NX-Treme Networks & final Assembly

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: NX-Treme Networks & final Assembly
« Reply #20 on: 25 Sep 2017, 01:16 pm »
Those look awesome!  I'm just talking about the crossovers.  They're as big as an amp!  The speakers are like fine art.  If I could afford all of those drivers I'd probably just slap a coat of duratex on 'em and call it a day. 

Most impressive.  :notworthy:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 25 Sep 2017, 05:16 pm »
Agreed - great job!  There's just something about big speakers that small speakers can never quite replicate.  I wish I had room for really tall speakers like that.  And you made almost the exact same choices I made in crossover parts when I made changes to my Super 7's.  They make a huge difference in tone and naturalness of the sound. 

gaelen5

« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2017, 02:25 am »
I was able to get some pics - I'm not sure how much better they are than Captainhemo's, but here they are anyway. These speakers are such hard things to get a accurate picture of because they need a lot of light to show the detail, yet they give back such intense reflections since they're so glassy!

I'll comment at more length in a listening impressions thread, but I completely agree with Captainhemo's comments about these. I've heard the whole series now, and own a pair of MTMs, but these are on a different level. Obviously a similar signature with the same tweeter and mids, but man, the scale is HUGE! I commented to Captainhemo that the sound reminded me of when I went to visit a friend who has a dedicated theatre with 3 open baffle Linkwitz LX521 speakers, 4 massive subs, full surrounds, in a 22'x24' treated room (the experience that led me to discover GR Research, actually). Yet, we were in a big open living room with barely any treatment and stereo speakers. It was incredible sound, and they're still a ways away from being broken in.

I'm not listing my MTM's for sale or anything like that, but if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd be building a pair of these.

ebag4

« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2017, 02:45 am »
WOW Jay!  Those look incredible, I am really digging that finish that you and Gaelen chose, very nice.   Those are the first pair of Danny's tweeter I have seen in use, any noticeable difference from the BGs?

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #24 on: 26 Sep 2017, 03:11 am »
Thanks for posting  some feeback and your  pics Gaelen,  was a fun   session yesterday afternoon.    These things have a   long way to go,      very  low hours on them at this point but   very impressive thus far.
Ed,   it's really hard to   compare the new tweeters to the  originals as  these networks  are using   such different  components  than what   we've used in the past.  At some point, we do plan to build out the stock networks to  do  some comparisions.   At this point in time, the  new tweeters  sound exellent, they are  extremely clean  and   easilly  equal the Serenity's I've  heard.... possibly better  I don't  know   yet. Would love to replace  a set of the Serenity's in a pair  of MTm's I have   here to   compare... may be  in the near fuure.   Either way, it's all good  :)

Anand,  yeah, I like the  idea of  some clear boxes  , will have to see   where it goes.

Tyson,    I had used the  original Clarity MR's in an amp upgrade  once  and was impressed by them.  When the  new  C series of the MR  and  SA  (CMR /CSA) came out,  they seemed like a   good  path.    We'll have to see where  those  Dueland silvers   as bypas caps  go  on the high pass, time will tell.  The Jupiters on the   mids    work well,  been using them on a pair of  Ottica's for  quite  some time now.

jay

jimbones

« Reply #25 on: 26 Sep 2017, 10:56 am »
Cue the soundtrack for 2001, a space odyyssey sp

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2017, 01:06 pm »
Those look really nice with the finish!  Congratulations on the build!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 26 Sep 2017, 03:24 pm »
Those are fantastic looking and fantastically HUGE!!!  :thumb:

I'd love to hear them. Hey I know! You can bring them down to Dallas in May for LSAF! Yeah that sounds like a great idea!  :green:

Mike

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #28 on: 26 Sep 2017, 06:22 pm »
All I have to say is WOW!

Tyson

« Reply #29 on: 26 Sep 2017, 06:27 pm »
Tyson,    I had used the  original Clarity MR's in an amp upgrade  once  and was impressed by them.  When the  new  C series of the MR  and  SA  (CMR /CSA) came out,  they seemed like a   good  path.    We'll have to see where  those  Dueland silvers   as bypas caps  go  on the high pass, time will tell.  The Jupiters on the   mids    work well,  been using them on a pair of  Ottica's for  quite  some time now.

jay

IME it takes about 500 hours for the Clarity and Jupiter caps to fully burn in.  Never tried Dueland so not sure what to expect there.  If memory serves, the thing that will change is just how open everything starts to get.  The first 100 hours or so, everything is tonally beautiful, but a bit closed off sounding.  If you think the speakers sound BIG now, just you wait!  Haha  :thumb:

Ron

« Reply #30 on: 26 Sep 2017, 10:14 pm »

Great build job Jay. Your NX-Tremes look absolutely fantastic!  I really like the paint color. It looks great !  Since the crossovers are so large did you have to mount them external to the cabinet ? Man, really wish I could audition them. The sound quality has got to be nothing short of amazing. 
Keep up the good work.

