Definition of Timbre Matching?

RDavidson

Re: Definition of Timbre Matching?
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2015, 09:58 pm »
Love your dogs Robert!

I have a pair myself.

So, I must ask : As these are clearly two woofers (of the same make, but different production run), then what are subwoofers? Cats? Bears? :scratch: :lol:

Robert D

« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2015, 12:03 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback
I was at Sound Ideal in Montreal taking with Claude....
He said that the Timbre of the Harbeth Monitor 40.1  6 ohms was amazing
@13K pair I was a little surprised @ the price...
I did not listen to them ... I really was not interested.
Long story Short... When Claude was talking about the Timbre of the speaker ...
That's where he lost me ... I never herd that expression ...

Regards Robert

Tympani

« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2015, 09:19 pm »
Aha! In an ideal world, a transducer (microphone or speaker) should have no "timbre" as it's input spectrum should match it's output, ie. it should be "flat". Warm, bright, or other descriptive would indicate some deviation, possibly euphonic, from flat.

If someone describes a speaker as having a nice timbre, it is likely a euphonic coloration. I would guess most audiophile speakers fall into that category, whereas true studio monitors would more likely be flat.

Timbre matching would mean all speakers within a set have the same coloration. Maybe different frequency extensions, but the same general peaks and valleys within that range. it's those peaks and valleys that make the speaker "nasal" or "honky" or "boomy"

That's my take.

rmurray

« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2015, 11:01 pm »
  Yes, that makes sense. If all speakers were really accurate this would be the case :thumb:

srb

« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2015, 02:06 am »
Even if the speaker cabinets are inert and the crossovers designed for near seamless transition and balance, different cone and dome materials present slightly different timbres.  Many may measure similarly relatively flat for single tone frequency sweeps, but timbre and character will vary, particularly when reproducing instrumental harmonics and multiple instruments simultaneously, as in most all music.

All speakers sound different to me, including studio monitors, which is why most studios usually have a few different sets of near full range "flat response" studio monitors (in addition to smaller limited range "Auratone" type speakers).

Steve