Psvane WE 101d Replica Short Life

Mrmb

Psvane WE 101d Replica Short Life
« on: 2 Nov 2016, 03:36 am »
The subject 101d pair that I bought new for my Big 7 died after about 7-months.  Anyone else have longevity issues with these tubes? I purchased them from: http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/psvane-western-electric-101d-101d-l-replica-vacuum-tubes-pair/

After listening sessions, I put the Big 7 in standby, but didn't power it down with the rear toggle.  Could that perhaps have been the reason for the shortened tube life?  On a Lampizator forum thread, I read something about a projected 20-year tube life.  While I'm not relying on 20-years, seven months is far too short for these or more costly tubes!

In my rig and room, I really liked the Replica 101d's!  But because of my experience, I haven't ordered replacements or thought about more expensive tubes!! Based on your experiences, was my experience simply an aberration? If I were to order another pair, is there another source that is recommended? 

BTW, on the Big 7 with the remote controlled volume control and blue LED screen, is there any way to program the unit to fully power it down with the remote?  Unfortunately, with my arthritic issues and the DAC's placement, the rear toggle is quite painful to access.

If the unit can't be programmed to totally power off with the remote, does anyone know of a power conditioner of sufficient quality with an on/off switch to warrant its use with the Big 7?

Or am I being overly cautious by wanting to not only put the unit in standby between listening sessions, but to power it completely down? How does everyone handle standby vs full power down with their DAC's?

wisnon

Re: Psvane WE 101d Replica Short Life
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2016, 05:14 pm »
Turning on and off the power to the tube SHORTENS tube life. Remember that the DHTs are only running at 5% of capacity, and each on off cycle may let in a molecule of air and weakening the vaccum. There is also an inruch of electricity everytime and temperature changes, etc.

Leave it on unless you wont listen for a day or 2.

In terms of conditioners, I use the Lampi SILK with phase flippers. Than can work to fully turn off the DAC and some or all of the other gear connected to it...collectively or individually. I think those 101ds had problems.

PM me if you want to buy my set for a very good price.
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2016, 10:06 pm by wisnon »

speshal

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2016, 07:51 am »
I had the same problem.  They last much longer if you power off the DAC with the switch in the back.  I know this is contrary to what Wisnon says, but that's my first hand experience.  (Actually, it's also the same experience I have with other tube components too.)

If you're just shutting off the power once per day max, I think the odds are well in your favor for the tubes to last longer that way versus keeping them on 24/7.  I think the manual even mentions that.  Regardless, it proved true for me with those same tubes on a Big 7 balanced.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2016, 10:12 am »
The subject 101d pair that I bought new for my Big 7 died after about 7-months. 
After listening sessions, I put the Big 7 in standby, but didn't power it down with the rear toggle.  Could that perhaps have been the reason for the shortened tube life?   
Or am I being overly cautious by wanting to not only put the unit in standby between listening sessions, but to power it completely down? How does everyone handle standby vs full power down with their DAC's?
You have run 5K hours in this tube which is not a short life:
24hours x 30days x 7months=5040 hours
STM you have exausted the cathode life.

Sligolad

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2016, 11:39 am »
BTW, on the Big 7 with the remote controlled volume control and blue LED screen, is there any way to program the unit to fully power it down with the remote?

If the unit can't be programmed to totally power off with the remote, does anyone know of a power conditioner of sufficient quality with an on/off switch to warrant its use with the Big 7?

I have an early Big7 with Volume Control and Blue LCD Screen and the front Button and remote actually completely powers down the Big7, unless that has changed on later Big7's which could have happened you may already be shutting down power to the tubes with the remote.

sfox7076

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2016, 02:18 pm »
Filament shit down on standby varies generation to generation with LampizatOr

I don't buy in to the always on stuff people espouse on here. 

I use a lot of battery tubes that have seen thousands of cycles on and off and were made in the 20s and 30s.  Not many lose vacuum.  Many lose transconductance from exhausting the cathode. 

Also, engineers have studied glass for years. Heat expands the glass and the metal.  It isn't sealing a hole by heating, so when it cools and shrinks down again, where is the air getting in.  Even if it did and the getter didn't get the gas, it would either take the whole tube out or you wouldn't notice.  These tubes have strong vacuum (or don't and will fail anyway).  If you look up thermalmshock vacuum tube you will see a tube tv get blown up by heating it with a blow torch and then hitting it with cold water. The vacuum does not fail.  The glass cracks and explodes.

The filament won't fail either. At least if Lukasz uses constant current as we have discussed before.  There won't be a current in rush because it is limited.  At least if it works the way constant current generally works. 

So that  me with the choice of having the tube on and emitting electrons that aren't used or off and risking issues of "thermal shock".   I will take thermal shock any day.