Bryston BDP-2 - Performance?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Bryston BDP-2 - Performance?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2016, 12:51 am »
I think there is some truth to this, as much as it bothers me to think about this.

I've used a G-drive (USB, spinning rust @ 7200 RPM), a Samsung EVO SSD and a pair of Corsair thumb drives (GS and GTX models, 256 and 512 GB).

The thumb drives draw less power and likely insert less electrical noise back into the device. I can't say I would be able to reliably distinguish the thumb drives, in a rigorous DBT, but I noticed a difference in sound with MPD playback when I moved to the Corsair drives.

For what it's worth, I am using AES/EBU output for playback into my DAC.

As always, YMMV...

That's perplexing. I've always used G-Drives (they're quiet on my rig), and have never thought drives could "sound" different (any more than cables "sound" different).  :scratch:

So, does your Corsair stick sound more neutral and transparent, and do you recommend it over the other drives? last thig I want is any coloration.  :evil:

Mag

« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2016, 02:59 am »
I describe the Corsair as 'warm & transparent pleasant sound' whereas the typical thumb drives sounds neutral & transparent.

As we know audiophiles haven't reached a consensus on what the term 'warm' means. :scratch:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:08 am »
I describe the Corsair as 'warm & transparent pleasant sound' whereas the typical thumb drives sounds neutral & transparent.

As we know audiophiles haven't reached a consensus on what the term 'warm' means. :scratch:

Thanks. I shall stick to my usual sticks (USB drives).  :green:

Warm: Good bass, adequate low frequencies, adequate fundamentals relative to harmonics. Not thin. Also excessive bass or midbass. Also, pleasantly spacious, with adequate reverberation at low frequencies.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary

Mag

« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:22 am »
That's a good definition of 'Warm'.

I'll add that its the difference in sound from my $70 cdn Sony cdp and my $1700 cdn Sony cdp. :smoke:

Krutsch

« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2016, 05:50 am »

So, does your Corsair stick sound more neutral and transparent, and do you recommend it over the other drives? last thig I want is any coloration.  :evil:

I am not suggesting that thumb drives sound different from one another; only an anecdotal observation vs. SSD and traditional USB HDD.

What I like about the Corsair flash/USB thumb drives is a.) their high capacity and b.) their performance - they are relatively fast with both USB 3.0 (for loading music) and USB 2.0 (playback in the BDP); especially the newer "GTX" models, which are SSD-like in performance.

But, I kid you not, these sticks restore the BDP magic in my system. I've never heard my head-fi rig sound this good.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2016, 11:12 am »
HI Krutsch

I am going to try one of those drives - thanks.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2016, 11:28 am »
I am not suggesting that thumb drives sound different from one another; only an anecdotal observation vs. SSD and traditional USB HDD.

What I like about the Corsair flash/USB thumb drives is a.) their high capacity and b.) their performance - they are relatively fast with both USB 3.0 (for loading music) and USB 2.0 (playback in the BDP); especially the newer "GTX" models, which are SSD-like in performance.

But, I kid you not, these sticks restore the BDP magic in my system. I've never heard my head-fi rig sound this good.

Nah, I don't believe it.  :green:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 21 Nov 2016, 11:55 am »
Nah, I don't believe it.  :green:

LOL   :icon_lol:- No I have an open approach to these kinds of things and usually try myself to see what I think.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 21 Nov 2016, 12:17 pm »
No worries. Do let us know what you hear (or don't hear...).  :tempted:

did you buy the 256GB version?  :green:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #29 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:39 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:49 pm »
No worries. Do let us know what you hear (or don't hear...).  :tempted:

did you buy the 256GB version?  :green:

I think so - it was around $100  :scratch:

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2016, 02:20 pm »
You know this is a strange hobby in that there is a tendency to take sides based on a particular belief or opinion.  But I have learned that you really have to be open minded about it.  So many times in the blind listening tests I have taken part in over the years I go in with a specific opinion and get proved wrong.

So  I know I am stepping on thin ice here and maybe even suicidal saying this but I have found thumb drives just seem to sound better as well.  I always use thumb drives at shows and I did that initially to highlight the sound as people would say ' that sounds terrific and ask me what source I was using".  I always got a look of disbelief when I would say "Thumb drive" .   So I was using thumb drives for marketing effect but then when I would switch to the larger rotary type drives I felt the sound lack some of the transient and clarity information I was hearing with the thumb drives.

I really have no explanation for this other than my antidotal experience but I have always gone with what draws me in emotionally to the sound. I just think there is a difference between rationalizing what you think technically and legitimately your response should be. Sometimes you just have to go with what you 'feel' is correct.

Anyway I will probably be drummed out of the "measurements are all that matter society"  and the "digits are digits club" but right or wrong without the emotionally attachment when I listen I tend not to listen and evaluate instead.

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #33 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:22 pm »
No worries James!
As long as you reach your verdict in a truly blind ABX test without any possible way of knowing what you are actually listening to I am with you.

zoom25

« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:52 pm »
James, I'd like to hear back from you on the thumb drives when you get them.

FWIW, this summer I tried 3 different portable hard drives along with 5 thumb drives. I found my WD portable hard drive to actually sound the best and give the quietest background. Might repeat it sometime.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:59 pm »
Not as a concession or anything, but I will try a simple experiment. I have several folders of identical FLAC music, on a thumb drive and on a G-Tech pocket hard drive. Both attached to my BDP-1. I shall line up some tracks into a playlist, one after another, back-to-back, from the two "sources". Then play them back. I will listen with open ears and open mind. (Don't I always?  :green:)

Will get back here with my impressions, uncolored.

zoom25

« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2016, 04:05 pm »
Might as well do the WAV vs FLAC test if you haven't done that before.

Krutsch

« Reply #37 on: 21 Nov 2016, 04:32 pm »
Not as a concession or anything, but I will try a simple experiment. I have several folders of identical FLAC music, on a thumb drive and on a G-Tech pocket hard drive. Both attached to my BDP-1. I shall line up some tracks into a playlist, one after another, back-to-back, from the two "sources". Then play them back. I will listen with open ears and open mind. (Don't I always?  :green:)

Will get back here with my impressions, uncolored.

Cool. But make sure you disconnect the G-Tech drive before listening to the thumb drive. I know that makes it hard to switch back-and-forth quickly.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 21 Nov 2016, 05:06 pm »
Cool. But make sure you disconnect the G-Tech drive before listening to the thumb drive. I know that makes it hard to switch back-and-forth quickly.

All my drives are plugged into a powered hub, which then connects to one of the two USB-A jacks rear of BDP-1. Never need to disconnect any single drives, as their is no "crosstalk" or power-draw issues.

Also, I play back from a playlist, consisting of alternating FLAC files from the two drives. So:

Track-A G-drive
Track-A thumbie
Track-B G
Track-B thumbie
etc

cheers

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 21 Nov 2016, 05:09 pm »
Might as well do the WAV vs FLAC test if you haven't done that before.
Yes, done years ago. I prefer FLAC in my system (they sounded identical to my ears, so smaller file size wins...).