Starting (FINALLY!!!) my H/T room

EdRo

• Industry Participant
Starting (FINALLY!!!) my H/T room
« on: 2 Oct 2014, 02:09 am »
This is a 24' x 14' x 7' corner of my basement that will be walled off. The stairwell narrows one end to 10', so my projector screen will go there. The wall opposite the screen will be gently convex, and will have 8, 2'x 2' skyline diffusors centered, lined up horizontally and up about 3.5' from the floor. The floor and block walls will get foam sheets, taped at all seams, to keep it from smelling like a basement. Double drywall on the walls, solid Baltic birch doors, track lighting and wall sconces, and my equipment rack will be mounted under the stairwell next to the screen. Carpet will go on the floor, and, now the strange part...the ceiling joist cavities will be filled with Roxul Safe N Sound, then I'm planning on installing black carpet ON THE CEILING, over the Roxul!!! Radical, I know. My last H/T ceiling was painted white, and that reflected on the screen. I also didn't like the reflections from the drywall ceiling, maybe because it was so low. I can't help remembering all the cool early 70s home studios in basements with carpet on the ceilings!!! Am I crazy to try this? What does everyone think?

EdRo

• Industry Participant
Re: Starting (FINALLY!!!) my H/T room
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2014, 03:37 pm »
I've seen the suggestions about replacing metal duct in your room with soft sided stuff. (I just forgot the right term!) I had a metal band practicing in my basement for a long time. I noticed that when I fired up my GIANT Ampeg bass rig, the metal ducting would go CRAZY!! So, I came up with contact-cementing a thick rubber carpet pad to all the duct surfaces. It worked great! Has anyone else tried anything like that?