go to song

Don_S

Re: go to song
« Reply #20 on: 4 Feb 2016, 12:57 am »
I agree with Brother Love, I typically ask  what a person   likes to listen to and then  go from there.
One track I always try and throw in the mix is "Coal train" by Hugh Masekela.... I hav a high res copy that is just stunning and quite often  will bring tears to peoples eyes. It's a grea  "story" and there are some great dynamics as the song progresses.
Here's a link to a youtube version   but  for the real deal, yo need to find a high res copy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y09bhF_KcKI

jay

I hate that song.  Too long of an introduction.  Too much talking interspersed with--I don't know what to call it.  I really wanted to hear some Wilson speakers at a show and the exhibitor put on that song.  Knowing how long I was going to have to suffer, I got up and walked out. 

Guests might enjoy the song or they might think "If I have to listen to something like that to be an audiophile, I'll stick to golf".  I think the song could have a very binary reaction.  Love it or hate it.

I prefer more neutral tracks like "Mr. Bones" by Steve Strauss.  Or something from FBR like"Joan of Arc" or "Bird on a Wire" for subtle nuance. If you want tears, try "If it be Your Will" from the same album. Joe Bonamassa for dynamics.  Also Melody Gardot or the more mellow offerings of Beth Hart.

Captainhemo

« Reply #21 on: 4 Feb 2016, 01:20 am »
It's 10:06 minutes man...   :lol:

Not saying it's the  greatest thing out there,  but, I've never had anything but  EXTEMELY  good comments from it
Most of the folks  I have  over here woldn't hold back   to speak up if they didn't like it .

But hey, they make all  those flavours of ice-cream for a reason:beer:

jay

Don_S

« Reply #22 on: 4 Feb 2016, 01:36 am »
It's 10:06 minutes man...   :lol:

Not saying it's the  greatest thing out there,  but, I've never had anything but  EXTEMELY  good comments from it
Most of the folks  I have  over here woldn't hold back   to speak up if they didn't like it .

But hey, they make all  those flavours of ice-cream for a reason:beer:

jay

For me it was a "get up and walk out the door song".   :lol:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 4 Feb 2016, 01:54 am »
I think there are two different issues. First, what will show off the abilities of the system right off the bat. I've been told that when exhibiting at a show you only have about 30 seconds to grab someone's attention so I need one group of songs that will do just that, show off the system's capabilities and grab attention quickly.

Then the second issue, once you have someone's attention and they want to hear more, having other tracks that show off the system in more detail with enough variety to suit all tastes. I can hand someone my iPad and say pick whatever you want, but it is still my music library, populated with the music my wife and I like. So I need a good sampling of things other people like that I don't necessarily care for to be comprehensive. I'll be checking out everything folks have mentioned.

Mike

Don_S

« Reply #24 on: 4 Feb 2016, 02:16 am »
At shows I frequently get complimented on my demo tracks.  I think my buddies hate them.  :lol:  Every show track is designed to get me where I need to be in less than 60 seconds.  Most in 30 seconds. Once I was complemented on how quickly I got to where I needed to be. The guy was amazed.

I have mastered "speed listening".  Of course I listen to more of the song than that.  I want to give a fair evaluation but I also want to listen for multiple aspects. Each track has something special I am listening for so each track has to quickly take me to an important aspect I am trying to evaluate and I can continue from there.  No long lead-ins.  No "There was a train from......"  :nono:

I am talking show demo tracks here.  For home demos a more relaxing pace can be taken because I am not hogging the sweet spot.  At shows I am considerate of others and want to practice good kindergarten rules--share.

