SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling

SlushPuppy

Re: SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling
« Reply #140 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:14 am »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:18 am by SlushPuppy »

mwalker2

« Reply #141 on: 13 Jan 2018, 12:41 pm »
Cheers Slush, thanks. I have granite floors, upstream are PS Audio (now installing Red Cloud on Directstream DAC), PS Audio Directstrem Memory player NuClear NC1000 amp Audio Fire Preamp with a Rhytmik F2 12" Servo sub. Are you bi-wired? I will consider your suggested footing however, what I am mostly interested (when you are finished) is in your room treatment. BTW, pictures would do wonders. Thank you!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #142 on: 16 Jan 2018, 11:03 pm »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:18 am by SlushPuppy »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #143 on: 16 Jan 2018, 11:43 pm »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:19 am by SlushPuppy »

mwalker2

« Reply #144 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:18 am »
Well slush, it is always good when you learn of a fellow audiophile who has reached (or is about to reach) audio Nirvana where he or she can say: This is it! Is anyone familiar with Stein Music h2 Harmonizer. If so, I would welcome an opinion. They operate on a similar purpose as the Lyngdorf.
Slush, since I am a neophyte  with regards to room treatment, based on your final results, I may mimic you so please keep us posted. Cheers

RolandButcher

« Reply #145 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:04 pm »
So major improvements were made today. I spent a few hours moving my large area rug, played with toe-in, and pulled my speakers out further into the room. The inner side of the baffles are now 39" from the back wall and pulling them further into the room made little improvement. My listening position is [almost] an equilateral triangle now. I ditched J River on my music server because it wasn't playing well with the Lyngdorf USB driver (numerous pops - even with a maxed-out buffer). Now running Roon and am stunned at the results. I was only hoping to get rid of the pops and wasn't expecting such an improvement in sound quality. After all of that I ran RoomPerfect on the Lyngdorf for the first time and that made the biggest difference of all. I still need room treatments, but this feature is flat-out amazing! You press start on the menu, move the supplied microphone around to 6 or 7 random locations, then you're done. Takes about 25 minutes. How much of an improvement? Disabling it made the music almost unlistenable (in comparison). I've never heard anything that made such an improvement in sound quality. You almost have to hear it to believe it. So, I'm nearly there and am really glad the X2's were announced at the exact time I was looking to upgrade my system :-)Cheers!
Slush

Congratulations on the X2s!  They seem like the perfect speaker for me - I'll have to start saving my pennies.  I'm impressed that Clayton managed to get down to 18Hz bass with such a simple OB design.  Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions and reading some professional reviews as well.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #146 on: 21 Jan 2018, 05:06 am »

mwalker2

« Reply #147 on: 21 Jan 2018, 12:35 pm »
Slush, it certainly appears you've reached the place where you can just sit, relax and enjoy. Two questions: a) My ICE based amp is 8 ohms and so is my Rhytmik F-12 sub BUT Spatial X2 is only 4 ohms. Any issues with this? ...and b) How is your room treatment coming along

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #148 on: 21 Jan 2018, 01:40 pm »
Slush, it certainly appears you've reached the place where you can just sit, relax and enjoy. Two questions: a) My ICE based amp is 8 ohms and so is my Rhytmik F-12 sub BUT Spatial X2 is only 4 ohms. Any issues with this? ...and b) How is your room treatment coming along

Mwalker,

Your Nuclear amp is based on the ICE module (1000ASP). The specs are here:

http://newclearaudio.com/?page_id=99

I would say you have nothing to worry about if you are concerned with compatibilities with 4 ohm impedances.

Your Rythmik sub is it’s own entity with its own sub amp/dsp/crossover, etc...the impedance is not relevant here, so I would not worry.

