New Golden Gate Head DAC

PhilipAC

New Golden Gate Head DAC
« on: 30 Jul 2015, 04:44 pm »
Hi all

I received yesterday my new Golden Gate Head DAC. This replaced my Big 7 and a bespoke headphone amp.

This is really something special, both on speakers and cans. It is, of course, difficult (and subjective) to find words to describe musical pleasure, but I can say that I am enjoying my music (especially on DSD) more than ever. And I know it will get even better over the next month or two.

Lukasz is indeed a genius!

Philip

wisnon

Re: New Golden Gate Head DAC
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2015, 09:54 pm »
balanced?

fridays

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2015, 02:23 am »
Are you thinking it will need a couple months to burn in, settle in?

Gopher

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2015, 03:38 am »
Congratulations, Phillip.  I hope it brings you many years of joy.

The GG and even B7 like you have will benefit significantly from burn in--more so the the 4 or 5 like you had in my experience.  That said, burn in shouldn't be too painful and it should be an enjoyable ride. 

PhilipAC

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2015, 07:46 am »
balanced?

The headphone amp has jack, 4-pin and two 3-pin outputs, but the speaker outputs are only SE.

wisnon

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2015, 08:13 pm »
Wow, a world premiere…GG HeadDac!
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2015, 09:43 pm by wisnon »

PhilipAC

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2015, 10:54 pm »
Hi Norman

I'm not sure it is!! I thought one had gone to the US before mine?

But who cares! Thanks Gopher for your best wishes. But I am not sure it will be many years. Every time I buy a new Lampi (L5>Big7>GG), Lukasz seems to bring out something better a few months later! But the Lampi upgrade policy is so incredibly generous.....!

Anyway, I think I am the first GG Head DAC in the UK.

I currently have the Aurender W20 as a music server (which I love), but am watching with interest where Lampi goes in this area.

Norman- your introduction of me to Greg has certainly paid dividends!

Philip

wisnon

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2015, 08:32 am »
FIRST!

AL did not order his yet.

The "DSD Komputer" has been launched and the first recipient is in the Netherlands and he reports that its a huge step up from his simple MacBook setup and now his GG is showing its true potential. I am very curious about this.
http://lampizator.eu/Fikus/KOMPUTER_-_MUSIC_SERVER.html
Greg is a nice fellow and has many good audio ideas. I like him a lot.
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2015, 11:21 am by wisnon »

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 1 Aug 2015, 12:30 pm »
FIRST!

AL did not order his yet.

The "DSD Komputer" has been launched and the first recipient is in the Netherlands and he reports that its a huge step up from his simple MacBook setup and now his GG is showing its true potential. I am very curious about this.
Greg is a nice fellow and has many good audio ideas. I like him a lot.

I have searched for prices, any idea on how much for the GG and DSD Komputer?

wisnon

« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2015, 12:50 pm »
I have searched for prices, any idea on how much for the GG and DSD Komputer?

From the website:
DSD Komputer by Lampizator.
Ordering information
Base price of the complete Komputer = 4900 Euro plus VAT in EU countries.
So, I guess about $6,000 and up in the US (WITH options).

Basic GG Dac is about (retail) $15,000 and about $17,500 with Volume control and about $19K for basic Balanced GG. At least this is what I see at AShark.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2016, 03:29 pm by wisnon »

bmichels

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2015, 01:23 pm »
Even if I have an Eddie Current 445 tube headphone Amp, I am still very very interested by the HEAD DAC, but...

I read on Lampizator WebSite that the lampi7 based head Dac only support headphone with more than 100 Ohms !!

"...We also offer Big7 Head version, a DAC with DHT tubes and SE structure, with OTL output to the headphones. Works for units 100Ohms of impedance and higher. Not recommended for headphones like HiFi Man amp killers."

Is this correct ? This prohibit the use of many many TOL headphones like LCD-X, HE1000.... and is good only with the like HD800 ?

