BP25 Right Channel not working

Adams888

BP25 Right Channel not working
« on: 25 Dec 2014, 10:04 pm »
My 14 year old Bryston BP25 stopped putting out sound from the right channel.  It does not matter whether I use balanced or unbalanced outputs and is the same for all inputs. Any clues on what the problem could be? Is there an internal fuse that may be blown?  Thanks for your help.

Bill

yioryos

Re: BP25 Right Channel not working
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2014, 04:33 am »
I have a BP-20 and one day out of the blue,the cd was giving me sound only on the left side.It turned out to be the RCA jack that Bryston fixed for me.Maybe your RCA outputs are acting up too.
George

Adams888

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2014, 05:44 pm »
Thanks but I don't believe this is due to an RCA jack issue.  The problem exists using the balanced outputs.  I switched out the BP25 with an old Adcom pre-amp and everything works fine.  Must be a blown fuse but I have not found any discussions about this nor instructions on how to fix.  Will likely take to Audio Consultants in Chicago to see if they can repair it.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2014, 06:30 pm »
Thanks but I don't believe this is due to an RCA jack issue.  The problem exists using the balanced outputs.  I switched out the BP25 with an old Adcom pre-amp and everything works fine.  Must be a blown fuse but I have not found any discussions about this nor instructions on how to fix.  Will likely take to Audio Consultants in Chicago to see if they can repair it.

Could have missed it, but I don't see any fuses in the schematic (that doesn't mean there is not one - I am so-so at best at reading them and usually will only fix a bad solder joint on my own) - http://bryston.com/PDF/Schematics/BP25_SCHEMATICS.pdf

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2014, 06:22 pm »
My 14 year old Bryston BP25 stopped putting out sound from the right channel.  It does not matter whether I use balanced or unbalanced outputs and is the same for all inputs. Any clues on what the problem could be? Is there an internal fuse that may be blown?  Thanks for your help.

Bill

Hi Bill

Had a similar problem with my BP25 a few years ago, yours may or may not have the same problem but I managed to solve mine by cleaning the input selector contacts.

My system appreciation has been fairly consistent until just recently, balance starting swinging to the right, which I blamed on allergies, then I felt my vinyl sounded a bit distorted which I blamed on the cartridge/needle, then there was a bit of leakage and buzzing from the phono to the balance 1 input, also there was an increase in static when turning the input selector, at which point giving the input selector a couple of back and forth rotations hoping to self clean the contacts I lost volume on the left channel of the phono stage and then the other inputs. :bawl:
Well to make a long story short I did the normal trouble shooting and came to the conclusion the BP25P was the culprit :idea:, so before sending her off to Bryton I popped the lid.

The contacts for the input selectors are not completely sealed although there is a partial plastic covering, by saturating the corner of a very thin piece of paper with methyl hydrate I was able to clean the contact points and voila all of the above mentioned problems were eradicated  :banana piano: and the selector noise which was always there from day one was also cleared up, zero static, silent. Maybe even the erratic tick I hear from time to time when playing the BCD-1 was attributable to a dirty contact but only time will tell.
So with a little internal house everything sounds better than I ever remember. :beer:

Adams888

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2015, 06:26 pm »
Thank you all for your suggestions.  Many of these are a little out of my league,so I will likely take the BP25 back to Audio Consultants where I purchased it.  As suggested by another poster, they should be able to figur e it out, including sending it back to Bryston if necessary.  Happy New Year!

Bill

Adams888

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2015, 12:50 am »
Dropped off the BP-25 at Audio Consultants last week.  Will report on what the diagnosis is when I hear back from them. 

Bill

Adams888

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2015, 08:02 pm »
Good news. Audio Consultants could not figure out cause of right channel being out.  They sent BP25 back to Bryston who repaired it and my BP25 is back home and working fine.  Bryston did not provide report about what may have been the problem but all that matters is that they stand behind their warranty - best in the business.  Thanks Bryston!

Bill

Toolbox149

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2017, 08:25 pm »
Did anybody ever get back to you on where the fuse is?  Is it in the preamp or is it in the power supply? 

Anybody have any experience with upgrading the fuse in one of these?

Mesanjah05

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2017, 05:33 pm »
Folks,
A few months back one channel on my kit stopped working.  I thought it was one of my amp, 7B2 and took it back to Bryston. On the bench it checked out perfectly.  Speaking with Mike he suggested toggling the switches on the front of the BP 25 unit, while switched off.  Sceptical, I did as instructed and my problem resolved.  He informed me that without usage issues can develop that effected the pre's performance.  Now every once in a while I toggle the switches as a bit of maintenance.  I love Bryston for the service they provide and some of it is of a very simple nature.  I am not the technical type, so there straightforward advice is greatly appreciated.