Field coil drivers

richidoo

Re: Field coil drivers
« Reply #40 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:40 am »
richidoo, The reasoning is sound, experience tells otherwise, regulated supplies are not the best sounding on field coils.

Regulator quality varies like amplifiers. There are regulators that are fast enough to play music well, like Belleson.

You're right, if you're using power supplies from the 1930's :roll:

That happens to be what I said, vintage PS. Don't be so rude Folsom.

shooter

« Reply #41 on: 4 Aug 2017, 04:21 am »
If you guys think regulated supply is the way to go, go ahead!
Several few field coil speakers manufacturers has discovered otherwise, I have nothing more to contribute.

Folsom

« Reply #42 on: 4 Aug 2017, 04:38 am »
Seems too good, I would like it if these promises are fulfilled since it be controlled by hand, not automatic or pre regulated.

It would be auto. It would respond with the music. Think of it as a moving regulation.

As far as I know, no such thing exists.

Bumpy

« Reply #43 on: 4 Aug 2017, 10:29 am »
Several few field coil speakers manufacturers has discovered otherwise, I have nothing more to contribute.

Interesting. Do you have any links you can share?

Bumpy

« Reply #44 on: 4 Aug 2017, 10:32 am »
OK

Here's another question

Has anyone ever encountered a field coil midrange (8") incorporated into a 3 way open baffle using alnico permanent magnet drivers for the highs and lows?

shooter

« Reply #45 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:08 pm »
Bumpy, you can contact me through private message.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #46 on: 4 Aug 2017, 06:02 pm »
In power tube amps PS regulated are rarely used, they are know to limit the power avaliable.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #47 on: 4 Aug 2017, 06:34 pm »
OK

Here's another question

Has anyone ever encountered a field coil midrange (8") incorporated into a 3 way open baffle using alnico permanent magnet drivers for the highs and lows?

Lotus Audio Grenada is pretty close, it doesn't need a tweeter though. The main driver is a Feastrex field coil that goes for around $50k/pair...  :o

lowrideris

« Reply #48 on: 31 Jan 2018, 10:30 pm »
dear shooter, please tell me what power suplly i must make, or buy to power supravox 215-2000EXC speakers  ?
i know what car battery is best option, but constant rechargint is sooo anyoing. linear power supply , lets say 12v capable of 10Amps. for me would be sooo good. please give some links or just more specific info, not just this is good this is not. be more specific, thanks,:)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #49 on: 31 Jan 2018, 11:14 pm »
dear shooter, please tell me what power suplly i must make, or buy to power supravox 215-2000EXC speakers  ?
i know what car battery is best option, but constant rechargint is sooo anyoing. linear power supply , lets say 12v capable of 10Amps. for me would be sooo good. please give some links or just more specific info, not just this is good this is not. be more specific, thanks,:)
According Supravox the supply useful points are 8V to 13V scroll down the page, a tube supply would be great:
https://www.supravox.fr/anglais/haut_parleurs/215_2000_EXC.htm
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2018, 04:45 am by FullRangeMan »

lowrideris

« Reply #50 on: 3 Feb 2018, 02:58 pm »
i can read:) i know what supravox says.
i asked, what power supply to use ? batery is very anoying with constand charges, and voltage drop during listening session.
i need as i know current regulated power supply,or LCLC type power supply, i just need tested schematics of them :)

plasmapan

« Reply #51 on: 24 Jul 2023, 02:09 pm »

Really 10 amps needed to drive a Supravox field coil 215?

I do want to build my own Supravox field-coil speakers but I cannot get the proper info about the required current at 12V per driver. If anyone can help...

Thanks!

Gianluca

richidoo

« Reply #52 on: 24 Jul 2023, 10:48 pm »
Really 10 amps needed to drive a Supravox field coil 215?

I do want to build my own Supravox field-coil speakers but I cannot get the proper info about the required current at 12V per driver. If anyone can help...

Thanks!😆 :(

Gianluca

Field coil uses DC supply, so use ohm's law to determine current requirement of power supply by measuring the resistance of the field coil in your driver then:
Current = Voltage / Resistance

What's more important is the wattage rating of the field coil, which you can look up in the published specs of the driver. FC drivers sound better with stronger magnetic field which increases with applied power. But the windings will burn if the power rating is exceeded so figure out what voltage makes max power before you energize as it's easier to monitor voltage than power when energizing coil.

ohms law calculator:
https://www.calculator.net/ohms-law-calculator.html