Ron

jimbones

« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep 2017, 12:35 am »
Jay its like the WAMMs of OBs!! Nice work

ttan98

« Reply #32 on: 27 Sep 2017, 01:32 am »
Hi,

Looks impressive, as for x-over maybe using Minidsp 2*4HD maybe cheaper and more flexible.
Enjoy after you finish.

Captainhemo

« Reply #33 on: 27 Sep 2017, 02:33 am »
this  pair   has actually been built for don and his wife to enjoy , they  reside in   their living room  now.  I'm  just lucky I get to hang  out there frequently    :thumb:

Tyson,    yup,  understand the lon breakin times,  have   used lots of  sc Platinums, Jupiter Coppers,  Clarity  etc.   Not sure people  really  relate to just how  long it  does take ,  I'd totally agree   that things  just open up.... I often feel    things just seem  "easier' for the  speakers  when you get to a certain point.

Mike,   man,  dallas would be a fun time but    3400+ km's from here  ,  33 + hrs driving time  .  Don't see it in my  crystal ball :(

Yes, external c/o's Ron .   Connections were made   with  5 sets of tube connectors  ( 2  inputs  on each netowrk for possible futre byamping,  3 sets of  outs on each.  Makes it easy if   we ever want tot try active but   we   wanted these  to use passive netowrks.

Jin,  :beer:
ttan98,  see above  with regards to active  networks,.   If we were to try that route at some point, we'd likely be  talking to rich (HAL) but  more  amps  would be  needed and not in the cards at the moment.

Need Don to get back into town so  I can go back up there and listen some  more,  . 

jay   !

ttan98

« Reply #34 on: 27 Sep 2017, 03:16 am »

ttan98,  see above  with regards to active  networks,.   If we were to try that route at some point, we'd likely be  talking to rich (HAL) but  more  amps  would be  needed and not in the cards at the moment.

Need Don to get back into town so  I can go back up there and listen some  more,  . 

jay   !

Your caps and inductors already cost you a fortune, Minisdsp 2*8HD costs $200 and digital amps are now very cheap many models to choose from.

Captainhemo

« Reply #35 on: 27 Sep 2017, 03:54 am »
Your caps and inductors already cost you a fortune, Minisdsp 2*8HD costs $200 and digital amps are now very cheap many models to choose from.

If  miniDSP's are how you want to implement  your build,   feel free to do so. Not everyone wants to go to active networks just like  there are many folks who don't want to go to a digital front end, many peopole  love their analog  sources, many  love their analog/valve amplifiers ... the list goes on.
I don't know a ton about   the minDSP but from what i understand, there are far better digtital solutions out there. Yeah, they are cheap and i guess  serve a purpose but from what I've heard, they  can tend to suck the life out of  music reproduction and  that's not something  we wanted to entertain.  As mentined, if we  were going to try  anything active, we'd be chatting with  Rich and I know   of another  fellow working on some  new   things.
As for the  digital amps,  yeah   they are good, I've got a few myself but they're isn't where this system  is going AFAIK.

ttan98

« Reply #36 on: 27 Sep 2017, 04:47 am »
If  miniDSP's are how you want to implement  your build,   feel free to do so. Not everyone wants to go to active networks just like  there are many folks who don't want to go to a digital front end, many peopole  love their analog  sources, many  love their analog/valve amplifiers ... the list goes on.
I don't know a ton about   the minDSP but from what i understand, there are far better digtital solutions out there. Yeah, they are cheap and i guess  serve a purpose but from what I've heard, they  can tend to suck the life out of  music reproduction and  that's not something  we wanted to entertain.  As mentined, if we  were going to try  anything active, we'd be chatting with  Rich and I know   of another  fellow working on some  new   things.
As for the  digital amps,  yeah   they are good, I've got a few myself but they're isn't where this system  is going AFAIK.

It is up to you how you want to implement your DIY, I have no financial interest in the Mindsp company, I use a combination of active and passive(yes caps and inductors) devices, Minidsp is one cost effective and yet flexible way and more importantly sound quite good. Overall a combo of active and passive give me that.
Really I don't want to intrude into your project but just to highlight to you that's all. End of story.

pdg540

« Reply #37 on: 27 Sep 2017, 05:16 am »
"Need Don to get back into town so  I can go back up there and listen some  more,  .

jay   !"

Not without his monoblocks and I'm quite enjoying them. I'd give it a few weeks Jay  :lol:

Captainhemo

« Reply #38 on: 27 Sep 2017, 06:39 am »
It is up to you how you want to implement your DIY, I have no financial interest in the Mindsp company, I use a combination of active and passive(yes caps and inductors) devices, Minidsp is one cost effective and yet flexible way and more importantly sound quite good. Overall a combo of active and passive give me that.
Really I don't want to intrude into your project but just to highlight to you that's all. End of story.

You're not inturding man.  totally get you were  suggesting an alternate direction.... I was just saying it  wasn't something we were   looking at  for  a few different reasons

Not without his monoblocks and I'm quite enjoying them. I'd give it a few weeks Jay  :lol:

Bet you'd enjoy them more if it were winter  !

jay

Tyson

« Reply #39 on: 27 Sep 2017, 03:12 pm »
Are you using the servo subs with these?  Also are they running as 2 ways or 3 ways?