Another incredible speaker deal, fully assembled, and discounted big!

tesseract

Danny,

1. Is the Carnegie's Contemporary series BG planar a PDR with the deep back cup?

2. Does the Carnegie Classic series use the silk T3 tweeter?

Danny Richie

1. Is the Carnegie's Contemporary series BG planar a PDR with the deep back cup?

Yes.

2. Does the Carnegie Classic series use the silk T3 tweeter?

No, but it is similar.

shadowlight

Danny,

How do they compare to your Neo2x and Neo3 speakers?

Danny Richie

Danny,

How do they compare to your Neo2x and Neo3 speakers?

The biggest difference is the crossover. The Carnegie products use good quality poly caps and air core inductors, but not quite to the level of the Erse poly caps and inductors that come in our kits and they certainly have no Sonicaps. All of that can be upgraded though.

The woofers are a knock off of my M-130's. Sensitivity is slightly lower that the response (before a network is used) is not quite as smooth, but the sound is similar.

Value wise these Carnegie models are tough to beat.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
The biggest difference is the crossover. The Carnegie products use good quality poly caps and air core inductors, but not quite to the level of the Erse poly caps and inductors that come in our kits and they certainly have no Sonicaps. All of that can be upgraded though.

The woofers are a knock off of my M-130's. Sensitivity is slightly lower that the response (before a network is used) is not quite as smooth, but the sound is similar.

Value wise these Carnegie models are tough to beat.

If that's the case then I think this just proves what a great value your kits are.  Buy your kit and either build a really nice cabinet or have a pro like Randall build one and get the best of both worlds.   :thumb:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com

I built and own GR Research OB 5s which have Sonic caps and bypasses, and air core inductors. Very high end crossover parts.

After I broke in the Carnegie Acoustic CST-1s I compared them to the OB-5s. Sonically they were much closer than I expected. I was shocked by the bottom end of the CST-1s.

Overall their sound was very close. The biggest difference was in the air that the OB-5s brought to the table, yet at the expense of image localization compared to the CST-1s. Don't get me wrong, the OB-5s image awesome, but the the CSTs were more matter of fact in placement. I actually liked the CSTs more. It was a nice change. I could live with either as they both have their strengths. I would say they are about 90% of the same sonic cloth.

The CST-1s are a great buy, esp. if you don't want to do a speaker kit build yourself.

Rocket_Ronny

« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2011, 03:41 am by Rocket_Ronny »

Danny Richie

There is a new special on B stock CSC-1's.

These retail for $699 each. The B stock units are now $429. These are in gloss black cabinets. This is a really good deal.

userchag

Carnegie Acoustics is offering a free center channel when you purchase a pair of CST1 or Pedestales.  Extra savings of over $400.00!  While supplies last- Visit Carnegieacoustics.com or call 606-922-0313 to hear about other great deals.  Cecil-Carnegie Acoustics

userchag

Thank you for the great response on the CST1's!  Carnegie Acoustics is now offering a FREE Centrare Center Channel speaker with the purchase of a pair of Pedestale towers.  Danny out did himself on these.  Easily the most pleasant sounding speaker I have ever heard.  Call Ron at 606-922-0313 with questions and info on our other B Stock specials. 

Thanks

Cecil
Affordable Audiophile by Carnegie Acoustics

Danny Richie

There are still quite a few of these left and the reason that they are B stock is pretty minor and easily fixed.

milford3

I'm in the market for a new center channel.  Price being the same tell me why the GR is better than the Axiom VP 150?

Danny Richie

Oh good grief. You just asked me how my Corvette compares to a covered wagon.

Those Axiom guys hate me. I was hired by a separate company to test and measure the speaker that you posted a picture of. The measurements (which were horrible) went public and the Axiom guys freaked.

I don't want to appear to be bashing that company. I really don't care what they are doing. So that you get the general idea, there was no real engineering understanding that went into that design. The dual tweeters on each end of the speaker cancel each other out (just like noise cancelling head phones) causing huge dips and peaks in the response. The parts quality was also pretty poor as well. I don't know what else there is to say that hasn't already been said. That speaker has been beat to death already. And the company that had me take the measurements realized that it was not worth offering an upgrade for.

