Exotica 3's customized to the max

Big Red Machine

Re: Exotica 3's customized to the max
« Reply #100 on: 8 Nov 2014, 02:13 pm »
As much as I like AVA, have you thought about letting Jim borrow your DAC/pre/amp for his next show to show off his Exoticas?

Btw, I think the blue cushion goes well your TRL (he says with a lisp)!  :roll:

I called him yesterday to thank him for such wonderful speakers.  I did mention that compared to RMAF, my setup is bringing out a level of sound that I only thought possible in rooms like Von Schweikert and Focal at the show.  Pretty close to the VS room and in the same "family" of sound as the Focal (ease of delivery with a kick you in the balls result).  Redbook never sounded so good in my world, ever.  96/24 is sublime.

wldock

« Reply #101 on: 10 Nov 2014, 04:41 pm »
This is a full range speaker with puny 8 inch woofers, not giant 15 inch subwoofers.  Please..... :guns:

Still not a blasphemer!  :wink:
This is a full range speaker with puny 8 inch woofers, not giant 15 inch subwoofers.  Please..... :guns:
Still not a blasphemer!  :wink:

No way man...I bet your system is doing wonders for the lower syth bass, pipe organ, percussion, double bass, tuba, etc. Two 8's per side with 600W a side. With the servo controll I bet they kick like some 12's on the right tunes. Oh, you are playing low bass, LOL! The best of both worlds I guess. I'm sure other 2 ch/no sub purist will be envious when they hear the clean low bass they've been missing.

Amazing design choice. Congrats!!!

Are you still in MI? I'm from the area myself but reside in IN. You should really consider lending those to Jim to show at 2015 AXPONA!
Then see if XTC will send one of the copper Legacy SE racks with white shelves:

Would WOW, the masses!

However, I guess Jim does not wat to go through another on of these builds again.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #102 on: 12 Nov 2014, 11:37 pm »
Wanted to throw in a few pics with the grills on and the nameplates attached to inside surfaces:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #103 on: 13 Nov 2014, 01:34 am »
Not sure where to start.  Have not come to the realization that they are really my speakers.  Sure, they're sitting in my house, but they are surreal.  Huge kudos to the team for putting up with my request and having to work way outside the standard process flow.

Took a quick shot of the team on Friday posing with the speakers.  Missing is Robert, who left early for Halloween activities.

Luis, Jim, Mary, Tim, and Mac.  Thank you guys!!  Appreciate all your craftsmanship and friendly service!!!

Just wanted to say I thought this was very cool of you to post a pic of the people behind the scenes there at Salk. I think they deserve some good recognition from time to time for all the exceptional craftsmanship they do!

Great job Team Salk!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #104 on: 13 Nov 2014, 08:41 pm »

Are you still in MI? I'm from the area myself but reside in IN. You should really consider lending those to Jim to show at 2015 AXPONA!
Then see if XTC will send one of the copper Legacy SE racks with white shelves:

However, I guess Jim does not wat to go through another on of these builds again.

I am willing to let Jim use my speakers for any purpose he sees fit.  But, I don't think he wants to be in the business of building speakers like this regularly.  It was a pita to pull off. :duh:

You should shoot up for a listen.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #105 on: 13 Nov 2014, 09:02 pm »
Really like the side view and with the grills on!!! :thumb:

Do you plan to continue using the Dude preamp or do you have something else in mind?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #106 on: 13 Nov 2014, 09:43 pm »
Really like the side view and with the grills on!!! :thumb:

Do you plan to continue using the Dude preamp or do you have something else in mind?

Lack of remote control is wearing on me, but the damn preamp is so awesome.  I am considering many options including a Bent or perhaps a dac that acts like a preamp (although many who do this miss the preamp in the chain).  But I'll tell you what, it sounds mighty fine.  Now if I can swing some High Fidelity cables to try....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #107 on: 13 Nov 2014, 09:52 pm »
Lack of remote control is wearing on me, but the damn preamp is so awesome.  I am considering many options including a Bent or perhaps a dac that acts like a preamp (although many who do this miss the preamp in the chain).  But I'll tell you what, it sounds mighty fine.  Now if I can swing some High Fidelity cables to try....
Are your amps fully balanced? 

yetis

« Reply #108 on: 13 Nov 2014, 10:34 pm »
So, I see in the picture, you have the E3's next to the E3 Special Editions (aka Big Red's ).   Did the guys at Salk plug in the SE's and do a side by side?  Would be interested to know how different they are from the standard E3's.

Thanks

Big Red Machine

« Reply #109 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:14 am »
Are your amps fully balanced?

I think they are as they only have balanced inputs.  Work great single ended though.  If the Bent were better I would definitely get a balanced version.  Don't like that you can only get the gold case and not the black or some other color.  I actually think a solid state EC pre might also be a good choice.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #110 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:16 am »
So, I see in the picture, you have the E3's next to the E3 Special Editions (aka Big Red's ).   Did the guys at Salk plug in the SE's and do a side by side?  Would be interested to know how different they are from the standard E3's.

Thanks

Don't know if they did.  I doubt it.  But I'm sure mine sound better. :wink:

sfox7076

« Reply #111 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:54 am »
Please.  Mine are in Brooklyn. Everything in NY is better.  Thus, mine rule the roost. 

wldock

« Reply #112 on: 16 Nov 2014, 09:27 pm »
You should shoot up for a listen.

Well, I'm 2 Hours away from Kalamazoo so I might have to take you up on that. My listen the Exotica's was brief at the show.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #113 on: 17 Nov 2014, 12:31 am »
Well, I'm 2 Hours away from Kalamazoo so I might have to take you up on that. My listen the Exotica's was brief at the show.

I'm up for it.

wldock

« Reply #114 on: 17 Nov 2014, 12:53 am »
Well cool then, lets figure that out at some point.

Oh, and Jim put a picture of them on the site. So......

Nuance

« Reply #115 on: 20 Nov 2014, 12:40 am »
Congrats, Pete!  I am glad to see things have really come together nicely.  Enjoy your amazing setup!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #116 on: 21 Nov 2014, 03:13 am »
Awesome speakers, Pete. Congratulations!!  :thumb:

Back in 1986 I saw Elton John at the Universal Amphitheatre. The finish on his Steinway Grand is exactly the same finish you have on those speakers; pure white. Throughout the concert, they changed the color of the piano with lights. It was awesome; bright green, yellow, purple, white, even blue. Can you imagine? Blue!!!  :lol:

If I had your speakers, and I wish I did, proper speaker lighting would be one of my listening room goals.

Check out this Elton clip from 1986:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrmHo9DdZgk

Have fun,

Jerry

TomS

« Reply #117 on: 21 Nov 2014, 02:05 pm »
http://lifx.co/

Here ya go Pete, any color you want for your moods, and yes, blue!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #118 on: 22 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm »
Very cool guys, thanks.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #119 on: 29 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm »
Am now using Acoustic Zen Hologram speaker cables, Matrix Reference II IC's, and Acoustic Zen Silver Matrix II XLR cables.  Huge positive impact to the sound.  These cables produce a deep body and soul.  Always wanted to try a complete set of one brand of cables and am glad I did.