B&W P7 Mobile headphones announced

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
B&W P7 Mobile headphones announced
« on: 17 Sep 2013, 06:31 pm »
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P7/explore.html

I hope this is a definite improvement over the P5 which i didn't like.

dB Cooper

Re: B&W P7 Mobile headphones announced
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2013, 10:55 pm »
I didn't either, but I wonder if it was for the same reason. In my case it was because I felt the clamping force was both excessive and uneven. (Noticeably higher on the back of the pad which felt weird.) Didn't object to the sound. However, as I lack rectangular ears, I'll probably not be looking very hard at these either.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2013, 03:50 pm »
I have only heard the P5, I know they also have a P3. I did not like the P5 due partly to its lack of clarity muted top end. The bottom end just get’s in the way of everything else.

I don’t know is it just me or are most headphones these days just aiming for blotted unrealistic bass?

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2013, 07:52 pm »
No it is not just you. Boom-car bass is "in". One reason I bought a set of HD650's recently "while I still could"".

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2013, 04:52 pm »
I didn't either, but I wonder if it was for the same reason. In my case it was because I felt the clamping force was both excessive and uneven. (Noticeably higher on the back of the pad which felt weird.) Didn't object to the sound. However, as I lack rectangular ears, I'll probably not be looking very hard at these either.

Comfort was ok for me, but sound wise not what i expected from headphones on it's price range.

Bass lacks of punch and definition, something that ruins the musical enjoyment.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2013, 03:18 am »
I was underwhelmed by the B&O H6. Great mids but the bottom end lacked weight IMO. Highs, something bothered me but I'd have to listen longer to verbalize it.

FireGuy

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2013, 08:37 am »
I've heard B&W's  Diamond speaker line against a "lesser" competition...and lost.  But higher priced gear must always sound better right?  So these phones don't surprise me they seem to be under achieving.  Fit and finish however is tops.

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2013, 02:45 pm »
But higher priced gear must always sound better right?

No not always true, have you tried the Altrasone Edition 8 and 10?

They are both expensive but the Edition 10 cost a lot more than the 8, the Edition 10 at £1000 more than the 8 was un-listenable. So people are paying £1000 more just to get a poor quality headphone, so they can say I have top of the line headphones. :scratch:

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2013, 02:59 pm »
But some headphones are gold and worth every penny.  If you want my Beyer T1's you have to get past my Glock model 22 first.

zerodeefex

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2013, 03:10 pm »
The P5 was significantly outclassed by KEF and Sennheiser's efforts in this segment. I'm hoping this P7 is a better can.

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2013, 04:28 pm »
Yes love the T1 8)

custom-cable

• Industry Participant
    • Custom Cable
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2013, 09:02 am »
The P7 is a very good headphone and outclasses the P5 in every way. Much more open in the midrange and treble. Bass is not as cloudy as with the P5 and I feel it has more grandeur than the M500.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2013, 06:50 pm »
This is taken from the B&W p7's page:

With P7, we have created a headphone driver that works more like the drive unit in a hi-fi speaker, with a diaphragm focussed purely on the job it’s supposed to do: generate sound.

Aren't the drivers supposed to do that?  :|

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2013, 02:23 am »
Perhaps they were trying to allude to the fact that typical headphone drivers don't have "spiders" or surrounds like speakers do. (Do these?) Bet the language used came right from the marketing dept.

None of the B&W models so far will win any comfort contests IMJ, so my interest is in passing only.