Bryston WiFi Dongle Accessory Kit

BigGeek

Re: Bryston WiFi Dongle Accessory Kit
« Reply #20 on: 26 Nov 2017, 11:26 pm »
currently i believe only the wifi usb dongle has made it onto the price list and i believe James is correct, it is $80.  The internal version for the BDP-3 should be available shortly, parts list has been finalized and stock should arrive sometime in December.  Im not sure why the internal storage options arn't listed yet, as far as I am aware we have a small stock of each storage option and is likely just making its way through the paper work.

Chris

No Idea yet about release date for the "WiFongle"?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2017, 04:34 am »
The USB dongle, you should just be able to go into any bryston dealer and order one.  If they are unaware of what it is, they should be able to contact us directly for pricing and info.  The internal wifi option, I'm not sure exactly when it'll be available or how much it'll be.

BigGeek

« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2017, 06:02 pm »
I talked with a more knowledgeable guy at Audio Advisor and ordered one of these. Works well.

Much harder to get it going than the instructions would suggest. Mostly because I had to do a global restore and reboot on the BDP before I could see the Bryston Digital Player site show up on my iPad's list of available networks. Until I figured that out, I tried different ports, unplugging everything else USB related from the BDP, a Windows machine and other Apple machines, ... . A real pain.

Also there seems to be another reboot needed after you set up the BDP to use your home network. When you hit 'apply' after picking your home network and putting in the password,  a reboot automatically happens. However I am still not able to see the BDP from my iPad because the BDP is in limbo between it's own network and the home network details that you just put in. It keeps showing a message about wrong password and it is stuck. I found that manually triggering another reboot sorts everything and then you are off and running.

Works well after that.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 5 Dec 2017, 08:01 pm »
I talked with a more knowledgeable guy at Audio Advisor and ordered one of these. Works well.

Much harder to get it going than the instructions would suggest. Mostly because I had to do a global restore and reboot on the BDP before I could see the Bryston Digital Player site show up on my iPad's list of available networks. Until I figured that out, I tried different ports, unplugging everything else USB related from the BDP, a Windows machine and other Apple machines, ... . A real pain.

Also there seems to be another reboot needed after you set up the BDP to use your home network. When you hit 'apply' after picking your home network and putting in the password,  a reboot automatically happens. However I am still not able to see the BDP from my iPad because the BDP is in limbo between it's own network and the home network details that you just put in. It keeps showing a message about wrong password and it is stuck. I found that manually triggering another reboot sorts everything and then you are off and running.

Works well after that.

Hi

Thanks for the feedback - do you feel we should expand on the instructions?

james

BrisbaneTom

« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2017, 04:06 am »
Hi Chris/James,

I have some queries regarding the WiFi dongle.

My BDP-1 is configured as follows:

•   All my music (FLAC) is stored on a Synology NAS, connected via a 1m Ethernet cable to a Linksys wireless router.
•   The NAS and wireless router are at the opposite end of the house to the BDP.
•   I currently use a five year old Netgear wireless range extender (N600) to connect to the back of the BDP via Ethernet.
•   I’ve never used the USB ports on the BDP.

I've very recently upgraded my wireless router from a Netgear Nighthawk, to a Linksys WRT1900ACS. The enhanced performance on the BDP as a result is incredible. There is now zero skipping in the tracks, cd covers load instantly on the iPad, etc.
I'm not sure if this is a result of the new wireless router, but the BDP appears to boot up much quicker from the power being completely off (i generally leave it on all the time).

Due to the enhanced performance of the new router, I no longer really require the range extender except to connect it to the BDP via Ethernet. 

Questions are:
1) Based on the above, would the dongle be a good purchase for me?
2) Would I see any wifi performance increase over my (approximately) 5 year old range extender?

Best wishes,

BrisbaneTom
Bryston 4BSST2/BP26/MPS2/BDP1/BDA1/BCD1/BHA1/BR2

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2017, 03:20 pm »
You might see a performance gain from using the WiFi dongle as you'd be transferring data via USB (300Mb/s) rather then the 100Mb/s Ethernet.  I'm also not sure what kind of performance gain your going to see though with this change.  Also if your using a 3rd party USB DAC with the BDP-1 it may not like sharing the USB interfaces with another device.  My opinion would be to keep what you have and perhaps consider the WiFi dongle if the netgear extender either gives up the ghost or otherwise begins to be problematic.

Chris

doveman

« Reply #26 on: 27 Dec 2017, 05:41 am »
For anyone that is interested I recently moved my stereo setup and could no longer connect it via ethernet so I thought I would give a third party wifi dongle a go.

I bought a unit common to Linux Pi style systems, the Panda Wireless wifi kit for about US$10 and it seems to work fine with my BDP-1. Obviously transferring music is painfully slow, but for the purposes of controlling the BDP-1 the little usb wifi works great.

