Bryston 3B-ST and Power Bars

rhart

« on: 11 Nov 2003, 04:51 pm »
My 3B ST manual states that no power conditioning is needed for this amp. Does this mean that I can also forgo surge-protection?.

Basically, I suppose I am wondering whether plugging the amp directly into the wall is a good idea or not. My alternative is to use either a basic surge protection bar, OR my Monster HTS1000 (which doesn't really provide much conditioning).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2003, 08:23 pm »
Hi rhart,

The 3B ST will be fine without surge prtection. It is not that you can not use a powerline conditioner with Bryston it is just important to make sure that the line conditioner provided enough amperage to make sure the amp is not limited by the conditioner. There is a lot of power conditiono=ing as part of the circuitry in power supplyof all Bryston amps.
An amp likes to see pure unwavering voltage source.

james

nicolasb

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2003, 11:12 am »
I think this is probably true of most power amps - relatively few mains conditioners can really deliver enough current. (And deven if they say they can, the numbers can be misleading, because the peak current limit can affect sound quality as much as the average current limit).

DefTechFreak

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2003, 06:07 am »
I got rid of all my Panamax gear, after reading how MOV's are not dependable at all. And they restricted the current as well.

I am now using Brickwall units, high current models that don't restrict the current, and are made just for power amps. And by design, they do some nice conditioning.

I recommend Brickwalls, as they will never fail, under any condition..and they dont restrict the current whatsoever. Probably the best decision I have made in the past 14 years being in this hobby. Total peace of Mind..no feeling is better  :D