4BSST2 Power-up Fail

adan888

4BSST2 Power-up Fail
« on: 16 Sep 2016, 11:45 am »
 :scratch: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Gents,

My 4BSST2 failed while playing soft volume music, tried to reset the breaker at the back but still doesn't power-up.
My unit is only about two years old. Please help.
Thank you.  :cry:

Regards,
Dan

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: 4BSST2 Power-up Fail
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2016, 01:34 pm »
:scratch: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Gents,

My 4BSST2 failed while playing soft volume music, tried to reset the breaker at the back but still doesn't power-up.
My unit is only about two years old. Please help.
Thank you.  :cry:

Regards,
Dan

Fuse?

jtinto

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2016, 03:18 pm »
Have you tried turning the front switch and the rear breaker switch off, then unplug the power cord for a few minutes.
I've had that same thing happen, and unplugging fixed it for me.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2016, 03:28 pm »
odd that it failed suddenly while playing low-level music. :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2016, 03:29 pm »
This is for the Cubed series but give it a try:

1.   Ensure unit is ‘DISCONNECTED’ from AC power, and the ‘front’ panel power switch is in the off/out position.

2.   Ensure ‘rear’ panel ‘MAINS’ circuit breaker is in ‘ON’ position.

3.   Ensure that the ‘Remote Power Up’ switch (located on the rear panel) is in the ‘Local’ position.

4.   Plug unit into AC power. Observe the "STATUS" led" (located on the rear panel). The "STATUS " led should flash green anywhere from one to seven times (indicating firmware version), then light steady red. At this point, the unit is in standby. The LED(s) on the ‘front’ remain dark.

5.   Press the front panel power switch into the in/on position. Observe the "STATUS" led (located on the rear panel). The "STATUS" led should flash amber (60 Hz) or red (50Hz), then change to green. Also at this time, The ‘front’ LED(s) should illuminate steady red for several seconds, then turn Green or Blue.

Unit should now be operating normally. The rear panel "STATUS" led will stay Green for 15 seconds, then turn off. The front LED(s) should remain illuminate

jtinto

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2016, 03:33 pm »

I think mine was just idling when it happened to me.
It only did it once and I chalked it up to Ontario Hydro.
I assume that unplugging resets an internal protection circuit.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2016, 06:09 pm »
power spikes/storms.... :o

adan888

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2016, 09:10 pm »

It's odd but it did

jtinto

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2016, 09:12 pm »
It's odd but it did

Is it working now Dan?

adan888

« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2016, 09:34 pm »
Is it working now Dan?

Still no joy, tried James's procedure but still no joy, sent an email to Bryston, got the same reply from Brian.
By the way, where can I locate the rear status LED? I got 2 units of 4BSST2 but couldn't find the rear Status LED, 2013 year of manufacture for both of them.
Btw they are 240 volts unit here in Australia.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2016, 10:38 pm »
Curious...do you have this plugged into the wall or a power strip/cond?

adan888

« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2016, 11:24 pm »
Curious...do you have this plugged into the wall or a power strip/cond?
It's always been on the wall as my 2nd unit.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2016, 05:17 am »
Still no joy, tried James's procedure but still no joy, sent an email to Bryston, got the same reply from Brian.
By the way, where can I locate the rear status LED? I got 2 units of 4BSST2 but couldn't find the rear Status LED, 2013 year of manufacture for both of them.
Btw they are 240 volts unit here in Australia.

I don't believe there is a rear LED on the SST2 series. That particular item (I believe) is unique to the B3 series.

I played havoc getting my amp to start one night after doing some rewiring (I know this isn't your situation). What I THINK caused the problem was a mismatch somewhere between the input and output wires. I'll spare you the rest, but you might consider unplugging everything (speakers and inputs too). Give it 10 minutes, then plug power (only) in. Flip the breaker to on, and then try the front switch. If that works, power off, connect only ONE wire at a time and power back up.

Ultimately, you may find one of your wires is causing the problem. If not, you'll have at least isolated the problem to either your power outlet, the power cord, or the amp itself.

- Garrett

adan888

« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2016, 06:00 am »
I don't believe there is a rear LED on the SST2 series. That particular item (I believe) is unique to the B3 series.

I played havoc getting my amp to start one night after doing some rewiring (I know this isn't your situation). What I THINK caused the problem was a mismatch somewhere between the input and output wires. I'll spare you the rest, but you might consider unplugging everything (speakers and inputs too). Give it 10 minutes, then plug power (only) in. Flip the breaker to on, and then try the front switch. If that works, power off, connect only ONE wire at a time and power back up.

Ultimately, you may find one of your wires is causing the problem. If not, you'll have at least isolated the problem to either your power outlet, the power cord, or the amp itself.

- Garrett
I have disconnected all the wirings but the power cable, still doesn't power-up. Checked fuse F1 but F2 I believe is blown as the resistance is more than 2meg ohms, as per schematic, this fuse feeds the bridge rectifier for the  PIC +Vss which in turn drives the relay to power-up the main power transformers. Will wait for official Bryston response why the fuse failed, there could be more than simply just a blown fuse. Not 100% sure of the other parts as the pc board rev is not the same as the available schematic from Bryston.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2016, 10:05 am »
I have disconnected all the wirings but the power cable, still doesn't power-up. Checked fuse F1 but F2 I believe is blown as the resistance is more than 2meg ohms, as per schematic, this fuse feeds the bridge rectifier for the  PIC +Vss which in turn drives the relay to power-up the main power transformers. Will wait for official Bryston response why the fuse failed, there could be more than simply just a blown fuse. Not 100% sure of the other parts as the pc board rev is not the same as the available schematic from Bryston.

Hi

Have you got in touch with the Australian distributor - he may be able to help.

james

adan888

« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2016, 10:18 am »
Hi

Have you got in touch with the Australian distributor - he may be able to help.

james

Hi James,
 I tried calling Busisoft this morning but no one picked-up the phone, will try again on Monday. Thanks

PS
If someone from Bryston can walk me through to the test procedure, I'd be glad to do it myself.  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2016, 11:45 am »
Hi James,
 I tried calling Busisoft this morning but no one picked-up the phone, will try again on Monday. Thanks

PS
If someone from Bryston can walk me through to the test procedure, I'd be glad to do it myself.  :thumb:

Email Mike at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2016, 01:55 pm »

You should replace F2 first. Then if no change, have Bryston/dealer investigate the innards of that amp.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 19 Sep 2016, 06:21 pm »
@adan, any luck?

adan888

« Reply #19 on: 20 Sep 2016, 12:08 am »
@adan, any luck?

Hi Canadian Maestro,

Mike Pickett replied to my email and also contacted Bryston dealer here in Sydney but looks like they are not in a rush to get it repaired.  :duh: :evil: :evil:
They said they are going to look at it but they did not say which year!  :scratch:

Had the same issue with them last year and they always drag their feet and even trying to avoid it completely.
They Australian dealer is different now but they seem to employ the same people. :nono: