The µRendu "Dongle" USB cable tour

Triode Pete

The µRendu "Dongle" USB cable tour
« on: 24 Nov 2016, 03:45 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

After a few inquiries, I'll be sending around a µRendu "Dongle" USB cable on a cable tour for audition.

Those interested can post here and then send me a "PM" with your shipping address.

Cheers,
Pete

Here's the list;
  • poseidonsvoice
  • glynnw
  • Cappy
  • ErnDog
  • jpm
  • Phil A
  • Dave G
  • mikeeastman

As soon as you "PM me" with your address, you'll be on the audition list.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2016, 11:03 pm by Triode Pete »

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: The µRendu "Dongle" USB cable tour
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2016, 04:03 am »
me me me.
Glynn Wilson

Ern Dog

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2016, 06:23 am »
Count me in.  I'd love to try this out :)
Thanks!

Ern Dog

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2016, 06:25 am »
How long is the dongle?

Cappy

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2016, 06:26 am »
I'm in.

Triode Pete

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2016, 02:28 pm »
How long is the dongle?

Approximately 9" long...

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2016, 02:50 pm »
Please add me to the tour list.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2016, 04:09 pm »
I'm interested too

jpm

« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2016, 05:16 pm »
Raises hand (waving, not drowning)

Ern Dog

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2016, 05:21 pm »
Approximately 9" long...

Thanks, that would work well.

Can you explain the difference between dongle and your standard USB cable? Is the length the only difference?

Will this uRendu dongle work with my Aurender music server?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2016, 06:15 pm »
I have had my dongle for quite some time and I am pretty confident in saying that all of you are in for a nice treat and sonic upgrade.

Pete and Dave really did an outstanding job on this cable.

George

Triode Pete

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2016, 08:52 pm »
Thanks, that would work well.

Can you explain the difference between dongle and your standard USB cable? Is the length the only difference?

Will this uRendu dongle work with my Aurender music server?

Hey Ern Dog,
The ~9" long "Dongle" was made for devices such as the µRendu and should work fine on your Aurender music server! I also have a very flexible 15" or 30" single USB cable that I call the "Discrete" cable. While the 9" dongle sounds very, very good, the 15" or 30" Discrete USB cable has a bit more "clarity" and "punch" than the 9" dongle. Different design parameters.... and then finally I have the "Split Power & Data" USB cable, available in 0.75m & 1m lengths, and that is truly a statement USB cable... Like "The Offspring" song goes, "You gotta keep 'em separated!"... but you need TWO USB Type "A" connector slots available, one for the Power (+5V & ground) and one for the data (Data - & Data +)...

Also, "Custom USB" cables are available... If your device doesn't require the +5V "handshake", a "Data Only" cable can be fabricated...

I will get my website updated with pictures & details this month! No more excuses!!!  :duh:

Cheers,
Pete

Lissnr

« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2016, 01:14 am »
Hey Guys, Just wanted to chime in here a minute as I consider myself one of the lucky 'first few' to try out Pete's USB cable. I have tried a couple of decent USB's from a friend of mine that worked fine. [Brand names escape me but suffice to say they were a step up from generic] but I knew there must be better. So I asked Pete if he could help and in that very unassuming voice of his he said he had one I should definitely try. It was a .75M length designed as a single 'combined' version for a straightforward [one USB] jack. Nice cable. Good looking too in its classy looking gray sheathing. My digital front end is all Lampizator. For CD playback I run a vintage upgraded Teac VRDS 10 into a Lampi TranspOrt which then feeds my Lampi Big 7 Dac ( this was a recommended  configuration by Lukasz himself) but the USB comes from my Lampi Komputer into the  B7 and that's where Pete's USB did service. And how... How to describe such an obvious improvement over the other cables? What had been an underlying yet [prior - to - comparison] "acceptable" layer of grunge was completely gone... and replaced by a fresh new transparency, open-ness and clarity.  Notes sang with an effortlessly natural grace. The signature TWL 'organic tone' , a staple and welcome signature to the entire TWL product
line and indeed its most envied character trait is alive and well in this cable... and that's GREAT news!
But just for fun... after applauding Pete for 'another hole in one' I had to mention the fact that fwiw my Komputer did have more than one USB ports available and how I had heard the conversations extolling the twin cable ( signal/power separate) benefits...Honestly it was less a curiosity and more of a logistic factor as I had recently shuffled a few rack components and needed a slightly longer USB cable. Pete to the rescue: a custom length twin cable version in a jiffy. NICE cable!!!!! How nice? I'm simply going to say: even ' More/ Better/ all of the above. Lucid, open, effortless and natural. Wow. Thanks again Pete!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2016, 02:24 am »
Hi fellas,

Peter was kind enough to mail me his TWL "Spirit" uRendu dongle late last week. It's been playing in the main rig for several days. I suggest all of you reading to check out my systems page for complete details but my digital rig is as follows:

SonicTransporter I5 (Roon) - Sonore µRendu - Curious USB cable - Auralic Vega. The µRendu & SonicTransporter are powered by UpTone Audio's JS-2. The Vega uses TWL's Digital American power cable.

So the comparison is between the Curious Cable.

