Can having the mode switch on the wrong setting break an amp?

DavidD_85

Hello,

First post here, but I've been visiting since buying new BP6 and 4B-SST2 in 2012.

When I switched on the 4B yesterday the amp's circuit breaker tripped. I tried a few more times (always following the recommended start-up procedure), disconnecting everything except the power cable, trying different sockets and power cables, always the same result - after switching on the power at the wall the circuit breaker popped off after a few seconds, and this is without the amp's front power switch being in.

I discovered that I had switched on the amp with the mode switch on "bridge" when it should have been on "individual", I had accidentally caught the switch without noticing. Is it likely that only the internal fuse is blown, or is more damage possible?

There was no bang, nor smoke, nor smell of burning etc., and I had a look inside and can't see any obvious signs of damage.

I thought that I would try and replace the internal fuse but it looks pretty well encased in a hard silicone - is this intended to be owner-replaceable, if so are there any tips for replacing it?

Other than the above, Bryston ownership has been a joy!

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Hi

The mode switch being in the wrong position should not cause the amp to blow a fuse.  Please email this to Mike at Bryston and he will assist.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

DavidD_85

Thanks very much James. You must start work very early!

servingko

The fuse has a silicon cover that is a bugger to get back on but certainly can be accomplished with a bit of patience.

DavidD_85

The fuse is OK, unfortunately. So I'll take the amp back to the dealer for him to send to the UK distributor.