Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

morganc

« Reply #460 on: 19 Feb 2011, 08:43 am »
The Omens are definite keepers in my book.   And the in home demo is a great option and takes all the pressure off of the purchase.   I find this better than buying locally, because the local dealers are not going to give you 60 days to determine if their product suits your tastes.

You should be warned though, that the Omens are quite sensitive to amplifocation and upstream components.  That can be a great thing or it could lead to addicting behaviour of endless upgrades, because you will easily be able to hear the fruits of your upgrades.   

Poultrygeist

« Reply #461 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:03 pm »
I wasted years and money on inefficient speakers and power trip amps before discovering the magic of HE full range drivers and low powered tube amps. Can't see myself ever returning to conventional speakers with sound robbing crossovers.

My venture into full range sound includes the Omens, 4.5 Tektons, 8" Tang Band Open Baffles, Betsy Open Baffles, Dayton Pipes and I'm currently building the new Frugal Horn Mk3 ( back loaded horns ). I have the drivers for the Nelson Pass BOFU TL but that build is in the future. I hope to eventually try every application of the full range driver and so far none have disappointed.

PhishPhan

« Reply #462 on: 19 Feb 2011, 02:30 pm »
I had a pair of Tyler Acoustic Taylos for several years before I upgraded to the ZU Druid MK4. Both are lovely speakers, but the Zu sound really draws me into the music in a way that the Taylos never could. Both were powered with the same 80-watt class A amp. The dynamics, punch and scale of sound are unmatched in the Druid...I'm not sure how it compares to the Omen, but I'm sure they're quite similar.

yukiginger

« Reply #463 on: 20 Feb 2011, 12:00 am »
Very helpful replies - thank you. Sounds like I need to make the purchase and find out for myself. I'll be sure to post my impressions.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #464 on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:24 pm »
A friend has a pair of Omens and we "amp rolled" last night; went from an Almarro 318 integrated to a pair of Manley Mahi Mahis (in triode) with a Cary SLP-98 preamp. 

Very different, of course, but my point in reporting here is that the Omens reflected these downstream changes readily, suggesting that they're pretty darned transparent. 

Dynamic with plenty of detail, and driven easily by amps with modest power.  In my opinion, the Omens are a fun, lively speaker that is well worth the price. 

RCduck7

« Reply #465 on: 20 Feb 2011, 06:06 pm »
I wasted years and money on inefficient speakers and power trip amps before discovering the magic of HE full range drivers and low powered tube amps. Can't see myself ever returning to conventional speakers with sound robbing crossovers.

I wonder how Zu's or Tektons would compare to my Hyperion HPS938 speakers (they got very good reviews on 6moons, enjoy the music, etc...).
I also have an intrest in magneplanar speakers.
If anyone had any experience with Hyperion speakers and full range driver speakers let me know.

naggots

« Reply #466 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:11 pm »
How did the Mahis sound?

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #467 on: 20 Feb 2011, 08:24 pm »
How did the Mahis sound?
As you might expect, really different presentation than the Almarro.  I found the Mahis to be much more of an "audiophile experience", if that makes any sense, well balanced, neutral, tight imaging... great amps.  In contrast, the Almarro has a saturated mid-range that really appeals to some. 

For me, it kind of depends on my mood...

Gopher

« Reply #468 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:17 am »
Anyone looking for inexpensive amplification to drive their new Zus should consider Redgum audio's integrated amps.  I'm borrowing Sunnydaze's RGi120 right now and is a really incredible match with Zu speakers.  Runs cool, standard component size, cool appearance and stunning sound.

I like this better than any solid state amplification I've heard with my Superflys to date--this includes First Watt F1, F1J, Pass Alephs, Virtue TWO.2  and a Panasonic digital receiver.  Really, really good sound.  My primary amplification solution is a pair of 845 SET monoblocks driven by a Shindo Auerieges-L preamplifier and this one box integrated is good enough that I'm not missing it (its been down for a couple weeks as I await new Pavane 845-T power tubes to replace blown 845Bs).

I'm trying to buy the 35 watt version on audiogon now for a summer/backup amp...  I don't even need another amp but want it in my stable--highly recommended!

Bugs

« Reply #469 on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:37 am »
I've had my Omens about ten days now and have been running them during the day while I'm at work for break in.  I came home tonight and heard a static crackly type noise out of one of the speakers.  I switched cables and the noise staid with the same speaker.  After getting down close to the speaker and listening it sounds like one of the tweeters is operating intermitently.

