Show coverage day 1

Pez

Re: Show coverage day 1
« Reply #40 on: 14 Oct 2011, 11:40 pm »
Von schweikert/purity

This room is amazing. Simply put this room is the best i have heard from either of these companies. VS and the Purity McAlster combo is masterfully matched. Really this is very pleasant to listen to. Dynamic and more confident than th dynaudio confidence. :P we are listening to Stevie ray tin pan alley.

Now the sibelius... A touch shouty on the violin. But once we turned it down not a problem. The room was being overloaded. Not quite as sweet and wonderful on the violin as the Condidence room.

Difranco is my reference for imaging and soundstaging. This room does both deftly. I think the basic impression I have is that these are not the most detailed speaker but does not make you miss anything terribly. Great depth.

Mahler- a little bombastic and out of control again in dynamic passages. I don't think the OTLs can handle it. Personally.

Tool- same problem. They just wuss out dynamically when pushed. I think the VSs are outclassing the amps.  :? At lower volume
levels it's very nice, but not consistent at higher SPLs.

Edit: Please see Bill Bakers post here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99214.msg1002486#msg1002486 We will be stopping by this room again tomorrow.  :)
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 05:21 am by Pez »

mr_bill

« Reply #41 on: 14 Oct 2011, 11:53 pm »
What model Von Schwiekert and how much do they cost?

Pez

« Reply #42 on: 14 Oct 2011, 11:55 pm »
Sonist/DeHavilland/Cary

Ok this room has scotch you can purchase. And we're 'press' = free scotch. So everything I am about to write is tainted by that fact.  :thumb:

Sibelius sounds very sweet and pretty damn.... Ah hell it's so loud in here. I can't tell wtf I'm hearing.  :lol: scotch and audiophiles means BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!

Ani difranco is sounding pretty decent. A touch sibilant at times. Changed chairs sibilance is gone. Not the most focused sound stage but not bad. Not nearly as detailed. Did I mention a bunch of dudes are drinking scotch and talking loudly? That is not supposed to be in the track.  :scratch: fun none the less.  :lol:

Tyson - I solved the problem of the noisy talkers by turning the volume way up!  Actually, this was a hard room to like - the speakers were quite sibilant off axis, but tonally better on-axis. I thought the highs were overall too prominent, the upper mids were recessed, and the vocal region was too chesty sounding.  However, the scotch was very good...
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 06:48 am by Pez »

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #43 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:00 am »
Great coverage guys!  The next scotch is on me... :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #44 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:05 am »
OK, now with the laptop at home I can see the pics, super great!!!

Pez

« Reply #45 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:08 am »
MA Recordings

As always this setup is awesome. The speakers are different this year for the first time that I can remember.  Davone Rays. They are hooked up to the absoluta intgrated amp.
 The sound is better than last year IMO which was very good.  These are in the same class as the fritz speakers sonically. Though I will give the nod to fritz for sure. Aesthetically they are.... Ummm... Ya.
Any way the music is to buy and I'm going to buy some so suffice it to say this room is one of my favs again.  :lol:

Also met Steve Guttenberg with Cnet Audiophiliac. What a great guy! gave me some suggestions on what to buy from MA and we had a great conversation. Steve if you're reading this, I can't wait to see your coverage!  :thumb:

Tyson - Every year I friggin' LOVE this room.  It's a musical oasis in a sea of hype.  Every year, its not the most "impressive" room, but it's always the room I want to spend the most time in.  Vendor of the year?  How about vendor of the decade!
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2011, 06:30 pm by Pez »

Kinger

« Reply #46 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:13 am »
Absolutely fantastic coverage guys.  Thanks so much for sharing with the rest of the AC community.  Almost feels like being there........well minus getting to actually hear this stuff :)

shadowlight

« Reply #47 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:16 am »

mfsoa

« Reply #48 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:21 am »
Von schweikert/purity

No Digital Amp Co. amps in the pic  :(

Wonder if they'll get used...

shadowlight

« Reply #49 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:23 am »
No Digital Amp Co. amps in the pic  :(

Wonder if they'll get used...

I see something black that looks like the DAC amp in the second picture all the way in the back.

Pez

« Reply #50 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:31 am »
Zu

The overall sound is best described as heavy. Though not offensive. They are running vinyl and I have to say this is the first time I haven't run screaming from the Zu audio room.

Not very detail oriented speakers. They throw a pretty decent soundstage and image. A touch sibilant just like I've always felt about the Zu line. Overall ok.

Tyson - Wow, a zu room that didn't sound bright.  I actually liked this room a lot.  I tend to like a bit of a darker sound than Pez does, and I agree that this room was clearly on the warm side of the scale.  But I also thought that it had a really great sound, big and bold.  And, c'mon - cronzilla amps!!!!  They also let us in to listen, even though the show was already over for the day, major kudos there.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 06:56 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #51 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:36 am »
Cessaro

All I can say is LOUD.  :o :o :o Cannot evaluate beyond that. Sorry

Tyson - If I am being nice, then I say that the speakers were just too loud and were overloading the room.  If I'm not being nice, then I say they actually hurt my ears.  Left this room quick. 
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 06:58 am by Pez »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #52 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:38 am »
Pez-  When you can, what Ani DiFranco CD are you using?  Thanks.

Pez

« Reply #53 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:46 am »
And that is the end for today.   :)

maybe some low Rez drunken bar posts later.  :thumb:

pardales

« Reply #54 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:50 am »
Great stuff!  :thumb: Now go get your ears rested up for tomorrow.

Lyndon

« Reply #55 on: 15 Oct 2011, 01:13 am »
Pez,
Thank you for your good coverage and effort!
Much appreciated!
Lyndon
Salt Lake City

Pez

« Reply #56 on: 15 Oct 2011, 02:04 am »
To everyone thanking us for the coverage we are so glad you are enjoying it. We are having the time of our lives!

As promised here's a semi drunken picture of us at 3 Margaritas!!!!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #57 on: 15 Oct 2011, 02:22 am »
Great stuff Pez/Tyson !  :thumb:  Thanks for all the pics & thoughts, appreciate your efforts on our behalf.   8)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #58 on: 15 Oct 2011, 02:47 am »
Great stuff Pez/Tyson !  :thumb:  Thanks for all the pics & thoughts, appreciate your efforts on our behalf.   8)
+1!!!   :green:

doug s.

KJ

« Reply #59 on: 15 Oct 2011, 02:59 am »
Quote from: mr_bill
What model Von Schwiekert and how much do they cost?

Albert mentioned $17K for the passive VR-44 in standard finishes, and $20K for the active VR-44 in standard finishes.