Encore XLS Speakers

nature boy

Encore XLS Speakers
« on: 13 Mar 2017, 02:23 pm »
Just wanted to send a shout out of thanks to Danny and Mike Lundy.  Mike recently built a pair of excellent MDF cabinets for my Encore XLS kit that have been sitting around for a few years.  The kit included the Sonicap upgrade. 

Here are some pictures of the finished speakers with DuraTex finish that Mike applied.  He also installed a sheet of NoRez as part of the build.  The cabinet build quality was exceptional, so those of you who need speaker cabinets built give Mike (mlundy) a shout.

Cheers,

NB

« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2017, 05:12 pm by nature boy »

jeffh

Re: Encore XLS Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2017, 02:27 pm »
Those look very nice, and I bet they sound good too.

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2017, 02:35 pm »
They sound very good out of the gate even driven with my little 10 watt Sophia Baby integrated amp.  Will likely open up a bit after caps and drivers get some time on them. 

NB

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2017, 03:26 pm »
Necely done  guys !   Enjoy  the  Encores NB  :thumb:

jay

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2017, 04:42 pm »
Nice, NB!

mlundy's skills are well known here and I personally like Duratex finishes, too.

Enjoy!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2017, 05:42 pm »
Those look great!  I recommend spreading them out as wide as you can and toeing them in towards the listening position.

danvprod

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2017, 05:50 pm »
That DuraTex finish looks really really good.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2017, 06:27 pm »
Glad they're working out for you.

As you get more hours on them they will open up. When I'm breaking in new speakers I let them play all day long while I'm gone. I set up a playlist that has different types of music and start off with them playing at low volume. Then each day increase the volume a little. After a week or so they should be fully broken in.

While they sound good with low wattage amps (I have driven my X-LS Encores with as little as a 5wpc OddWatt tube amp before), they sound even better with more power. So they have a lot of room to grow.

Mike

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2017, 06:29 pm »
That DuraTex finish looks really really good.

+1.  I have always liked it - the coverage of "truck bed liner" without the stench!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2017, 06:39 pm »
+1.  I have always liked it - the coverage of "truck bed liner" without the stench!

Definitely no stench. Almost no smell whatsoever.

On the other hand, do wear old clothes when applying it. The roller throws off little black dots of material (as rollers tend to do). While DuraTex wipes off easily when its wet (provided you see it), once this stuff dries there is no getting it out.

nature boy

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:21 pm »
Glad they're working out for you.

As you get more hours on them they will open up. When I'm breaking in new speakers I let them play all day long while I'm gone. I set up a playlist that has different types of music and start off with them playing at low volume. Then each day increase the volume a little. After a week or so they should be fully broken in.

While they sound good with low wattage amps (I have driven my X-LS Encores with as little as a 5wpc OddWatt tube amp before), they sound even better with more power. So they have a lot of room to grow.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  I'll try them out with my "soon to arrive" Decware Mystery amp and CSP3 preamp in my main system.

NB

roscoe65

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:21 am »
Nice speakers NB.  I have a pair of XLS Encores that Ruben made for me a couple of years back before he disappeared.  I'm currently pairing them with an X-CS center channel as the front array of my HT.  I've just received my second Rhythmik F8 subwoofer that also doubles as a stand for the XLS Encore.  Even driven with a 50 wpc Marantz AVR they really get up and go in my room.  I use them crossed over at 80hz, so that may help (along with 1,200 watts into 4 8" subwoofer drivers) them give me all the dynamics I need.

I have a local shop that does nice mid fi stuff, including KEF and Marantz.  I've had a chance to hear the KEF LS50's driven by a similar Marantz integrated amp and can say that I preferred the XLS.  They aren't as flashy as the KEF but definitely are less fatiguing.

I haven't tried them with tubes yet but have a 12wpc Inspire amp that might make them happy.