I thought of another good demo.  Something from Rodrigo y Gabriella to demonstrate system speed and keep the listener awake.  :hyper:

JeffB

« Reply #25 on: 4 Feb 2016, 03:38 am »
When I am at audio shows, I dislike how many demos use music without very much going on.  Basically any speaker would sound pretty good with that song, and I am left wondering how it would do on a complex piece of music.
I had a demo in an audio store once.  I am not going to name the speaker brand other than to say it was a mostly full-range ribbon speaker.
I had the dealer put on Judas Priest "Rising in the East" DVD (live).  I thought the speaker sounded horrible.  And I know that DVD sounds awesome on the right gear.  The dealer then put on something that I can only describe as a water garden, background music, for going to sleep.  The speaker sounded quite good on this piece of music.  I will note these speakers are universally praised.

I also hate how many rooms seem to play very old eclectic music that I have zero desire to listen to.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #26 on: 4 Feb 2016, 06:50 am »
We are not talking about audio shows here are we? This is about a song that will show off your system. I'm going to check out all of the songs and albums listed above because that's what this hobby is all about imo.

One of the songs I like playing because everyone knows it is Pink Floyd - speak to me/breath. There's that long boring heart beat and that darn talking before the song gets going... Everyone has their own taste after all.

Don_S

« Reply #27 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:04 pm »
We are not talking about audio shows here are we? This is about a song that will show off your system. I'm going to check out all of the songs and albums listed above because that's what this hobby is all about imo.

One of the songs I like playing because everyone knows it is Pink Floyd - speak to me/breath. There's that long boring heart beat and that darn talking before the song gets going... Everyone has their own taste after all.

gregfisk,

A lot of my show demo tracks are also killer on my home system.  That is why I use them at shows.  They are my favorites at home as well. And for home demos to friends I feel it is still important to engage them quickly.

Thanks for bringing up Pink Floyd. That reminds me to ask a question that I have been pondering.  I have heard some tracks from "The Wall" that were excellent both for home and shows.  I do not know the source (CD, hi-res download?).  Does the CD sound good or is it typical 80's nasty?  I want to get a copy of something.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:33 pm »
gregfisk,

A lot of my show demo tracks are also killer on my home system.  That is why I use them at shows.  They are my favorites at home as well. And for home demos to friends I feel it is still important to engage them quickly.

Thanks for bringing up Pink Floyd. That reminds me to ask a question that I have been pondering.  I have heard some tracks from "The Wall" that were excellent both for home and shows.  I do not know the source (CD, hi-res download?).  Does the CD sound good or is it typical 80's nasty?  I want to get a copy of something.

What tracks do you like to use and what are you particularly looking for in them?

Mike

jazyes

« Reply #29 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:50 pm »
gregfisk,

Don_S,

Just last weekend I picked up the 2011 James Guthrie CD remaster of "The Wall". While it is a little "heavy" on the bottom end, it has a huge sound stage and sounds quite good. I also can't resist using the SACD version of "Time" from DSOTM, if you like surround. - John

Don_S

« Reply #30 on: 4 Feb 2016, 05:56 pm »
Don_S,

Just last weekend I picked up the 2011 James Guthrie CD remaster of "The Wall". While it is a little "heavy" on the bottom end, it has a huge sound stage and sounds quite good. I also can't resist using the SACD version of "Time" from DSOTM, if you like surround. - John

jazyes,  Where did you get the CD?  Amazon is a mess as far as finding and receiving a specific issue.

Mike,

I won't say my demo tracks are the best but they work for me because first off, they are something I like to listen to.  They aren't just chosen for showing off.

Emmylou Harris uses her voice more like an instrument than any other singer I know of.  I love the inflections.  Picks here would be live tracks or something from Cowgirl's Prayer She has suffered from heavy-handed producers on some albums and her voice gets lost in the mayhem.

Jennifer Warnes  Famous Blue Raincoat  I love her dubbed backup.  Reveals how nuanced a system is.

Joe Bonamassa especially something from An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House for dynamics and bass.

Rodrigo y Gabriela Live in Japan  Several good tracks on that CD.  That CD has blistering speed on some systems and on others it slogs by comparison.  The trick is to have heard it on a fast system because, as I said, by comparison. Once you hear it right it sets an unforgettable  reference.  I also use it for continuity testing.  On speakers with multiple different drivers I find they don't always match on speed.  Then it gets sloppy.  Otherwise the CD is very crisp and tight.

