Hypex NCore question and answers

firedog

Hypex NCore question and answers
« on: 10 Apr 2012, 04:01 am »
From the thread moderator:
The original NCore thread was split to start a question and answer thread at the request of some contributors. The following post ended up being the lead off post:

Sorry for the dumbass question, but are these modules mono or stereo? Do you need 2 modules for a 2 channel amp?
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2012, 03:39 pm by firedog »

lowtech

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2012, 06:18 am »
Personally, I find it hard to fault the UcD HG modules.  It would be interesting/helpful to hear from someone who has lived with them for a period of time then upgraded to NC.  Maybe the ultra-long diyAudio thread contains some of this information?  :scratch:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2012, 11:05 am »
I've been watching the Hypex threads on A/C for the past couple of months. The one thing I'd like to see a definitive answer on is: Exactly what is needed to make this a working amplifier? If I ordered the kit from Hypex, what would I need to buy to complete it? A case (obviously), but what else? Is there a parts list somewhere?

Thanks,

Slush
Case, binding posts, IEC, switch, Chassis mount connector for input and very little wire as most of the work is already done for you. 

Sorry for the dumbass question, but are these modules mono or stereo? Do you need 2 modules for a 2 channel amp?
Yes, two NC400's for two channels.  You can use one SMPS for two channel if you wish.  I prefer two though.   :green:

Personally, I find it hard to fault the UcD HG modules.  It would be interesting/helpful to hear from someone who has lived with them for a period of time then upgraded to NC.  Maybe the ultra-long diyAudio thread contains some of this information?  :scratch:
There are reviews of members on diyaudio that have owned both.  If you search the thread, you will find them.  Lucky for you they have a thread search function within the thread.   :wink:

The bottom line is that member "Stig" finds the NCores better. There I just saved you some time.   :lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2012, 11:09 am »
Mike,

Were you running them with single-ended or balanced inputs? The designer seems to place emphasis on balanced for optimum performance.

Regards,
Dave
Yes, I set them up for XLR in but my pre is single ended.  If you read the data sheet here you can see Bruno's thoughts.

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC400_datasheet.pdf

SMPS is here http://www.hypex.nl/docs/SMPS600_Datasheet.pdf

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2012, 04:38 pm »
Can anyone tell me when finished Ncore (new module) amps will be available for sale for us non do it yourself types. I can't wait to try these amps out. Thanks!
Joe

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2012, 04:51 pm »
Can anyone tell me when finished Ncore (new module) amps will be available for sale for us non do it yourself types. I can't wait to try these amps out. Thanks!
Joe
The Mola Mola will be available and other OEM's that make something.  http://www.mola-mola.nl/

This isn't a diy kit though.  Just about anyone that can read will be able to put it in a case.

HT cOz

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:23 pm »
Joe

A while back, I offered to build one for free so I could document the build for DIYers and get photo samples of my cases.  No one was interested.  :wink:  I'm too busy to make this offer today.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2012, 06:06 am by HT cOz »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:26 pm »
Case, binding posts, IEC, switch, Chassis mount connector for input and very little wire as most of the work is already done for you. 

Thanks! I didn't realize the assembly was that simple.

lowtech

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:30 pm »
Anyone know if CI Audio has plans to offer a commercial amp based on these modules?  If so, I wonder if he plans to "work any magic" on the input stage.   :scratch:

@jtwrace: Thanks for the info.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:32 pm »
Anyone know if CI Audio has plans to offer a commercial amp based on these modules?  If so, I wonder if he plans to "work any magic" on the input stage.   :scratch:

@jtwrace: Thanks for the info.
I don't believe he does.  Don't forget the NC400 is DIY ONLY.  It's NOT meant for a business to purchase and resell.  That's what the NC1200 is for....

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:59 pm »
This may be barbaric but I plan to just mount the PS and the two modules on separate boards. PS in the middle and one amp module behind each speaker. OTOH, I might even be able to mount the amp modules on the back of my crossover boards. Hard wire PS to power module to crossover board on each channel. No binding posts, no cases. I might go so far as to acquire three cigar boxes.
I already have a combo fuse holder/IEC and on/off switch, so all I need is XLR inputs. How's that for easy?

Does anyone see any flaw in my plan - other than the electrocution potential?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2012, 06:01 pm »
Does anyone see any flaw in my plan
Already a fuse on the SMPS so you're good to go.   :wink:

lowtech

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2012, 06:10 pm »
Does anyone see any flaw in my plan - other than the electrocution potential?

Despite the Hypex modules being some of the best at not radiating excessive RF, I believe they (and your other equipment) will benefit from having them enclosed in a metal, grounded enclosure.  Just my 2¢.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2012, 06:13 pm »
Despite the Hypex modules being some of the best at not radiating excessive RF, I believe they (and your other equipment) will benefit from having them enclosed in a metal, grounded enclosure.  Just my 2¢.
That is of course until you ask Bruno that question.   :wink:

lowtech

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2012, 06:39 pm »
That is of course until you ask Bruno that question.   :wink:

Yeah, As a beta tester for some of the Hypex gear, and a very early adopter of UcD, I've asked him lots of questions in the past.  I've even gone as far as following some of his advice.   :thumb:  Kidding aside, he's a very talented designer.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2012, 06:51 pm »

lowtech - In the scenario I posed above, the modules would not be within 24 inches of anything except my passive XOs which are mounted on plywood and leaning against the drywall. Would they need to be grounded under those circumstances?

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2012, 06:56 pm »
A while back, I offered to build one for free so I could document the build for DIYers and get photo samples of my cases.  No one was interested.  ;)
Hi,
I have not been following this as closely as I should have been. That's a great gesture.
Joe

lowtech

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2012, 07:02 pm »
lowtech - In the scenario I posed above, the modules would not be within 24 inches of anything except my passive XOs which are mounted on plywood and leaning against the drywall. Would they need to be grounded under those circumstances?

Aside from the safety issues you already mentioned, I personally believe Hypex modules (at least UcD - I don't have any experience with NC - but don't see why it would differ) should be enclosed in something that will allow them to be shielded and properly grounded.  Apparently there is a differing of opinion, so as usual, YMMV.

santacore

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2012, 09:28 pm »
After recently upgrading to the newer SDS amplifiers from Class D Audio, I have changed my mind about class D amps. Because of this positive experience I have gone ahead and put in a order for a dual mono pair of NC400's. If they sound even better then the SDS amps I will be a happy guy.

Does anyone have any case recommendations for a dual mono setup? My initial thought was to re-use the case I bought from jtwrace?? for the Class D Audio amps. All I would need to do is take out the currents amp/power supply and re-wire the NC400's setup. What do you guys think?

MoonUnit

« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2012, 02:48 am »
Has anyone posted a set of measurements of a completed NC400 driving a real load? I'm interested in what the distortion spectrum looks like on a realistic load (I realize that the exact measurements will depend on the particular load). The data sheet only shows measurements driving a purely resistive load.