And the CSC-1 is not a GR Research product. It is made by Carnegie Acoustics and is their product. I did the design work for that speaker and their two product lines.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I'm in the market for a new center channel.  Price being the same tell me why the GR is better than the Axiom VP 150?

Holy cow! My high school physics students wouldn't have designed something like that! Tweeters at both ends!  :oops:

CARNEGIE ACOUSTICS

Greetings to everyone! I'm new to this forum and am excited to be here taking part in the discussions of audio and music. I became hooked back in the early 70’s and realized then that I had found something that I enjoyed more than anything else and that audio playback was something I was going to be passionate about for the rest of my life. About twenty years, ago I started designing loudspeakers for myself and friends. Many years later my hobby turned into CARNEGIE ACOUSTICS. I then met Danny Richie and he and I went to work designing a full line of products that we both feel are the most affordable, high-end loudspeakers we have ever heard. Stay in touch and I will share some incredible deals with Audio Circle members. I have some “B” stock product that we are blowing out at tremendous discounts. Contact me for more info… Ron May

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Thank you for the great response on the CST1's!  Carnegie Acoustics is now offering a FREE Centrare Center Channel speaker with the purchase of a pair of Pedestale towers.  Danny out did himself on these.  Easily the most pleasant sounding speaker I have ever heard.  Call Ron at 606-922-0313 with questions and info on our other B Stock specials. 

Thanks

Cecil
Affordable Audiophile by Carnegie Acoustics

I heard the Pedestale towers at RMAF a few years ago and they sounded very good!   :D

Heard the big brothers to the CSB-1's at Axpona in GA this year and they were making music all day long!   :thumb:

Ron good to see you and Cecil on AC!

Danny Richie

I don't guess one could ask for a better review.

A nicely done review of the CST-1's by Colin Smith of Sound Stage.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=337

Cheeseboy

Add a sub and I bet the Mythos would be out the door.

milford3

Interesting response from Brent of Axiom audio reguarding duel tweeders on the VP 150 center.
If duel tweeders cancel them selfs out than duel woofers should do the same. My point here is that duel tweeders are just fine.

Robert, you have astutely noted that dual woofers would do exactly the same thing and they do, unless the x-over point is below the frequency where the distance between the two woofers can create a comb.  So any 2-way design loudspeaker that has the tweeter between the woofers or mids (like the quite popular Dapolito design) exhibits comb filtering in the midrange.  And of course, any listening done outside of mono is full of comb filtering because a "pair" of speakers creates comb filter cancellation across pretty much the entire frequency band.

Danny Richie

Interesting response from Brent of Axiom audio reguarding duel tweeders on the VP 150 center.
If duel tweeders cancel them selfs out than duel woofers should do the same. My point here is that duel tweeders are just fine.

This shows a clear misunderstanding of what is going on.

Think of the shape of a wavelength looping up over center then down below center and back up completing a wave. Play the same wave inverted or with the phase reversed and it cancels it out (playing them at the same time). This can happen at any wavelength.

However the size of that cycle varies with frequency. See a wavelength chart here: http://www.soundoctor.com/freq.htm

So when you have two sources playing the same signal you have potential for cancellation. In the case of two tweeters even delaying one source verses the other by one inch can cause a 15db dip from cancellation while at the same time a one inch movement is only a few degrees of phase rotation on a lower frequency range and will have no effect.

Here is what I mean. This is an actual measurement of the Axiom VP150. The same speaker pictured above. The tough part was getting dead center of the speaker to take the measurement so as to minimize any cancellation. This is the measurement shown by the red line. The green line is a measurement made by moving the mic over 1 inch horizontally. Get the picture?

And as one gets further off axis the response obviously gets worse and worse.

milford3

http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/may2009.html

Read this from Alan Lofft.  It's about comb flltering.