I'll give Zu a call in the AM, but anybody have an idea on how to diagnose this?  It could be a loose wire but I'm reluctant to open the speaker up without talking to Zu first.

Besides the crackle, they are sounding better and better.

Bugs

« Reply #470 on: 4 Mar 2011, 04:00 am »
I spoke with Zu today and they said to go ahead and look inside the cabinet.  Turns out is was a loose wire to the super tweeter.  All is well.

Bugs

« Reply #471 on: 4 Mar 2011, 05:55 am »
Amen to that brother :D :D

Bugs

« Reply #472 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:04 am »
Izman

I'm jealous over your 318B.  I have the little 205A MkII and would love to have her big brother.  Your system must sound pretty nice.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #473 on: 9 Mar 2011, 12:02 pm »
Can you still purchase a pair of Omens for $999?

sebrof

« Reply #474 on: 9 Mar 2011, 01:02 pm »
Can you still purchase a pair of Omens for $999?
On Zu's website and at Music Direct the listed price is now $1500.
If I were in the market for a pair I would call Zu and ask. I heard that at one time they listed $1500 but would sell @ $1000 if you asked, but that was when MD was selling for $1000.

At $1500 I think it puts the Omens out of the Cheap category. From what Zman is saying about his Tekton Lores I'd say that would be a good way to go for under a grand ($850).

morganc

« Reply #475 on: 9 Mar 2011, 04:03 pm »
You can also call Zu about B Stock and returned items.   There is a pair of Superfly's for sale B stock now for $1800.   Not cheap, but a very good deal.  They may have Omens also. 

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #476 on: 10 Mar 2011, 04:31 pm »
Who in their right mind would pay $1500 for a speaker when MANY have purchased the same speaker for $999, especially in this economy?  I have always wanted to try full-range drivers and I LOVE the look of the Sangria Red.  I just can't bring myself to pay $1500 when I know others purchased it for less and I don't think I should have to call a company and ask them to sell it to me for the price they have sold it to so many others for...........just sayin'

ALSO.... I don't think you should pay for an item 4-6 weeks before it is shipped.  A special order, sure, but not a stock product.  It reminds me of another speaker company that is no more and that scares the crap out of me.

djbnh

« Reply #477 on: 10 Mar 2011, 05:11 pm »
Who in their right mind would pay $1500 for a speaker when MANY have purchased the same speaker for $999, especially in this economy?  I have always wanted to try full-range drivers and I LOVE the look of the Sangria Red.  I just can't bring myself to pay $1500 when I know others purchased it for less and I don't think I should have to call a company and ask them to sell it to me for the price they have sold it to so many others for...........just sayin'

ALSO.... I don't think you should pay for an item 4-6 weeks before it is shipped.  A special order, sure, but not a stock product.  It reminds me of another speaker company that is no more and that scares the crap out of me.
It may be a reasonable view that a company has the right to run a sale whenever it wants to do so, and it assumes the risks of gaining and losing customers by doing so. For instance, those consumers who purchased speakers during Zu's Black Friday Sale gambled that the relatively untested and unreported upon products would be worthwhile; those customers assumed some risk and were rewarded for taking that risk by receiving a great price. I'm in that camp with my purchase of a pair of Omen Definitions for a price that I cannot touch now.

Here's an analogy: I wish I bought gobs of Google stock years ago before it took off, but think it would not be fruitful to bemoan that I didn't step up and put my $ out there on the unknown. I chose to be risk adverse, no one forced me one way or the other. Google doesn't owe me anything, nor do the savvy investors that gambled on Google and were rewarded on taking a risk. Same sort of thing happens all the time in life in relationships (still glad I asked my wife to marry me!), financial areas, audio, etc.

As for prepayment - I feel this happens all the time, too (concert tickets, other audio shops, etc). One can elect to make the purchase via CC at the beginning of the billing cycle to minimize the gap between payment and date you receive the speakers. Zu Audio has the right to make their money, it's doubtful that the current interest rates on $1,500 for a month is making them (or you) rich, nor is their free shipping and 60 day no-question return policies respectively. They are a relatively small outfit with seemingly quite a few satisfied customers.

sebrof

« Reply #478 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:25 pm »
I don't know, lots of stuff goes on off sale. And Zu launched the Omen for $1500 with an intro price of $999. If it's worth $1500 then it's worth $1500, which I'm not sure it's the best considering some of the competition. But I love my Omens.

Sam-fi

« Reply #479 on: 11 Mar 2011, 03:19 pm »
Anyone want to throw in a recommendation for a cdp that matches well to a Zu + tube amp combo?