Should I upgrade? BDA-1 vs BDA-2

dgarratt

Should I upgrade? BDA-1 vs BDA-2
« on: 6 Jan 2015, 12:56 am »
Hi Guys,

I currently own the BDA-1 and love it, however I can buy a BDA-2 demo unit at a pretty good price from my local dealer at the moment..wondering if any of you directly compared the BDA-1 to the BDA-2? I don't care about DSD so i'm not particularly interested in the recently announced BDA-3.

How do the two differ SQ wise?

Thanks in advance!

spinner

Re: Should I upgrade? BDA-1 vs BDA-2
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2015, 01:01 am »
Hi Guys,

I currently own the BDA-1 and love it, however I can buy a BDA-2 demo unit at a pretty good price from my local dealer at the moment..wondering if any of you directly compared the BDA-1 to the BDA-2? I don't care about DSD so i'm not particularly interested in the recently announced BDA-3.

Thanks in advance!  Yes, good question. I would like a comparison too :thumb:

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2015, 01:33 am »
Use to own the BDA-1 a few yrs back with the BCD-1(just to compare the two).
Have had the BDA-2 for a yr at least.
With the BDA-2 and at time I still had the BDA-1 which has  a bit more output for some reason which was very noticeable.
The 2 sounds smoother if you will where the 1 seemed wired to party more.
Like anything took me a few weeks to get use to the 2,now I don't miss the 1,after all One is the loneliest number(Three Dog Night).
Liked them both but I wouldn't go back to the BDA-1 jus cuz I have the partner in crime to match,the BDP-2.

MttBsh

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2015, 02:58 am »
Use to own the BDA-1 a few yrs back with the BCD-1(just to compare the two).
Have had the BDA-2 for a yr at least.
With the BDA-2 and at time I still had the BDA-1 which has  a bit more output for some reason which was very noticeable.
The 2 sounds smoother if you will where the 1 seemed wired to party more.
Like anything took me a few weeks to get use to the 2,now I don't miss the 1,after all One is the loneliest number(Three Dog Night).
Liked them both but I wouldn't go back to the BDA-1 jus cuz I have the partner in crime to match,the BDP-2.

I'm not reading a compelling reason here to switch to the more expensive BDA-2. If you have the upgrade bug, maybe the $$s would be better spent on another component in your system.

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2015, 04:01 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance!

My impression of the BDA-1 was similar to the BDA-2. However, the BDA-1 has a slight softness in the bottom end, the BDA-2 was slightly more articulate. The BDA-2 also had a somewhat smoother mid-range which was mostly noticeable with female voice. The BDA-2 also seemed to have a somewhat more precise instrument positioning within an orchestra.

The BDA-1 does have a louder output because it's Cirrus DACs have a higher voltage output than the AKM DACs used in the BDA-2.

If you have no desire for an asynchronous USB input then I think it is not necessary to get the BDA-2. But, if you do think the moderate improvement in audio quality is reason enough, then go ahead and do it by all means. But if I owned a BDA-1 from new and the price of upgrade was something like 30% of the BDA-1 retail price, then I think I would have kept the BDA-1.

I own a BDA-2 from new and have considered the BDA-3 but it does cost significantly more and although it is DSD-capable, I think the count of "standard" S/PDIF inputs is too low and the count of HDMI inputs is too high. I can find plenty purposes for S/PDIF and but a few for HDMI.

I hope this helps!
Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2015, 04:14 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance!

My impression of the BDA-1 was similar to the BDA-2. However, the BDA-1 has a slight softness in the bottom end, the BDA-2 was slightly more articulate. The BDA-2 also had a somewhat smoother mid-range which was mostly noticeable with female voice. The BDA-2 also seemed to have a somewhat more precise instrument positioning within an orchestra.

The BDA-1 does have a louder output because it's Cirrus DACs have a higher voltage output than the AKM DACs used in the BDA-2.

If you have no desire for an asynchronous USB input then I think it is not necessary to get the BDA-2. But, if you do think the moderate improvement in audio quality is reason enough, then go ahead and do it by all means. But if I owned a BDA-1 from new and the price of upgrade was something like 30% of the BDA-1 retail price, then I think I would have kept the BDA-1.

I own a BDA-2 from new and have considered the BDA-3 but it does cost significantly more and although it is DSD-capable, I think the count of "standard" S/PDIF inputs is too low and the count of HDMI inputs is too high. I can find plenty purposes for S/PDIF and but a few for HDMI.

I hope this helps!
Cheers!
Antun

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:25 pm »

I hope this helps!
Cheers!
Antun

That was my first thought/reaction to the BDA-3.

After some reflection, my guess is that's why Bryston is keeping the BDA-2 in the line-up. I believe the only two ways to send DSD is USB or HDMI. Assuming the two DACs sound very similar/identical, there'd be no reason to get a BDA-3 over a BDA-2 if you did not want/need DSD. And if you did, you'd have a use for those HDMI ports.

Chicago

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:48 pm »
DGARRATT,
I realize your question is related a sound comparison but I am under the impression the main reason to upgrade to a BDA-2 is because it allows you to use the USB port for up to 24/192 resolution vs. 16/48 with the BDA-1.  If you buy into the concept that higher resolution will provide better sound, maybe that helps in your decision.

I would ask your dealer to let you take the BDA-2 home for a few days and you can let your ears be the judge.

Good Listening,
Mike

dgarratt

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2015, 10:08 pm »
Thanks everyone for your reply's and opinions. I'm not using USB as I connect my BDA-1 to my BDP via AES connection. That being the case it doesn't sound like it's worth throwing any money at this upgrade for the time being.

cheers-

OgOgilby

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2015, 01:30 am »
Only you can decide if the upgrade to the BDA-2 is worth it in your system. The best thing would be to see if a local dealer will lend you one for comparison.

That is what I did and I upgraded to the BDA-2.

-Greg

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2015, 06:17 pm »
Og, I chuckle every time I see a post from you. Grady Sutton would be proud.

(Folks, to see Og, check out W.C. Fields' film, The Bank Dick.)

Rich

OgOgilby

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2015, 09:51 pm »
You have done your homework Rich!  :thumb: BTW, I dropped one of the G's in Oggilby when I signed up  :duh:

WC Fields - "Og Oggilby... Sounds like a bubble in the bathtub..."

AG

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2017, 11:33 am »
We did a direct comparison with my friend by switching from BDA-1 to BDA-2 back and force. We both agreed that the 1 is louder, more open sounding, with closer-to-you  stage. BDA-2 sound more controlled, closed up, more distant, quieter, more precise/accurate, less distorted. But we are very picky here and the difference is not night and day
Hope this helps

AG
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2017, 05:12 pm by AG »

schmidtmike76

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2017, 06:50 pm »

I moved from the 2 into the 3 and found it more organic in sound.  It's smoother and IMO just a better performing unit.  I'm not talking miles but it does sound better to me.  I only use coax no usb or hdmi. 
I hope this helps!
Cheers!
Antun