Bryston v Chord interconnect cables

geordienp

Bryston v Chord interconnect cables
« on: 31 Jul 2011, 11:58 pm »
I'm looking for a short balanced XLR lead to connect my Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player to my new Bryston 4BSST2.  How do the Bryston cables compare with Chord Anthem 2 (much more expensive) and Cobra Plus? Anyone tried comparing these?

VOLKS

Re: Bryston v Chord interconnect cables
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2011, 02:41 am »
geordienp ....do you live in Canada?I have some Bryston XLR's that are collecting dust...you can have a pair if you want

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2011, 02:44 am »
I'm looking for a short balanced XLR lead to connect my Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player to my new Bryston 4BSST2.  How do the Bryston cables compare with Chord Anthem 2 (much more expensive) and Cobra Plus? Anyone tried comparing these?

Hi geordienp

The Bryston cables are known to pass all real and imaginary audio signals :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2011, 05:50 am »
 :icon_lol:  :thumb:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2011, 06:48 pm »
Anyone answering this will teel you something different... The ONLY way to figure out what cables work for you and/or your system is to try, test and listen...
Make sure to include Nordost.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2011, 06:55 pm »
Anyone answering this will teel you something different... The ONLY way to figure out what cables work for you and/or your system is to try, test and listen...

+1

D.D.

geordienp

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2011, 09:46 pm »
Volks, sadly I am not in Canada, I'm in London, well actually it's very nice here.  Why are your Bryston XLR cables gathering dust?

VOLKS

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2011, 10:12 pm »
Volks, sadly I am not in Canada, I'm in London, well actually it's very nice here.  Why are your Bryston XLR cables gathering dust?

I upgraded to Acoustic Zen which seem to sonically match my speaker wire and system throughout in a way i prefer over the Bryston(which i believe are actually Vam Damm or Ven den hul) XLR's.................and i agree London is a great City! :thumb:

Vipers

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2011, 06:52 pm »
I haven't tried the Bryston XLR's but I've been fortunate enough recently to borrow from Chord their Anthem 2 and Sarum XLR's + their Signature and Sarum speaker cable, the retail price on the Sarum setup is £7600, crazy money.

I've been living with them for a week and going from Atlas RCA's I was amazed at the extra detail either of the different XLR's gave me, there was also better separation with instruments and the soundstage grew in width and height, but after a week they just weren't for me. For all the great things they did to my system the vocals just sounded to0 empty and neutral, for some reason they had lost the little bit of warmth, richness and weight I like.

I'm convinced though with my little test that Bryston works really well with XLR, better that RCA, I just need to find a XLR cable that I like.

saveloy

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2011, 07:43 pm »
Dear Mr Hethel,

I use a TCI XLR cable.  I find their cables incredibly good and incredible value. 
Mate, if you can lend me an XLR you can borrow mine to evaluate.

Kyri

Vipers

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2011, 09:01 pm »
Dear Mr Hethel,

I use a TCI XLR cable.  I find their cables incredibly good and incredible value. 
Mate, if you can lend me an XLR you can borrow mine to evaluate.

Kyri

Thanks for the offer Mr Saveloy, unfortunately I haven't got any spare XLR's, I'll have to see if Chord can permanently lend me some Sarums :)
I still think Atlas are the cables for me, I really want to try their Mavros range, at only around £500 per metre its a bit of a bargain compared to the Sarum.
Thanks again though.

saveloy

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2011, 09:17 pm »
You are very welcome, Vipers. 
If I get out to you anytime soon I'll bring my cable along. And I'll even let you touch it.

Kyri

Vipers

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2011, 06:19 pm »

If I get out to you anytime soon I'll bring my cable along. And I'll even let you touch it.
Kyri

I bet you say that to all the Audiophiles  :wink:

1oldguy

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2011, 06:32 pm »
I think I'll file this under......To much information.lol :thumb:

saveloy

« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2011, 07:59 pm »
Guys,

Don't worry, I rarely let it leave the confines of my living room!

Vipers, this is a bit random, but are you going to the Munich Oktoberfest?

Kyri

clive101

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2017, 07:19 pm »
I haven't tried the Bryston XLR's but I've been fortunate enough recently to borrow from Chord their Anthem 2 and Sarum XLR's + their Signature and Sarum speaker cable, the retail price on the Sarum setup is £7600, crazy money.

I've been living with them for a week and going from Atlas RCA's I was amazed at the extra detail either of the different XLR's gave me, there was also better separation with instruments and the soundstage grew in width and height, but after a week they just weren't for me. For all the great things they did to my system the vocals just sounded to0 empty and neutral, for some reason they had lost the little bit of warmth, richness and weight I like.

I'm convinced though with my little test that Bryston works really well with XLR, better that RCA, I just need to find a XLR cable that I like.

I have tried the Chord Sarum in my system and experienced the same loss of passion in the vocals, I switched the USB lead with the new Nordost TYR 2 USB cable, the vocals were stunning compared with the Sarum USB, the best I have ever experienced in any HIFI system to date, however lost so much else so went back to the chord Sarum which was a very good compromise.

When I connect Dave straight to the Amps with The Nordost TYR2 the vocal were even better, but again lost else where.

Pundamilia

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2017, 10:44 pm »
The Bryston cables are known to pass all real and imaginary audio signals :thumb:

Yeah James!!

Nothing like calling a ... "cable a cable"! :icon_lol: :icon_lol: