The TRL Dude is in the house!

jackman

Re: The TRL Dude is in the house!
« Reply #180 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:53 pm »
As long as the equipment is as advertised, it doesn't matter one bit why the guy is selling.

People get so hung up on why another person is selling something because they lack confidence in their choices and/or have a "herd like" mentality.  At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is your own!!

George

This is true George.  I hate when people say "selling my beloved..." whatever.  I only care about the condition of the product, price and reputation of the seller.  If he found something he liked better, it means nothing to me. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #181 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:28 pm »
The strangest thing, IMO, is the fact that these TUBE RESEARCH LABS amplifiers are Solid State. 

Paul is a tube guy. 

The Samson was built for people that didn't want expensive tube equipment but needed high power.  The Samson was also built from a project that Paul did in a totaly different area.  The Samson, GT-160 (new tube amps) and Dude are direct only.  The GT pre and other tube amps are all dealer only. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #182 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:31 pm »
As long as the equipment is as advertised, it doesn't matter one bit why the guy is selling.

People get so hung up on why another person is selling something because they lack confidence in their choices and/or have a "herd like" mentality.  At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is your own!!

George
+2!  which is why i find it irksome to see someone obviously trying to pander to that herd-like mentality.  on more than one occasion, i have told potential buyers i was selling cuz i thought the gear sucked.  (can anyone say mcintosh s/s tuner?)   :lol:

doug s.

grannyring

« Reply #183 on: 25 Nov 2011, 04:07 pm »
I owned the Samson amps and loved them. Needed more power for my Soundlab speakers otherwise I would still have them.

Glad to read about other Dude owners and how they are enjoying their preamp. I use smoked glass RCA 6sn7's in mine and like the bloom and warmth they offer.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #184 on: 28 Nov 2011, 01:48 am »
I owned the Samson amps and loved them. Needed more power for my Soundlab speakers otherwise I would still have them.
What did you get instead?

Glad to read about other Dude owners and how they are enjoying their preamp. I use smoked glass RCA 6sn7's in mine and like the bloom and warmth they offer.
You still have the Dude?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #185 on: 3 Dec 2011, 01:31 am »
Has anyone else received their Dude?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #186 on: 3 Dec 2011, 11:12 am »
I like this fellows comments about the Dude over on Audiogon because he has owned higher end gear than I would ever own.

"Review: Tube Research TRL Dude Tube preamp
I have been involved with Audio equipment since 6th grade. Built Altec Voice of Theaters from kits, Dynaco's, Harmon Kardon, Eico and numerous other projects. Owned a Audio store for 40 years and still running. I have owned numerous high quality pre-amps; ARC, CJ, Jadis, VTL,CAT, MFA-Lumi, Hovland, Lamm and others. I purchased a Dude from Audiogon a few months ago.I think I'm still in shock; this pre-amp hands down is more enjoyable to listen to than anything I have owned. I always liked octal based pre-amps and now I'm convinced a 9 pin cannot pull this off. I have numerous speakers that never sounded so musical; Quad ESL-57, Magnepan 3.6, Duo's, Wilson Watt/Puppy 7. This product will become a classic; a steal right now.
Bdpack 12-02-11"

"

Rx8man

« Reply #187 on: 6 Dec 2011, 01:44 am »
I've had my Dude (2nd generation I call it) for a couple years now, it's the one in the link provided by:
« Reply #79 on: 5 Nov 2011, 10:03 PM »

Out of all the preamps I've heard/owned it really outclasses them by a long shot.

Besides the March rave, I listened to it in six different systems (dealers included) and it faired the same way every time, quite an accomplishment.

Paul's design is very robust, dependable and effective (happy end user!)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #188 on: 12 Dec 2011, 12:46 am »
I've had my Dude (2nd generation I call it) for a couple years now, it's the one in the link provided by:

Out of all the preamps I've heard/owned it really outclasses them by a long shot.

Besides the March rave, I listened to it in six different systems (dealers included) and it faired the same way every time, quite an accomplishment.

Great to hear! 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #189 on: 12 Dec 2011, 12:47 am »
I now have Herbies Rx Tube Dampers on all 5 tubes.  I've also placed Iso Cup with Black Lampballs under the unit.   :thumb:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #190 on: 12 Dec 2011, 01:00 am »

Can you share what the tube dampers did for the preamp? I know what I heard when I added them to a power amp but will wait to see what you hear first as I don't want to screw your results.

Rocket_Ronny

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #191 on: 12 Dec 2011, 01:11 am »
Can you share what the tube dampers did for the preamp? I know what I heard when I added them to a power amp but will wait to see what you hear first as I don't want to screw your results.

Rocket_Ronny

I'm going to say slightly cleaner / quieter.  I think the Iso Cup's had a larger effect as the shelf has granite slabs that are then isolated from the shelf then the Iso Cups. 

A few guys with Dudes are using ERS Stillpoints but I refuse to spend that much money on footers.   :duh:

Old timer

« Reply #192 on: 12 Dec 2011, 03:57 am »
For what it is worth;  Those using Stillpoints may want to try using the $26 HRS Nimbus Disc in between. I found that this removed the mid-range glare that I'd noticed using the Stillpoints by themselves.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #193 on: 12 Dec 2011, 12:31 pm »
For what it is worth;  Those using Stillpoints may want to try using the $26 HRS Nimbus Disc in between. I found that this removed the mid-range glare that I'd noticed using the Stillpoints by themselves.
Is this on a Dude?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #194 on: 12 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm »

I loaned out my Dude to an Audiogoner near me who has a Coincident Statement Linestage and wanted to compare the two preamps.  Here is what he had to say about the two:

"12-09-11: Charles1dad
Ojdetos,
Thanks very much for your comments, I appreciate them.

Morganc,
I just had the chance to listen to the TRL Dude linestage in my system 2 nights ago.Gon member bugredmachine(pete) was kind enough to lend me his.
I can understand the high praise and feedback concerning the Dude it`s exceptional and will outperform many preamps on the market. It has a big,dynamic authoratative sound that`s musical and compelling, impressive!

The similarities with my CSL are large scale presence and dynamics,full bodied tone and natural sound and no clinical-sterile character at all.
The Dude may have a bit more bass impact and weight(both preamps have plenty!). The CSL a bit more bass articulation and texture contast.
There`s probably some same brand synergy involved that favors the CSL. In my system the CSL is more transparent and open with more air,nuance and inner detail(the Dude has these qualities also but to a slightly lesser degree).
I just think the CSL has a lower noise floor.

The Dude has a wonderful bold and strong presentation and I`d say the CSL is certainly as dynamic(both are stellar in this area) but is subtly more refined-sophisticated in character.
The truth is both are superior preamps and I honestly think preference will come down to individual system voicing and matching.
The standout feature of the CSL is it`s unmatched (IMO)transperency(it totally disappears) and sheer organic purity.

Again(system synergy) it`s just the 'perfect' match with the FrankensteinMKII amplifier.
Best Regards,
Charles
Charles1dad  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #195 on: 12 Dec 2011, 05:00 pm »
I loaned out my Dude to an Audiogoner near me who has a Coincident Statement Linestage and wanted to compare the two preamps.  Here is what he had to say about the two:

"12-09-11: Charles1dad
Ojdetos,
Thanks very much for your comments, I appreciate them.

Morganc,
I just had the chance to listen to the TRL Dude linestage in my system 2 nights ago.Gon member bugredmachine(pete) was kind enough to lend me his.
I can understand the high praise and feedback concerning the Dude it`s exceptional and will outperform many preamps on the market. It has a big,dynamic authoratative sound that`s musical and compelling, impressive!

The similarities with my CSL are large scale presence and dynamics,full bodied tone and natural sound and no clinical-sterile character at all.
The Dude may have a bit more bass impact and weight(both preamps have plenty!). The CSL a bit more bass articulation and texture contast.
There`s probably some same brand synergy involved that favors the CSL. In my system the CSL is more transparent and open with more air,nuance and inner detail(the Dude has these qualities also but to a slightly lesser degree).
I just think the CSL has a lower noise floor.

The Dude has a wonderful bold and strong presentation and I`d say the CSL is certainly as dynamic(both are stellar in this area) but is subtly more refined-sophisticated in character.
The truth is both are superior preamps and I honestly think preference will come down to individual system voicing and matching.
The standout feature of the CSL is it`s unmatched (IMO)transperency(it totally disappears) and sheer organic purity.

Again(system synergy) it`s just the 'perfect' match with the FrankensteinMKII amplifier.
Best Regards,
Charles
Charles1dad  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)"
Very nice.  I looked at the Coincident Statement too.  Great piece but no remote option.  :(

Big Red Machine

« Reply #196 on: 12 Dec 2011, 05:05 pm »
Yeah,Charles is a true gentleman and an audiophool like the rest of us.  He was very grateful to get this chance to audition the Dude in his system. 

cheap-Jack

« Reply #197 on: 12 Dec 2011, 06:45 pm »
Hi.
I now have Herbies Rx Tube Dampers on all 5 tubes.
Hope those "the world's finest tube dampers" would not cost a fortune to own.

FYI, I've DIYed the dampers for the 50-year old Telefunken ECC83s in my super upgraded Dynaco PAS-2 phonostage next to no cost, & they work wonders.

Tube damping is good SOMEtimes but should never overDAMP the tubes. Otherwise the music will sound very dull & lost its brilliance & vitality.

I made the tube ring dampers by cutting the ring to the size of the tube body from a $1 PC mouse pad & 'wrapped' it tightly down the tube body. To prevent the tube heat melting down the rubber pad ring, I wrapped a few rounds of teflon plumber sealing tape ($1 a roll from any hardware stores)
on the tube body before I 'wrappd' the rubber ring down the tube body.

Tuning the tube damper is a must to ensure the music will not be overdamped. This applies to DIYs or very expensive brandnames. In my case, I found the rubber ring slowed down the music bigtime. Finally I had to take out the rubber ring damper & leave the teflon plumber tape on the tube body. Now the music sounds just right without ringing.

I don't think I need to spend big bucks to buy any brandname tube dampers as I know the business too well. Not many vendors can get my money.

c-J

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #198 on: 12 Dec 2011, 07:03 pm »
Not many vendors can get my money.
I got that by your moniker.   :P

Yes, I've tried rubber o-rings before...

cheap-Jack

« Reply #199 on: 13 Dec 2011, 12:52 am »
I got that by your moniker.   :P
Yes, I've tried rubber o-rings before...
Yup, one can enjoy this otherwise pretty expensive hobby affordably if one knows how audio electronics work. Knowing too little about electronics will easily fall into the traps of sales pitches.

Read more to learn more & spend more time on music listening. It will help one from spending too much unneccessarily on this hobby.

c-J