Best,
Anand.

mwalker2

« Reply #149 on: 21 Jan 2018, 01:52 pm »
Thanks Anand for a quick and enlightening response however the name to my pain lies in my Audio Fire Preamp designed by Henry Ho 9 years ago as it gets super hot (it is its innate quality to get hot, but not sure if all these apperant mismatches could be an added factor). I am now less tha 2 weeks away from getting the Spatial's X2, which will replace Tyler D1. Thanks for your contribution

Shredder

« Reply #150 on: 21 Jan 2018, 02:49 pm »
The x2s are on my upgrade short list (to replace Aerial Model 9s). I would be interested in some information about how this speaker compares to other speakers with which you (any x2 owner) are familiar. I am also interested in how they sound off-axis and how wide is the sweet spot. And, of course, any overall review would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris_B

« Reply #151 on: 22 Jan 2018, 02:03 am »
I've never heard a loudspeaker sound so good at low volume settings. The volume on my Lyngdorf integrated amp is currently -25.5 and the music is completely filling my listening room. Imaging and bass are incredible! "Henry" and "Who am I" by Peace Orchestra sound amazing.

Great to hear. Please keep up the comments.  For those deciding to order the X2's, your impressions are exciting.  It is especially nice to hear that they are impressive when listening at low volume levels.

Chris

SlushPuppy

« Reply #152 on: 22 Jan 2018, 02:45 am »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #153 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:07 am »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:20 am by SlushPuppy »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #154 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:15 am »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:20 am by SlushPuppy »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #155 on: 3 Feb 2018, 02:36 am »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:21 am by SlushPuppy »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #156 on: 3 Feb 2018, 05:37 am »
After treating your room, plus having bought one of the best speakers on the planet, life on AC is gonna suck for you.  Your postings will generally be limited to "My system sounds so AWESOME!!!"  Haha, and it'll be true :) :thumb:

mwalker2

« Reply #157 on: 5 Feb 2018, 02:53 am »
Hello Tyson: I am anticipating  arrival of my X-2's in 12-14 days to replace my Tyson D-1's what should I expect soundwise. My gear is basically PS Audio Directstream with Red Cloud OS DAC, Directstream player, Audio Fire preamp, NewClear1000L Ice based amp and Stein H2 room correction cubes.
SlushPuppy, please don't forget to post pictures and report your impressions once you implement your room treatment before you post the inevitable: "My system sounds so AWESOME".
Now time for the rest who own the X-2's and by now had them broken in, is SlushPuppy the only one taking the time to post reports on "The best speakers on the planet!"? We are eagerly waiting :duh:

neekomax

« Reply #158 on: 5 Feb 2018, 04:13 am »
So major improvements were made today. I spent a few hours moving my large area rug, played with toe-in, and pulled my speakers out further into the room. The inner side of the baffles are now 39" from the back wall and pulling them further into the room made little improvement. My listening position is [almost] an equilateral triangle now. I ditched J River on my music server because it wasn't playing well with the Lyngdorf USB driver (numerous pops - even with a maxed-out buffer). Now running Roon and am stunned at the results. I was only hoping to get rid of the pops and wasn't expecting such an improvement in sound quality. After all of that I ran RoomPerfect on the Lyngdorf for the first time and that made the biggest difference of all. I still need room treatments, but this feature is flat-out amazing! You press start on the menu, move the supplied microphone around to 6 or 7 random locations, then you're done. Takes about 25 minutes. How much of an improvement? Disabling it made the music almost unlistenable (in comparison). I've never heard anything that made such an improvement in sound quality. You almost have to hear it to believe it. So, I'm nearly there and am really glad the X2's were announced at the exact time I was looking to upgrade my system :-)

Cheers!

Slush

Congrats on the good sounds. What a feeling  :). Have you thought about starting a thread detailing your experience and details about the Lyngdorf unit and its DSP capabilities? I for one don't know much about it, but I have to imagine it's a powerful thing if it's giving you "night and day" results with minimal hassles...

Just a thought.

mwalker2

« Reply #159 on: 17 Feb 2018, 02:54 am »
Well, good things happen to those who wait. My X-2’s just arrived 4 hours ago and they are up and running. Now comes the long, winding and uphill battle of breaking them in. I am somewhat fortunate as I requested Clayton to kindly give them some break in before shipping to which he obliged. Added to this I started immediately putting them through the XLO Test and Burn in CD which contains a good portion of ‘white noise’ toppled with lots of patience. I have attached some pictures to give an idea of my set up. It is a small dedicated room with no room treatment, only relying on my 4 trusted STEIN h2 room equalizers plus an Acoustic Revive unit. Fingers crossed as the x2’s will be replacing my excellent Tyler D-1 which will go on sale on short notice. We’ll keep you posted gang.