/tt-meter-not-for-vinyl/

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2017, 01:28 am »
Good posts here.

Given the high price$ of vinyl (new especially), and the extra co$t of "digitizing" vinyl, it's a wonder why some even think of doing it. The hardcore vinyl fans that I know have sworn off digital media -- they consider it blasphemy to digitize their precious vinyl.

Me, if given a choice, I would listen to the digital album first, and if it sounded great, I won't even bother with hearing the vinyl (near-impossible to "audition" vinyl, anyways, unless a friend lends me her vinyl album). I'm not aware of that many albums that are available only as vinyl and not as digital.

cheers

Norton

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2017, 02:43 pm »
I've dipped a toe into this recently and  have  been surprised by just how good the vinyl rips are, to the extent that if I bought digital downloads of the same quality I'd be very satisfied indeed.

My advice would be to try out as follows:

download an evaluation copy of Vinyl Studio

Connect the output of your phono stage or tape out of phono equipped preamp to the line in (probably blue) of your PC ( I used a cheap RCA to 3.5 Jack converter).  In the absence of a blue line in on my PC and contrary to general advice, I was able to successfully use the pink Mic input, which has  separate settings in Windows on my PC for recording level  and gain (I set latter to zero).  Worked a treat.

Check/adjust recording levels, choose format (I use 24/192) and you're away. 

Vinyl Studio is very easy to use.  If you get on with it you can think about getting a decent ADC.  I haven't bothered so far as the results  were so good just using the motherboard audio in of my PC.  Seems logical that it's the quality of the analogue equipment that's paramount in getting good results.  An expensive ADC won't compensate for a poor or maladjusted analogue front end or dirty or worn records.

It's a mystery to me that I can easily create digital files from my vinyl that sound far superior to any CD I own and indeed as good or better than most  of my digital downloads, including examples from the  same original recording. 

srb

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2017, 03:08 pm »
I think it's a good idea to try the procedure for free if you have an analog audio input on your PC (some laptops have no audio input or only a mic input), but I was able to get even better digital recordings on two different desktop PCs using an entry level (~ $100) USB pro audio interface.

BTW, although the physical layout/order of audio jacks on a PC vary, I have yet to find one that deviated from the standard of Line In = Blue and Line Out = Green.

Steve

groovy.guru

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2017, 04:03 pm »
The Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube SC-2 is another option. It looks like an easy to use turnkey solution. Sweet Vinyl demonstrated their wares at Axpona and Newport this past year, and received a favorable review from Michael Fremer. The Sugar Cube comes in two versions, the SC-1 and the SC-2. The SC-1 is a real time click and pop remover that you use while playing records. It apparently does not degrade the sound. The SC-2 is intriguing. As well as performing real time click and pop removal, it also automatically splits tracks and tags the album, and records directly to a USB stick or to your PC.  It records at 192/24 bits. If you have a sizeable vinyl collection that you wish to digitize, and saving time and getting the best quality recordings are a concern, the SC-2 might be the ticket.  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sweetvinyl-sugarcube#/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2017, 04:50 pm »
The Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube SC-2 is another option. It looks like an easy to use turnkey solution. Sweet Vinyl demonstrated their wares at Axpona and Newport this past year, and received a favorable review from Michael Fremer. The Sugar Cube comes in two versions, the SC-1 and the SC-2. The SC-1 is a real time click and pop remover that you use while playing records. It apparently does not degrade the sound. The SC-2 is intriguing. As well as performing real time click and pop removal, it also automatically splits tracks and tags the album, and records directly to a USB stick or to your PC.  It records at 192/24 bits. If you have a sizeable vinyl collection that you wish to digitize, and saving time and getting the best quality recordings are a concern, the SC-2 might be the ticket.  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sweetvinyl-sugarcube#/

Thanks - that SC-2 looks neat ! :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2017, 05:09 pm »
The Sugar Cube stuff does look nice.  Back in he day when I had vinyl, I used a Burwen TNE-7000A