Help an old dog audiophile learn some new tricks (with an $850 budget)

adydula

• Restricted
I actually have a set of the M50's....and like them and was amazed for the price, but after moving to other cans, they dont get much use anymore...except for gaming on a pc.

The bass is just too boomy for me for any critical listening.

Other cans although they cost more are really much better in the accuracy of the bass and the overall impact and presentation.

That said I have sold many of my cans....but still have these price performers.

If $100 was you budget these would be in the running in this area for sure.

Alex

dBel84

my take on this is that you had your sound nailed down in your opening post.

HD600 - Bottle Head crack. This is a great combination for the tube lover who likes that inner detail. I am sure you could find both second hand and end up with some change. If you want cheap but good interconnects - look at the Schiit cables , they are just that. This humble system can stand its ground in multi thousand dollar environments.

..dB

roscoeiii

Only preproduction impressions are available thus far, but lots of buzz over Alpha Dog headphones on Headfi. From Mr Speakers with 3D printed cups. Lots of raves from experienced Headfiers

brother love

Only preproduction impressions are available thus far, but lots of buzz over Alpha Dog headphones on Headfi. From Mr Speakers with 3D printed cups. Lots of raves from experienced Headfiers

I have decided that in my soon to be new environment (1,130  ft2 condo), the closed headphone route is the direction I want to go.  The Alpha Dogs are neutral, reference quality closed cans that sound like open cans per head-fi reviewers (primary contributor Jude, beta testers, & some recent headphone show auditions).  Pre-orders now available w/ end of Sept. delivery I believe.  I may wait for 2nd batch in order that any bugs are worked out.

That eats up $600 of my $850 budget, so I have approx. $250 to buy a used/ new headphone amp.  The Alpha Dogs are 50 ohm & need decent current/ wattage per Dan/ Mr. Speakers (1 watt per channel). I'm looking at something like a Schiit Asgard.

roscoeiii

Asgard would be a good choice. Lots of oomph. The folks in the Alpha Dogs thread also seem to think a speaker amp with an adaptor would work well.

Freo-1

I have decided that in my soon to be new environment (1,130  ft2 condo), the closed headphone route is the direction I want to go.  The Alpha Dogs are neutral, reference quality closed cans that sound like open cans per head-fi reviewers (primary contributor Jude, beta testers, & some recent headphone show auditions).  Pre-orders now available w/ end of Sept. delivery I believe.  I may wait for 2nd batch in order that any bugs are worked out.

That eats up $600 of my $850 budget, so I have approx. $250 to buy a used/ new headphone amp.  The Alpha Dogs are 50 ohm & need decent current/ wattage per Dan/ Mr. Speakers (1 watt per channel). I'm looking at something like a Schiit Asgard.

If you have not pulled the trigger yet, check this link out:

http://www.headfonia.com/full-size-headphone-recommendations/
These guys know their stuff.  Enjoy!

FireGuy

While on vacation it's been four days with...

Beyer 990 (600 Ohm), Beyer 880 (250 Ohm), Grado Ref RS1's and the Beyer T1's.   Yes, Sir...the Beyers T1's hand down.  Please spend the extra $$.  Your  brain will love you.  Trust me!! 

Freo-1

While on vacation it's been four days with...

Beyer 990 (600 Ohm), Beyer 880 (250 Ohm), Grado Ref RS1's and the Beyer T1's.   Yes, Sir...the Beyers T1's hand down.  Please spend the extra $$.  Your  brain will love you.  Trust me!!

Wow!  Quite an array.  Well done.  :D

I'm going down the ESL route.  I had the T1's, and no doubt they are incredible.  Going to try the Stax SRS 4040II route.  Will be posting observations once I get some time with them. 

For the OP:  Also consider the DT-770, as they are closed.

brother love

Thanks for the link Freo-1, very informative.

i ended up getting a used Schiit Lyr tube headphone amp to go w/ the neutral, slightly revealing characteristics of the Alpha Dogs cans that I have chosen. The tube pair of the Lyr matches up to the single tube DAC/ preamp  that I use, so that will keep it all in the family (I'll keep TD-11 tube out for main system & non-tube line out for the tube headamp).

I'll report back in the Alpha Dog thread after they are released late Sept. & I have a chance to burn in & evaluate.

Thanks for all the good info everyone! 

roscoeiii

Thanks for the link Freo-1, very informative.

i ended up getting a used Schiit Lyr tube headphone amp to go w/ the neutral, slightly revealing characteristics of the Alpha Dogs cans that I have chosen. The tube pair of the Lyr matches up to the single tube DAC/ preamp  that I use, so that will keep it all in the family (I'll keep TD-11 tube out for main system & non-tube line out for the tube headamp).

I'll report back in the Alpha Dog thread after they are released late Sept. & I have a chance to burn in & evaluate.

Thanks for all the good info everyone!

Look forward to your impressions. That should be a great pairing. I really liked the Asgard when I had it, and have wanted to hear the Lyr, which seems to be an even better match for orthos.

brother love

Look forward to your impressions. That should be a great pairing. I really liked the Asgard when I had it, and have wanted to hear the Lyr, which seems to be an even better match for orthos.

Yeah, I prefer tubes & the Lyr is 4 w/ch into the 50 ohm load. Dan, Mr. Speakers said the Mad Dogs/ Alpha Dogs benefit from higher wattage by being more airy & spacious.  I went $90 over my $850 budget to achieve this, but hopefully it will be worth the extra coin (fingers crossed).

milford3

Uncross your fingers.  The Schiit Lyr will put a huge smile on your face.   :)

adydula

• Restricted
 I both the ASGARD and the LYR for about a year and they worked out well....I eventually sold them after sevearal other amps and tube rolling....built 2 O2 objective amps and after lots of side by side is this one better than that one I kept the O2 objective amps. Tube rolling is over for me.

Depending on the cans, which all seem to vary a lot....and we all have different heads (LOL)...most any real good amp now-adays works well...

There are a few things to look out for in amps, ie low output impedance, etc...

I am waiting on a set of Beyer T90s to show up next wed to play with.

Alex