Since ACI is no longer available, what brands should I consider?

Mike Dzurko

• Facilitator
I am getting this type of question a LOT. "Since you don't have any Force subs to sell, which sub should I buy?"  Or, "What do you think will sound as good as Sapphire XLs?"

My answer has been to look for the used ACI models of your choice. This is not meant to be arrogant, but simply because if you want a Sapphire XL, then buy a Sapphire XL. Speakers don't wear out, at least not for many years. So as long as they cosmetically are what you are looking for, go for it. Look on Audiogon, place WTB ads here and other places. With a little looking and a bit of patience, you can probably find what you really want . . . and I've always felt that the best purchase is the one you really want, not "maybe it will be good enough?"

The other reason I am reluctant to recommend other brands is that frankly, I am no expert on other brands. Sure I've heard many, but so have many of you. In fact, many folks on these forums have probably heard a lot more gear than I have. In my early days of audio, I spent quite a bit of time listening to my competitor's products. Years ago, I got to a point where that was not the best use of my time. Since then, I've spent a lot more time listening to live sounds and comparing how our products matched up to that reference. I suspect that a lot of designers get to that point after awhile.

If you want to find other brands/models that come close to the sound of one of our products, ask around, search this and other audio forums. There are plenty of good ears out there that can give you good info.