Most popular audiophile speakers

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Re: Most popular audiophile speakers
« Reply #40 on: 9 Apr 2014, 04:38 pm »
Sean, are you looking at developing upgraded crossover assemblies and/or kits to sell to owners of the highest sales volume speakers?  I think the thing I would try to determine is which models have been considered the best over the years, as they would likely still be owned by the original purchasers or by people who have bought them second hand because they perform better than current models within those folks' budgets.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2014, 11:16 am by Hank »

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #41 on: 9 Apr 2014, 11:41 pm »
>>
Sean, are you looking at developing upgraded crossover assemblies and/or kits to sell to owners of the highest sales volume speakers?
<<

Essentially, yes.

>>
I think the thing I would try to determine is which models have been considered the best over the years, as they would likely still be owned by the original purchasers or by people who have bought them second hand because they perform better than current models within budgets those folks' budgets.
<<

What Hank said...

nrenter

« Reply #42 on: 10 Apr 2014, 02:35 am »
Hmmm...I could be convinced to order a "drop in" replacement set of crossovers for my Pioneer HPM-200s.

wgallupe

« Reply #43 on: 10 Apr 2014, 06:43 am »
>>
Sean, are you looking at developing upgraded crossover assemblies and/or kits to sell to owners of the highest sales volume speakers?
<<

Essentially, yes.

>>
I think the thing I would try to determine is which models have been considered the best over the years, as they would likely still be owned by the original purchasers or by people who have bought them second hand because they perform better than current models within budgets those folks' budgets.
<<

What Hank said...

If that's the case, Magnepan would be high on my list. MMG, MG12, MG1.6, etc.

WireNut

« Reply #44 on: 10 Apr 2014, 10:52 am »
MTM's

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #45 on: 10 Apr 2014, 11:22 am »
"If that's the case, Magnepan would be high on my list."
+1 ABSOLUTELY  Look at any Maggie's crossover and you'll see why.
Despite what an earlier poster stated, the Large Advents were considered excellent in their day and there are lots of them in service today.  And, there are lots of electrostatics in service and constantly being tweaked and repaired and bought and sold on the used market.  I've got all the parts to upgrade the interfaces on my recently acquired Acoustat Model 3's and I'm confident they'll be taken up, to quote Danny, "another level".

Best of luck in this venture, Sean.  When you're ready, advertise on this forum and post on the Vintage thread here.  Also DIY Audio forum, etc.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #46 on: 11 Apr 2014, 02:41 pm »
I think I have a schematic for that one; drop me an email sean at skiingninja dot com

Hmmm...I could be convinced to order a "drop in" replacement set of crossovers for my Pioneer HPM-200s.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #47 on: 11 Apr 2014, 02:44 pm »
We have the 1.6 crossovers now on the site and all the customers have been enthusiastic about the upgrade once they have a listen.  We are going to add more Maggies for sure.

I'm not sure how to do that on the other forums without coming off as advertising.  Maybe you guys would not mind posting around once I reveal the details here?

Best of luck in this venture, Sean.  When you're ready, advertise on this forum and post on the Vintage thread here.  Also DIY Audio forum, etc.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #48 on: 11 Apr 2014, 03:25 pm »
Despite what an earlier poster stated, the Large Advents were considered excellent in their day and there are lots of them in service today.  And, there are lots of electrostatics in service and constantly being tweaked and repaired and bought and sold on the used market.  I've got all the parts to upgrade the interfaces on my recently acquired Acoustat Model 3's and I'm confident they'll be taken up, to quote Danny, "another level".

I always thought highly of the Advents back in the day. I still have a pair of the "New" Large Advents stashed in the back of a closet. Not sure how much difference there was between the two models. I know I liked the cabinets better on the "New" model.

Are the crossovers basically the same for the two models? (wonder if that would make it easier - 2 speakers with 1 stone [crossover] )

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #49 on: 11 Apr 2014, 04:11 pm »
A mirror image pair of Dynaco A25's are still nice speakers.  They just need a single capacitor and one resistor in the crossover.   Component upgrades make a big difference in them.  Before I new about Sonicaps and Mills resistors, I put a Solen PP cap in the one pair I restored.   Sounded much better than the original electrolytic cap in series with the woofer.  About 600,000 were made, so still lots of them around. 

jpm

« Reply #50 on: 11 Apr 2014, 04:26 pm »
The recent Andrew Jones cheap n chearful Pioneer speakers migth be good candidates. Being so inexpensive in the first place it could be easy to entice folks to go for a mod that extracts even more from them. 

They have generated a lot of buzz and are still available and / or have successors available.  Being able to add on to the existing momentum they have in the market could be worth pursuing.

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #51 on: 23 May 2014, 08:02 am »
For $350 the Music Hall Marimbas are very nice.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #52 on: 23 May 2014, 02:18 pm »
Cool, thanks!

SNS

For $350 the Music Hall Marimbas are very nice.

nrenter

« Reply #53 on: 24 May 2014, 08:56 pm »
What about something like the Pioneer CS 99a speakers? They are a bit of a hot mess, but they are a vintage speaker in demand - plus the stock crossover is crap. I wonder if better a better crossover could do something form them.