I just plugged it it, restarted the BDP-1 and followed the instructions on the Bryston website to set up the wireless settings. http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP_WiFi_MANUAL.pdf

So if you need one now, and can't wait for the official unit, this one seems to work.

doveman

« Reply #27 on: 27 Dec 2017, 05:43 am »

Works well after that.

I just tried setting up an un official dongle and got it working, I'm not sure if you tried this before or after the instructions were available from Bryston, but the official instructions are good to get it working, I tried doing it without the instructions by connecting the unit via ethernet, thinking I would have to do that to log in and change settings, obviously this didn't work and the wireless adapter never showed up as a network interface, but the instructions/method that Bryston presents make sense and work, and save stuffing around with cables. I also used an iPad to set it all up.

zoom25

« Reply #28 on: 27 Dec 2017, 05:54 am »
Thanks for the info. Will look into it.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #29 on: 27 Dec 2017, 02:45 pm »
A LOT cheaper too!  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #30 on: 27 Dec 2017, 04:02 pm »
Just make sure it has the proper chip set

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #31 on: 27 Dec 2017, 11:33 pm »
Smart thinking looking for a pi compatibly WiFi dongle, although less common I have seen some 300Mbs variants out there with larger internal antennas.  Also depending on the orientation of the bdp relative to the router you may want to consider plugging it into the front of the bdp rather then behind.  I can't imagine power draw being anymore then our official 300Mbs unit (roughly 280mA at full power.... I think).

Chris

zoom25

« Reply #32 on: 27 Dec 2017, 11:45 pm »
The Bryston adapter or third party adapters should still work off of USB hubs right? Plug the USB adaptor into the USB hub and then the main USB output cable into the BDP?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #33 on: 29 Dec 2017, 02:52 pm »
I see no reason why it shouldn’t

docder

« Reply #34 on: 4 Jan 2018, 10:16 pm »
A Bryston Dongle arrived today. I followed the instruction but no BDP network appears in  my wireless network list and there is no response from http://192.168.57.1
it is like old times, I had forgotten the Bryson network frustrations of years gone by.
I have gone through the process several times, inserted dongle, rebooted, searched for the BDP network ...  where should it appear? In the wireless network list? as a device?
I have tried with and without ethernet connected. I have tried on different Mac computers.

I have a BDP-1, using the most recent Macbook Pro, and the BDP-1 is running the most recent beta firmware from end of December.

Help!  Thank you.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #35 on: 5 Jan 2018, 12:47 am »
If you push the down button on the front of the bdp you should see eth0 offline, pushing down again should show wlan0 192.168.57.1 if the bdp is configuring the wifi dongle.

docder

« Reply #36 on: 5 Jan 2018, 01:10 pm »
Thanks Chris, eth offline shows on pressing down button but with another press nothing happens - so this means dongle is not configuring? What to do now?

d

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #37 on: 5 Jan 2018, 03:35 pm »
Hi Docder,

Try using the "reset network" function on the from the menu system located on the front of the unit, while the dongle is plugged in.

right button
down to settings
right button
down to "reset network"
right button
wait for it to finish and turn the bdp off and back on

if it still isn't working you can either perform a global variable reset (found in the same menu as "reset network") or move the BDP so you can plug it into your network and place it in service mode (with the wifi dongle attached)

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

docder

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jan 2018, 04:23 pm »
Thanks Chris, the global reset has brought on communication between dongle and BDP, the dongle is flashing away merrily now, I'm happy.

df

zoom25

« Reply #39 on: 15 Feb 2018, 08:50 pm »
Got wireless working on the BDP-1 with a USB adapter from another device.

The instructions on the website worked. I did have to restart the BDP a second time before I could find my home network on the select down menu.

It's up and working. Will be testing it out with Roon. I do have a spare Audioquest Jitterbug laying around which I may consider adding down the road. Right now using as is. I'll be comparing it to my local closed ethernet setup which is powered with a LPS for the network switch and an assortment of Cat 6 UTP and Cat 6a S/STP shielded cables. I have the shielded cables in an assortment of grounding methods (Floating shields on both ends, one end etc.).

Before this, I actually did try something else which was using a bridged connection to connect ethernet directly from the Macbook Pro to the BDP-1 without any router or switch in between. I think Antipodes recommends that as well due to something about comms layer. FWIW.

Right now, I'm listening with Roon and Wifi adapter with nothing else plugged into the BDP-1.

As far as SQ is concerned, early impressions seem to be very positive! Perhaps better timing and/or clarity. It sounded great right off the bat. Involving. Reminds me of when I first brought in the Torus. The hash disappears and initially you feel as if the sound is drier but being more clear and 100% more engaging.

It just might come out ahead of all the combinations I've had with ethernet including MPD with flash drives straight. Let's see if that changes. The only thing I'm worried about on my end is wifi stability. Had some dropouts in between as the router is placed quite far from the room. Still, stable for the most part.