OB-W maximum usable frequency.

aceinc

OB-W maximum usable frequency.
« on: 30 Apr 2017, 01:00 pm »
Danny, what is the maximum usable frequency I should be able to get out of a 12" OB/W cabinet?

What amplifier settings can I use to get that?

I was hoping to get up to 200 hz. The parametric equalizer only shows up to 80 hz, I would like to get a boost in the 100-150 hz range to cover a dip from the mid/tweeter cabinet I built.

Danny Richie

Re: OB-W maximum usable frequency.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2017, 01:59 pm »
Keep in mind that numbers on the crossover control relate to electrical references and not crossover points. Crossing over points are where each driver or set of drivers are both 6db down.

For example crossing in the 200Hz range with the OB woofers typically requires a setting on the dial in the 90 to 100Hz range.

Crossover points in the 300Hz range are possible.

Peaks and dips in the room response above 80Hz is not as common as ranges below. So the EQ will usually handle any room peaks or dips pretty easily and with the open baffle woofers that is already minimized especially when working a little with room placement.

aceinc

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2017, 05:12 pm »
I'm confused (not unusual).

Say I had no mid/tweeter cabinet. I, for whatever reason wanted to play the OB/W full range. Say I am sending a full range signal to the Speaker level input of the OB/W amplifier.

How can I set the OB/W amplifier so I get the maximum frequency range from the cabinet?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2017, 06:27 pm »

How can I set the OB/W amplifier so I get the maximum frequency range from the cabinet?
Turn the knob marked "frequency" to the right. 

aceinc

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2017, 07:04 pm »
The only knob labeled close to Frequency is "Freq" and it seems to be for use in the Parametric equalizer. There is a knob labelled "Crossover" which based on the documentation seems to only be used for when the line level is used.

The only control that seems to be related is the "Low Pass switch." Perhaps Ext/12 is the switch I need.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2017, 07:24 pm »
There is an instruction manual that comes with the amp.

There is also a huge amount of information here: http://gr-research.com/a370peq.aspx

And the knob labeled "Crossover" is always used and always in the circuit regardless of what input you use. It controls how high you want it to play.

The "Low Pass" switch gives you the option of leaving it in the middle and allowing complete control of the slope to be left to the position of the "Crossover" knob with a 12db per octave slope. The 50Hz setting adds an additional 12db per octave slope at 50Hz but the Crossover knob is still being used also. Likewise the 80Hz setting adds an additional 12db per octave slope at 80Hz.

The combination of the two allows for a wide range of slope and adjustments for various applications.