A Morning Smile Please

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
A Morning Smile Please
« on: 22 Jun 2009, 01:13 pm »
Hi All

I had some audiophile friends over on the weekend to do some comparison listening and we got into this discussion about the weird/comical things we had encountered as audiophiles over these many years. So I thought it might be fun to share some of these stories on the forum. The topic will be any funny story or strange happening that occurred in your own system, your friends or neighbors systems, at audio shows etc. These stories may be things like 'my most embarrassing moment in audio' to industry jokes such as the famous Paul Klipsch meeting Amar Bose in the hallway during an audio show in the 80's.

I will start with my most famous embarrassing story. In 1981 I was doing an audio show in Chicago. In those days that was where the hi-end audio displayed its wares and hoped to attract an audience.

A guy and his wife come into the Bryston demo room - I think we were using Magnepans at the time with a SOTA turntable. He hands me an LP (remember those) and ask me to play cut 5.  I oblige of course and after about 5 minutes he nods at me, that's enough and I hand him back his LP. Of course I ask him 'what did you think of the sound'?. He turns to me and says 'I have to say this has got to be the 'SECOND' best sound at the show. I smile of course, obviously very please with my incredible ability to put a great sounding system together and say 'great what did you think was the 'BEST' sound at the show? He turns to me and just as he is leaving the room says - "everything else!"

James
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2009, 03:33 pm by James Tanner »

drummermitchell

Re: A Morning Smile Please
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2009, 01:16 pm »
 :lol:good one James.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2009, 06:01 pm »
 :D

I did not see that one coming.

I thought he was going to say "It sounded like I have never heard it sound, Now if you could just play it again this time at 33  :icon_lol: .................."

« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2009, 12:18 am by Mad Mr H »

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2009, 08:38 pm »
I thought the punch line was going to be that he was buying the LP from someone at the show and just wanted to check it for scratches :idea:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:09 pm »
 :lol:

danman

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:26 am »
That's hilarious but at the same time must of been quite a kick in the teeth!!!???

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2009, 02:32 am »
That's hilarious but at the same time must of been quite a kick in the teeth!!!???

Ya my ego got bruised a little on that one.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2009, 03:14 am »
This one relates to live music.We did a tour up in Yellowknife NWT,years ago.
We played a gig at the gallery,anyway we just finished a set and we had sat down with some patrons.A waitress(older gal) sat down with us.She always wore her hair up in the beehive style(60s I think).She fired up a long kingsize cigarette,WHOOSH,FLAMBO,we all :o,surprized,shocked we couldn't move.A guy quickly grabbed a pitcher of beer and doused her hair with it.She ran to the can
and eventually came out(she was fine,(NO HAPPY,no hair)she grabbed her purse and left.we were just amazed that her hair went up,way too much hairspray.
We all laughed so hard we were crying.I did see her a few days later,she was wearing a scarf,she showed me what was left,just a little more than a crewcut.That beehive had to be a foot tall and I bet she used half a can of hairspray to hold it in place.I still laugh when I think about it and wonder if she quit smoking or cut down on the hair spray :lol:..

1oldguy

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2009, 06:13 am »
LOL..........Now that is Funny. :green: aa :lol: :thumb:

ec

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2009, 11:42 pm »
In the mid 80's to early 90's I shopped at a very "High End audio" store in the beaches.  The owner was very eccentric.  He was always tweaking things.  During a visit, he made one change / tweak and immediately stated: "wow - even a girl can hear that difference!"  Decades later, I was at a home theatre gathering.  The host was into tweaking and stated when he swapped digital cables - "Even my wife can hear the difference."  Seems like when there is big change perceived or real - women appear to be the deaf benchmarks.

What's with Yellowknife and the women?  I was there Feb 2002 for a business trip.  My 3 male colleagues and I went to a very small restaurant known to have real good fish and chips.   We were at one table and there were three women in their late 30's / early 40's at the next table.  One of the ladies at the next table says "you guys aren't from around here are you?"  My colleague Keith says "no we are not - we are here for business."
Lady: "what type of business you all in"
Keith: "computers"
Lady: "I know a little bit about computers - which company you work for?"
Keith: "IBM"
Lady: "never heard of it" she was either serious or deserved an Oscar.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2009, 11:51 pm »
In the mid 80's to early 90's I shopped at a very "High End audio" store in the beaches.  The owner was very eccentric.  He was always tweaking things.  During a visit, he made one change / tweak and immediately stated: "wow - even a girl can hear that difference!"  Decades later, I was at a home theatre gathering.  The host was into tweaking and stated when he swapped digital cables - "Even my wife can hear the difference."  Seems like when there is big change perceived or real - women appear to be the deaf benchmarks.

