Endozime

orthobiz

Endozime
« on: 4 Sep 2009, 01:41 am »
As some of you may know, I'm an orthopaedic surgeon. I have been using a product called Endozime for the past year with good results. They buy this stuff by the gallon at our hospital and splash it all over to dissolve blood and goo and stuff (doesn't work on bone!).

To digress a little bit, we were always taught that the orthopaedic market was too small to make the development of customized stainless steel just for bony application. So we were "stuck" with Type 316L, a good industrial grade stainless.

So I thought maybe the same is true of vinyl enzyme preparations. I mean, how many gallons of this stuff can audiophools buy to make it worthwhile for industry to invent a whole new class of cleaners for us? Is it possible that the stuff we use in the hospital is just as effective or, could the hospital type stuff actually contain the main ingredients of the expensive audio stuff?

Anyway, I checked out the Endozime and found that they use it to soak the most delicate instruments we have, some of which are "plastic" coated, such as eye instruments and colonscopes and the like. It has protease and amylase, powerful protein and starch enzymes that "Will not harm any metals, plastic, rubber or corrugated tubing." I think vinyl records would fall into the grouping!

I brought a small bottle home and have been using it to good effect ever since. Further info from the website:

"Endozime is a dual enzymatic cleaner that removes blood, protein, mucous, vomit and fecal matter. This formulation of Protease and Amylase enzymes with buffers and surfactants is perfect for all flexible and rigid scopes and instruments. Endozime? will solve any problem with clogged channels, sticky biopsy forceps or clouded lenses, leaving both scopes and instruments free of any unpleasant odors and baked-on blood." OK you 50-somethings, I don't know how well it works on resins and I'm sure it doesn't dissolve seeds!!!!!

http://www.ruhof.com/Catalog3.asp?nProductsID=81

All it takes is an ounce added to water (I use reverse osmosis stuff from my kitchen, M Fremer once said it was OK so I believed him) and you have an pint or quart of enzyme (it is supposed to be really dilute but I make it stronger).

If anyone is interested in trying it, PM me. I use it on nearly all acquired vinyl followed by L'art du Son and a RO water chaser on my Loricraft. But I'd like to hear another opinion and maybe turn some of my good buddies at AC onto it!

Paul

Wayner

Re: Endozime
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2009, 11:44 am »
This kind of product would be perfect for cleaning some of the used records I have picked up. Sometimes there is stuff on the grooves I just don't know what it is. Beer, food, other unmentionable stuff could all be on there. I'd also like to see what it does to fingerprints.

Wayner  8)

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:30 pm »
I think it will work best with a vacuum machine. It might gunk up a D4 record brush or manual cleaner (is that what you use to touch things up?).

Paul

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:59 pm »
Hey Doc,

I used Sporicidin for mildewed records.  It worked.  Is this the same stuff as Endozime?

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2009, 07:18 pm »
I think I would use it in the laundry sink when I wash the record for the first time.

W

analognut

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2009, 06:55 pm »
Hey woodsyi-
Check out the MSDS data sheets for the Endozime and Sporicidin. Apparently, the active ingredient in Endozyme is 2-propanol, and the one in Sporicidin is completely different, being Phenol/Sodium Phenate.

From orthobiz description of Endozime it sounds like it'd be completely safe on LPs, but I don't know where you'd buy it. Looks like it's for wholesale only. Anyone have any idea how safe the Phenol/Sodium Phenate in the Sporicidin would be? That stuff sounds like a good deal at $28 a gallon.  :)
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2009, 12:32 pm by analognut »

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2009, 01:35 am »
Endozime has 2-propanol in it but I think it's a solubility carrier or something. I would think the active ingredients are protease and amylase but maybe those are fancy names for alcohol!!!

Paul

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2009, 02:03 pm »
Endozime has 2-propanol in it but I think it's a solubility carrier or something. I would think the active ingredients are protease and amylase but maybe those are fancy names for alcohol!!!

Paul

Sure looks like a fancy name for an alcohol bonded to water mix., i do like my alcohol bonded to wate,r mostly old scotch with rocks but i don't usually clean my records with it :lol: that being said i still wouldn't mind giving it a go

ED

orthobiz

« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2009, 03:38 pm »
So far three takers on my offer.
PM your address if you want some. I'm trying to get it out on Wednesday.
No obligation, no strings. Giving back to the board who gives me so much.

Paul

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:26 pm »
Hey woodsyi-
Check out the MSDS data sheets for the Endozime and Sporicidin. Apparently, the active ingredient in Endozyme is 2-propanol, and the one in Sporicidin is completely different, being Phenol/Sodium Phenate.

From orthobiz description of Endozime it sounds like it'd be completely safe on LPs, but I don't know where you'd buy it. Looks like it's for wholesale only. Anyone have any idea how safe the Phenol/Sodium Phenate in the Sporicidin would be? That stuff sounds like a good deal at $28 a gallon.  :)

I will go back and check my records that I cleaned with Sporicidin and see if there is any long term damage.  It's been few months.  I got a haul of records that were water damaged and mildewed.  There were some that I wanted to salvage and I used Sporicidin.  It worked fine and I put the cleaned records in MoFi sleeves.  There were a couple of Sheffield Lab dirict to disc records that I wanted to save.  I will report back.

It's interesting that Sporidcidin lists phenol/sodium phenate (well known germicide) as active ingredient when Endozime only lists 10% isopropyl alcohol.  Clearly Endozime has enzymes but they don't list them. I wonder why.

analognut

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2009, 06:48 pm »
The MSDS that I keep popping up on the Endozime webpage lists 2-Propanol as being 10% and doesn't say anything about isopropyl alcohol. Is that the same thing?  :)

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2009, 07:19 pm »
The MSDS that I keep popping up on the Endozime webpage lists 2-Propanol as being 10% and doesn't say anything about isopropyl alcohol. Is that the same thing?  :)

Oui, certainement.

orthobiz

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2009, 08:45 pm »
I think the MSDS is for hazardous and toxic aspects of a product. I do not think it is meant to list the "active ingredients," hence, no mention of enzymes on the Endozime product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_safety_data_sheet

Stuff going out tomorrow's mail!

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2009, 01:25 pm »
I got my sample yesterday in the mail. I'm going to mix it in a 1:32 mix (making a quart) and I have 2 new used records to try it on. The stuff sure looks like urine.  :lol:

It's not April 1st is it?

Wayner  8)

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2009, 01:33 pm »
I do not recommend anyone put this stuff in a spray bottle to spray records. I think it may not be good if you inhale the spray. If you do, wear a mask (not Halloween), before you do. I also think rubber gloves may be in order. I'm going to put it on with a paint brush in the laundry sink and let it soak for a couple of minutes on each side, then do a good rinse.

Wayner  8)

analognut

« Reply #15 on: 12 Sep 2009, 03:58 pm »
Sure do appreciate that info Wayner. I'll head over to the P.O. today to pick up my sample.  :)

Mike B.

« Reply #16 on: 12 Sep 2009, 04:02 pm »
I got my sample yesterday. At first, I thought someone had sent me a urine sample :green: Thanks Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #17 on: 12 Sep 2009, 04:17 pm »
Glad the stuff is arriving. I think 1:32 is a good ratio but I don't think it's toxic where you need rubber gloves and a mask.

I use a refillable spray bottle for my mixture. I run the RCM machine to spread it (my Loricraft) and I spray directly into the record/brush junction. I hold the spray bottle about 3" away from the record surface. I use a 3" foam paint brush.
If you are cleaning a few records, less is required to wet the surface after the first record. There is no surfactant so it can bead up. I turn the machine off and then manually spread it with the foam brush lightly applied and swept around the surface (just the weight of the brush). You can eliminate all "bubbles" (uncovered areas) with this method. I leave if in place for a minute or two, I have not let it "dry" in place (most likely a bad idea!). I believe there is very little aerosolized and I do not detect much of an odor.

My hands with this method remain completely dry and I have experienced no irritation. In our hospital, they occasionally use this stuff full strength on nasty areas on the floor, sometimes no wearing a mask after a surgical case is complete (certainly not on my cases, I'm neat as a pin!).

And yes, it is YELLOW but it is Endozime and not any other weird hospital scientific experiment!!!

Let me know how it works. Wayner, i'm sure I can scare up a HazMat suit if you really need it! :lol:

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 12 Sep 2009, 04:42 pm »
OK, I'm going to make up a quart of this stuff (need catchy name other then Endozine), then I will put some of it in my small spray bottle. If you've done it without any irritation, then I good with the spray technique too. That is actually the way I'd prefer to do it. I also agree that letting this stuff dry on the record could be bad, maybe just to get off later.

How about Vinylzine, LPzine, 331/3ozine, Cleanmyrecorddammit, Othobiz's jizz, .................... aa

Wayner  :lol:

orthobiz

« Reply #19 on: 12 Sep 2009, 04:53 pm »
If you go with
GeeSpot for your speaker setup system
I'll consider
BizzJizz

Paul