From a construction standpoint, the µRendu dongle is über flexible while the Curious is definitely more stiff. The fit and finish are outstanding. I am happy to see that Pete applies the same fastidious attention to each and every cable he produces.

1st and foremost µRendu dongle is highly listenable and organic sounding. You can listen for hours on end and even to a few recordings that might be a little less than pristine. Vocals are a high point and the cable has that "triode" DHT effect for lack of a better word. Bass is strong and reasonably taut with the midbass fleshed out. If you're system leans to being dry and analytical sounding on some of your favorite recordings the µRendu dongle is your ticket.

I found both imaging and soundstaging to be similar between the two cables, and it was outstanding.

So what is it lacking?  The Curious cable's upper midrange was more detailed and delineated. You could hear decay, and make out the micro detailing such as the snapping of the keyholes on a clarinet solo, the edginess of a sarod (Indian stringed instrument), the blare of a trumpet or plucking of a double bass. The leading edge was more present with the Curious cable which rendered the recording more REAL. The bass was less plump, less ripe, more detailed but without being one note. In fact resonances within the bass were far more apparent, as if there were multiple harmonics audible after the primary harmonic. The midrange between the two cables were similar, although the Curious cable seemed drier but more realistically captivating at the same time.

Does this mean the µRendu is bad? Heck no! It's a bit less livelier sounding which I am sure will be a welcome addition to many systems.

For me, I'm looking forward to Pete's Discreet cable whenever he can get one out to me! Thanks again for the audition opportunity  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2016, 11:07 am by poseidonsvoice »

Triode Pete

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2016, 02:10 pm »
Hi fellas,

Peter was kind enough to mail me his TWL "Spirit" uRendu dongle late last week. It's been playing in the main rig for several days. I suggest all of you reading to check out my systems page for complete details but my digital rig is as follows:

SonicTransporter I5 (Roon) - Sonore µRendu - Curious USB cable - Auralic Vega. The µRendu & SonicTransporter are powered by UpTone Audio's JS-2. The Vega uses TWL's Digital American power cable.

So the comparison is between the Curious Cable.

From a construction standpoint, the µRendu dongle is über flexible while the Curious is definitely more stiff. The fit and finish are outstanding. I am happy to see that Pete applies the same fastidious attention to each and every cable he produces.

1st and foremost µRendu dongle is highly listenable and organic sounding. You can listen for hours on end and even to a few recordings that might be a little less than pristine. Vocals are a high point and the cable has that "triode" DHT effect for lack of a better word. Bass is strong and reasonably taut with the midbass fleshed out. If you're system leans to being dry and analytical sounding on some of your favorite recordings the µRendu dongle is your ticket.

I found both imaging and soundstaging to be similar between the two cables, and it was outstanding.

So what is it lacking?  The Curious cable's upper midrange was more detailed and delineated. You could hear decay, and make out the micro detailing such as the snapping of the keyholes on a clarinet solo, the edginess of a sarod (Indian stringed instrument), the blare of a trumpet or plucking of a double bass. The leading edge was more present with the Curious cable which rendered the recording more REAL. The bass was less plump, less ripe, more detailed but without being one note. In fact resonances within the bass were far more apparent, as if there were multiple harmonics audible after the primary harmonic. The midrange between the two cables were similar, although the Curious cable seemed drier but more realistically captivating at the same time.

Does this mean the µRendu is bad? Heck no! It's a bit less livelier sounding which I am sure will be a welcome addition to many systems.

For me, I'm looking forward to Pete's Discreet cable whenever he can get one out to me! Thanks again for the audition opportunity  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

Hi Anand,
Thanks for your insightful review of the µRendu "Dongle"! Dave E & I are working on getting a "Discrete" cable out to you... as I eluded earlier, the "Discrete" has bit more "punch" & "clarity" than the "Dongle"...

Cheers,
Pete

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2016, 03:19 pm »

We can only expect good things from a TWL/PIAudio collaboration. Anad give the cable about 150 hours and give another listen. It will open up much more with a more linear presentation. Happy listening.

charles

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2016, 04:05 pm »
   We can only expect good things from a TWL/PIAudio collaboration. Anad give the cable about 150 hours and give another listen. It will open up much more with a more linear presentation. Happy listening.

charles

Thank you for the advice!

Kind regards,

Anand.

Dave G

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2016, 01:12 am »
Put me on the list.  Thanks.

Dave

Triode Pete

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2016, 11:04 pm »
Updated List for the tour...

• poseidonsvoice
  • glynnw
  • Cappy
  • ErnDog
  • jpm
  • Phil A
  • Dave G
  • mikeeastman

Ern Dog

« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2016, 05:52 pm »
I'm wrapping up my demo of this cable and getting ready to ship to Phil A, per Pete.  Will ship Mon or Tues.

I found that this dongle was too short for my purposes, so I had to stack my dac on top of the Aurender in order for it to work.  I'm currently using the Curious cable and couldn't hear a difference in sound when I switched to this TWL cable.  I should say there was no obvious/big differences I could hear.  I'm sure there was some subtle differences that would take more time to discern.  That being said, it is a stellar USB cable and I highly recommend it.  Thanks for this opportunity Pete.