What's with Yellowknife and the women?  I was there Feb 2002 for a business trip.  My 3 male colleagues and I went to a very small restaurant known to have real good fish and chips.   We were at one table and there were three women in their late 30's / early 40's at the next table.  One of the ladies at the next table says "you guys aren't from around here are you?"  My colleague Keith says "no we are not - we are here for business."
Lady: "what type of business you all in"
Keith: "computers"
Lady: "I know a little bit about computers - which company you work for?"
Keith: "IBM"
Lady: "never heard of it" she was either serious or deserved an Oscar.

Hi Eric,

Was that Art Salvator?

james

ec

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2009, 12:43 am »

Hi Eric,

Was that Art Salvator?

james
[/quote]

Indeed it was.  I enjoyed dealing with him and listened to his personal reference system at that time which included the original Martin Logan CLS's

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2009, 02:04 am »

Hi Eric,

Was that Art Salvator?

james

Indeed it was.  I enjoyed dealing with him and listened to his personal reference system at that time which included the original Martin Logan CLS's
[/quote]

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2009, 02:05 am »

Hi Eric,

Was that Art Salvator?

james

[/quote]

Ya he was a great guy and very passionate about audio - I remember listening to his stripped down Quad 57's.

james

« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2009, 12:25 pm by James Tanner »

Levi

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2009, 03:29 pm »
This is a great one James. 

I used this joke on my Son who received 2nd honors in High School this year.  He is 2nd Honor because everyone else is 1st!  :duh:

It's ironic but we knew they are that good!

1oldguy

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2009, 03:34 pm »
Kind of reminds me of the guy who went to get counseling and quit.Appearently he couldn't get anyone to change their minds. :duh:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2009, 03:47 pm »
Ok another one for you.

Show in a hotel in downtown Toronto many years ago and our demo room was across the hall from a European manufacturer of a high quality Electrostatic speaker (name escapes me for the moment). Next to us on our side of the hallway was a company showing very large speakers which if I remember correctly had 15 inch woofers in them.

Throughout the first 2 days of the show the fellow with the electrostatics was constantly crossing the hall to tell the 'audio goons' (his words) in the adjacent room to us to "f****ing well turn it down" - no one can hear our demo!
Last day of the show the woofer guys were really turning it up big time and I was standing in the hall speaking with one of my dealers. All of a sudden the European guy comes streaking out of his room crosses the hall - yells "turn that shit down" and puts his boot right through the 15 inch woofer. :o

james
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2009, 06:49 pm by James Tanner »

Levi

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2009, 04:34 pm »
Bua ha ha ha :lol:  I like it!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2009, 05:06 pm »

...that's rock'n roll!!! :icon_twisted:

al.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2009, 05:27 pm »
For true Rock n Roll it would have to have gone out the window  :icon_lol: .

I can see it now, Speaker first, then the speaker cable, amp, cable, pre amp, cable, cd, mains cables........

Imagine that mess  :icon_twisted:

I remember moving in to my current place, its a row of Bungalows in a quiet road......

The neighbour at the time was in the kitchen with her stereo up very loud singing along......

I turn up in a van and start unloading my belongings.......Clothes, chair, microwave, not much its my first place.

She leans out the window with a "Sorry, I like my music loud I hope you dont mind................."

Mind I think  - Not at all, Just wait till the next TRUCK arrives  :lol:

Hour or so later, TRUCK arrives with the rest of my belongings

Out comes Cewin Vega trouser flappin bass Bins, Bose rig, Turbosound rig, amp racks, flight cases - Think Rock n Roll band tour sound system.

Having a moving in party? She asks.

Nope Im a sound engineer, This is just my Hi Fi  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

She turned the radio down and closed the window.

There are times in life when you just plain aint gonna win...............