Orientation of Super V

Shakeydeal

Orientation of Super V
« on: 22 May 2017, 01:41 pm »
As much as I have enjoyed my Super Vs for the last several months of ownership, I've noticed that on quite a few recordings there is a sharpness that creeps in. For most of this time I have had the speakers firing directly at me. A few weeks ago I tried toeing them out a few degrees to be different degrees of "off axis" to my ears. The difference was very subtle.

Fast forward to this weekend. I moved my listening position ~six inches further back, moved the speakers ~3 - 4 inches further apart and fired them directly straight ahead into the room. Huge improvement. The soundstage is wider and deeper, but most importantly, the tonal balance is more natural and engaging. I know that this might be subjective, but the difference was so great, it sounds as though they were meant to fire straight ahead?

Has anyone else had this experience?

Shakey

Danny Richie

Re: Orientation of Super V
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 05:43 pm »
I repeatedly tell everyone asking me about speaker placement to not be afraid to really move their speakers around and try different locations. All rooms are different and there is no one size fits all ideal target.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2017, 05:52 pm »
Well the reason I posted this is because some speakers are designed for certain orientation. My old Reference 3a Grand Veenas  were designed to be fired directly ahead. Doesn't matter about the room they are in, that's how they work. Toeing them in any more than ~20 degrees completely destroys the presentation. Same thing for the older Alon designs. Straight ahead, absolutely no toe in. Small room, big room, live room, dead room. Didn't matter, NO toe in.

My room is treated and close to golden ratio dimensions, so it's a pretty good sounding room. The difference I heard was dramatic enough that I don't think the room was in play at all. Just seems like a characteristic of the coaxial driver.

So I agree that with most speakers it's room dependent as well as subjective. With others, there is only one absolute. I was just curious what the consensus was on orientation with other owners.

Shakey

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2017, 05:58 pm »
As much as I have enjoyed my Super Vs for the last several months of ownership, I've noticed that on quite a few recordings there is a sharpness that creeps in. For most of this time I have had the speakers firing directly at me. A few weeks ago I tried toeing them out a few degrees to be different degrees of "off axis" to my ears. The difference was very subtle.

Fast forward to this weekend. I moved my listening position ~six inches further back, moved the speakers ~3 - 4 inches further apart and fired them directly straight ahead into the room. Huge improvement. The soundstage is wider and deeper, but most importantly, the tonal balance is more natural and engaging. I know that this might be subjective, but the difference was so great, it sounds as though they were meant to fire straight ahead?

Has anyone else had this experience?

Shakey
Get a miniDSP mic and REW and use that to help you. 

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/