I will probably think of some more later. I avoid Stevie Ray Vaughn and Nils Lofgren. I tend to find them sounding good on most systems and can't use them to differentiate.  I categorize them as exciting but hard to use to evaluate.  But that is just me.  I also think Lofgren writes with all the lyrical sophistication of "The Wheels on the Bus" and he makes me want to vomit when he sings.  :lol:

jazyes

« Reply #31 on: 4 Feb 2016, 06:47 pm »
Don_S,

Believe it or not, I found it at Wal-Mart. In 2011 PF reissued their catalog in various forms on CD, vinyl and SACD. I would also recommend Animals, Atom Heart Mother
and WYWH SACD in 5.1 (no chance of finding this one at Wal-Mart though). FYI, Jimmy Page did the same thing with the Zeppelin catalog recently. I think the CD's are
much improved over all the previous incarnations. They have very good dynamics and do not suffer from the "loudness wars", so they are extremely "crankable". Highlights for me were Zepp II and III. The prices won't drain your bank account either.

Skiman

« Reply #32 on: 4 Feb 2016, 07:00 pm »
When Danny had his always excellent system at RMAF, it's was fascinating to watch people come in and then leave almost immediately. Obviously, this was because they didn't like the music being played at that moment.
I'm often guilty of wanting to show off my system, as opposed to having a guest genuinely interested in listening. But then I hardly have any audiophile friends. Usually, they are more than impressed just watching a blu ray on my 10 ft projection screen with some loud explosions. :lol:   

Big Red Machine

« Reply #33 on: 4 Feb 2016, 07:20 pm »
1. Love Letters Straight From Your Heart
 Arranged by Adrian York
 Celeste and soundscape recordings Adrian York
 Cello Thangam Debbonaire
 Voices Barb Jungr

If you get sibilance with this track, you have a cabling issue or worse. Very useful as my test of smooth delivery. There is a warble to her voice, but no etching if your system is "good".

Don_S

« Reply #34 on: 4 Feb 2016, 07:20 pm »
Don_S,

Believe it or not, I found it at Wal-Mart. In 2011 PF reissued their catalog in various forms on CD, vinyl and SACD. I would also recommend Animals, Atom Heart Mother
and WYWH SACD in 5.1 (no chance of finding this one at Wal-Mart though). FYI, Jimmy Page did the same thing with the Zeppelin catalog recently. I think the CD's are
much improved over all the previous incarnations. They have very good dynamics and do not suffer from the "loudness wars", so they are extremely "crankable". Highlights for me were Zepp II and III. The prices won't drain your bank account either.

jazyes,

Could you please check the issuer?  Amazon has two offerings remastered in 2011.  One is Capitol and the other is Parlophone.  James Guthrie did the Parlophone edition.  Is that what you recommend?  Of course it costs more. $18.04. What was it at Walmart?  Did you get it in the store or online?

jazyes

« Reply #35 on: 4 Feb 2016, 08:31 pm »
Don_S,

Either one as long as it's the Guthrie 2011 remaster . I bought the Capitol version. I think the Parlophone label is issued in the UK and Amazon usually classifies it as an import. The album title will be printed in red on the cover instead of black like the original vinyl. I paid $19.99 for mine and bought it in a store. But as I'm sure you know, the Wal-Mart music sections vary from store to store and can be pretty lean. Good luck.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #36 on: 12 Feb 2016, 05:34 am »
A great 'go to' tune for me has always been Candleman, by Billy McLaughlin on the Out of Hand album. A sweet-spot-sittin'-main-system-must.

Sample

londonbarn

« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2016, 01:07 pm »
Excellent tune Jerry.. I love it and wil be buying his album... Thanks for the post

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #38 on: 13 Feb 2016, 04:36 am »
For the right main-system listener(s), this one always works, too. The words just hang in the air like smoke:

Jesus Forgive Me (For The Things I'm about to Say): Sample