ClefChef

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2016, 08:40 pm »
From the website:
DSD Komputer by Lampizator.
Ordering information:
Base price of the complete Komputer = 6500 Euro plus VAT in EU countries.
So, I guess about $7,500 and up in the US (WITH options).

Basic GG Dac is about (retail) $15,000 and about $17,500 with Volume control and about $19K for basic Balanced GG. At least this is what I see at AShark.

Raspberry Pi in a fancy aluminum case?

wisnon

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2016, 03:21 pm »
Nope, top line Intel i7 board or Xeon board, I am told.

Case is not that fancy at all (more like adequate), but bespoke linear power supplies up the wazzoo, battery and SSD everywhere, J-cat style boards, fancy clocks. An updated version of the latest CAPs build running patched Linux and Daphile.

This is way beyond a Pi as its not an NAA, but a full blown Server with enuff horsepower to handle upsampling to DSD256 without strain.

I suspect that the upcoming Sound Galleries Server may indeed best it, but it will also cost twice as much!

DSD Komputer Configuration Form
You are specifying the DSD Komputer. It is a stand alone machine equipped with everything you need for the highest possible sound reproduction quality. The Komputer contains PSU designed and made by LampizatOr. All software and firmware pre-installed with additional tools and drivers. LAN port, SPDIF x 1, 4 x USB 3.0, HDMI monitor output, High End Audio-USB 3.0 for DSD - optimized card, 100% fanless, INTEL processor i7 and best mother- board.   SSD system drive 128 GB. DDR3 RAM 16GB. PRICE 4900 Euro plus VAT where applicable in EU.This machine has TOTAL working plug and play configuration and software restore after failure support included.All machines are multi-voltage.  All software is in ENGLISH only

We use customized embeded Linux in shell mode with no functions other than music and the percentage of Intel microprocessor “busy level” is 1%. 

-The mother-board is the best we could find with really “open budget”. It is dedicated to Intel processors and and we use i7 4-core, multi thread processor  Other specs are:  16 GB DDR3 type RAM, our own dedicated multi-output, fully regulated, fan-less linear power supply (not impulse),  the heart of the system - SSD drive, a tablet as a remote control, This machine plays both PCM and DSD and as far as we are concerned it is the best that PC technology has to offer.

-There is no rocket science in our Komputer. Anybody can, and really SHOULD make such one for himself. It just takes time and money to buy EVERY part from a different vendor from a different country. First we have to import and stock this stuff in bulk. Pay shipping, customs and duties. Make sure everything matches. Have a skilled IT man put everything carefully together which takes 3 full days and 2 days testing and troubleshooting. Playing test music always with Golden Gate DAC as our ultimate sound benchmark !  Playing in our special dedicated listening room that no other computer company can even comprehend.

We added the other key elements of good sound: High End USB card for audiophile quality 3.0 output. 128 GB SSD drive from SAMSUNG PRO series with highest transfer speed of 6 MBIT SATA that holds our Linux and the custom settings, OS and with a restore partition, second - music storage drive SSD (0,5TB) or traditional 4TB highest spec drive WD-RED - special one for 24/365 operation, possibility to add infinite external volume via USB3, Sata, LAN or WAN

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2016, 06:13 pm »
Raspberry Pi in a fancy aluminum case?

HELLO .   THE HEADAC I have does low and high imp headphones . it has output transformers and they can be bypassed for hi imp phones.
it works well on all headphones I have tried except the he6 . it does drive the he1000 .
others I have tried are lcdx and lcd3 , hd800 , fostex  , and a few others .
rolling tubes is fine and shows easily the tube sound of each type.
regarding the hd800 work on both high or low imp setting its very obvious you need high imp to sound right . now for anyone who owns these headphones this setup beats easy any amps I have and used at lenth . woo wa 5 , sennhiser hdvd800 , woo wa22 , a few others I cannot think of right.  sorry its a very late post . please post hear or email me at BALDINO472003@MSN.COM  I am not a dealer just a user so fear not of me lol.