This is fun!

Danny Richie

Re: This is fun!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2016, 07:09 pm »
Ric, Danny (Ritchie)
Interesting about the felt. The GR LS-9 crossover has a notch filter built in to combat a rise in response at about 9K Hz (I think). According to my friend (a speaker mfgr.), the rise does not appear to be a resonance in the NEO-8 speaker itself, but rather in the way it is implemented. He suggested that I use felt, as your friend has. I have resisted doing that: A) because I am lazy; B) because it might look butt ugly on my beautiful Ruben-Herrera built baffles; C) I don't know what kind of felt to try.

Any further thoughts (on the felt, that is; not my laziness)?

The felt won't change the response in that range. At 9kHz and up they are very directional and the felt will have no effect.

BTW, the peak in the Neo 8 (and in this case a custom Neo 8) is a t 13kHz. And it is only a few db in the line source configuration. I could just let it go without the notch filter, but the perfectionist in me sticks one in there.

And the implementation has nothing to do with the peak.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2016, 07:11 pm »
I also tried covering edges of the Super 7 with felt all around the neo 10's, but it zero measurable effect on the response.

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2016, 07:15 pm »

So Danny how wide for the front baffle, and how long would the wings need to be using a U frame?

Thanks

If you go from an H frame to a U frame you have to REALLY increase the stiffness of the U as your chance for resonance issues goes up a lot. It is also more like one big port rather then two shorter ones. So you can only play it half as high to keep upper frequency range overtones from causing a cavity resonance.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jan 2017, 04:29 am »
Harold finally got all his xover parts in and assembled them.  He says it sounds way, way better than the ordinary parts he first used.  Mind blowing.  These are Clarity Cap CMRs bypassed by .022 copper foils from Jupiter and also the larger cap on the tweeters is also bypassed by a modded .15 Wima cap that you cannot see in the pic.  The Jantzen wax paper copper foil coils are 12 gauge for the mids and looks like 16? gauge for the tweets.  All wire is 14 gauge litz PCOCC braided Neotech (from Zenwave).  He is bi-wiring from his mono block Odyssey amps.  The xovers are on plywood with a sheet of cardboard on top.  The coils are just sitting on the cardboard but the caps are glued down.  He is going into the inside of the coils and coming out the outside of the coils.  Basically he did what I told him....good boy...now enjoy....and he is.  He is going to make some better interconnects and by the time he has that done I will be sending him his all out modded Gustard Pro DAC that is sounding out of this world amazing at the moment.  Of course, all connections to the xover and from the xover to the drivers are hardwired....including at the speakers.....we don't need no stinkin connectors! You can see a huge version of this pic in my gallery.

THROWBACK

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jan 2017, 02:07 pm »
What a coincidence: so did I (get new crossover parts). I 'm starting off modestly with Jantzen wax paper foil coils and Jupiter bypass caps in the mid/tweeter circuit (as suggested by Tyson). The only problem is form factor. The Jantzens are much bigger than the coils they replace, so we (includes my friend with a quick-draw Weller soldering gun and holster) are mounting them off the main board (pictures later).

Captainhemo

« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2017, 09:12 pm »
A 33.3 uF CMR beside a 25 uF Sonicap Gen 1.

jay