Something new that sounds incredible

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #660 on: 11 Jun 2015, 04:15 am »
My buddy  the painter (sure wish he lived in town)  loves his  HVLP system, he uses it a  lot, they can be pretty versitile but I guess have their limits like anything else .
As for the   H-frames and pricing,  we took them in bare, they didn't want me to prime them so it made it pretty difficult to prep, the thin coat of  glue/water helps  show  things up. When  the  guys  looked them over they felt they were   fine.  I told them if they found any issues after priming to call and we'd pick them up  to take care of them but never  had any calls.  I believe they  sparyed  a couple coats of some  primer / sealer  they use then gave them a quick sanding before painting.
The bottoms were alreay done in  bed liner so  not much wrestling was involved.  I believe they charged my buddy  $400, maybe $500,  I can find out for sure   tomorrow after he picks them up  but that's   a good ball park.
Pretty anxious to see them   and get them finished up  ,  hopefully will have some pics tomorrow  in the thread.

I've never tried the  cut into the seam and  rfill method but  have read about it.  Let us know how that goes,  I'd  be interested in trying it myself one  of these days to

jay

Jay,

Did you have them painted at an auto body shop or some other type of paint shop?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #661 on: 11 Jun 2015, 04:30 am »
Jay,

Did you have them painted at an auto body shop or some other type of paint shop?

Mike

Yes, it was an auto body facility..    Wasn't overly  speedy, guess that's what happens when it's kind of an extra for them

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #662 on: 11 Jun 2015, 05:13 am »
Yes, it was an auto body facility..    Wasn't overly  speedy, guess that's what happens when it's kind of an extra for them

jay

Jay,

Thanks

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #663 on: 24 Oct 2015, 01:34 am »
Danny, I was wondering if you ever finished the design for the Wedgie with the 9 LGKs below?  If so, is there any reason someone couldn't add the the 9 LGKs in a separate base for the Wedgie?

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #664 on: 24 Oct 2015, 01:46 pm »
Danny, I was wondering if you ever finished the design for the Wedgie with the 9 LGKs below?  If so, is there any reason someone couldn't add the the 9 LGKs in a separate base for the Wedgie?

Thanks,
Ed

I have not completed that design. When the availability of the Neo tweeters went away I put the brakes on the whole project.

ebag4

« Reply #665 on: 24 Oct 2015, 02:01 pm »
I have not completed that design. When the availability of the Neo tweeters went away I put the brakes on the whole project.
Thanks Danny, I thought that might be the case but wanted to ask.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #666 on: 28 Nov 2015, 07:26 pm »
Danny,  still trying to figure the hi pass to the wedgie amp out,  what is the -3dB frequency we are shooting for with the Wedgie?  If you have told us before I can't seem to find it. From what I have read the -3dB should be 1/10th of where you want to cross, that would make the -3dB around 18 Hz, is this correct?

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #667 on: 29 Nov 2015, 12:20 am »
Danny,  still trying to figure the hi pass to the wedgie amp out,  what is the -3dB frequency we are shooting for with the Wedgie?  If you have told us before I can't seem to find it. From what I have read the -3dB should be 1/10th of where you want to cross, that would make the -3dB around 18 Hz, is this correct?

Thanks,
Ed

If you just use a single small cap value inline with your amp to roll off the first octave then that will help these little LGK drivers out a lot. Where they are going to be down and how much they are down in the first octave will barely even effect them at the crossover point. I'd shoot for something 6db down or more at 20Hz. And even if you are -6db down at 40Hz and higher you are still in pretty good shape. They will cross to the lower drivers at around the 200Hz point.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #668 on: 18 Apr 2016, 05:49 pm »
Thanks Danny, I thought that might be the case but wanted to ask.

Best,
Ed

Did I see somewhere that the Neo 3 tweeters were available again, or going to be sometime soon? If so, any plans to make this a kit?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #669 on: 18 Apr 2016, 06:15 pm »
The BG Neo3 PDR will be available from Parts Express in July from the latest info.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #670 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:40 pm »
So...does that mean Danny/ GR Research will have them too or not?

Danny Richie

« Reply #671 on: 21 Apr 2016, 02:06 pm »
So...does that mean Danny/ GR Research will have them too or not?

I'm having some new custom variations made right now. Also working on a face plate that incorporates a wave guide.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #672 on: 21 Apr 2016, 03:14 pm »
I'm having some new custom variations made right now. Also working on a face plate that incorporates a wave guide.

Good to hear

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #673 on: 21 Apr 2016, 09:00 pm »
Nice! Any chance of selling a complete kit that includes the pre-cut open baffles this time?

Danny Richie

« Reply #674 on: 21 Apr 2016, 09:12 pm »
Nice! Any chance of selling a complete kit that includes the pre-cut open baffles this time?

Kits with flat packs are in stock and shipping. See the information here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141654.0

ebag4

« Reply #675 on: 21 Apr 2016, 11:58 pm »
Danny, will you be moving forward with the "Wedgie" floor stander with the 9 LGKs below the MMTMM  now that the NEOs have become available again or do you think the NX Ottica makes that design unnecessary?

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #676 on: 22 Apr 2016, 01:37 pm »
Danny, will you be moving forward with the "Wedgie" floor stander with the 9 LGKs below the MMTMM  now that the NEOs have become available again or do you think the NX Ottica makes that design unnecessary?

Best,
Ed

The driver cost pushes it up into a the same price range as the NX-Otica. And it also becomes a 4 piece speaker set. Performance wise I am not sure it would really offer any advantage either. Still I will consider it.

Keithh

« Reply #677 on: 22 Apr 2016, 03:02 pm »
Danny, would there be any performance increase using an external crossover sitting on the floor, or even mounted inside
the same box as the servo amp?

Danny Richie

« Reply #678 on: 22 Apr 2016, 03:17 pm »
Danny, would there be any performance increase using an external crossover sitting on the floor, or even mounted inside
the same box as the servo amp?

Well, the crossover for this speaker is external as there is no speaker box or cabinet that is is mounted in. And I wouldn't mount it in or to near the servo amp as it then might pick up electromagnetic interference from the AC power supply. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #679 on: 22 Apr 2016, 03:36 pm »
And guys, these use a very simplistic crossover.