Hello... Anybody Home?

4Play

• You Get Busy Living or You Get Busy Dying
Hello... Anybody Home?
« on: 13 Oct 2015, 11:24 pm »
Hello AC!!

My name is Tim and I am from the only state that was created during the Civil War. Music has always been an important part of my life. The summer of 1976 I worked and saved my money so I could buy my first audio system, Harman/Kardon receiver, BIC turntable, and a pair of Advent speakers. A simple basic audio system, but holy cow! the sound was fantastic. In the early 1980s my system consisted of a Yamaha receiver, Technics turntable, and a pair of Design Acoustics D4 speakers. This plus other items were stolen out of my house by a so called "friend."

It wasn't until three years ago when my wife and I bought our first home, I decided that we would have an audio system. We cut cable and the audio system is our only source of entertainment. It's been a work in progress, and so far I am enjoying what I have put together. I have managed to build two systems, one for my wife and one for me. If Lord willing and the creek don't rise I am hoping to retire in two years. Wherever our retirement home is, both of us will have our own system to enjoy.

I am looking forward to participating and meeting new friends. I hope I have a little wit and some wisdom I can share and hopefully help someone who is in need of help. In case you didn't figure out where I am from, I am in WV.

Let's get the party started!!

Phil A

Re: Hello... Anybody Home?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2015, 12:07 am »
Welcome to AC '4Play' from WV!

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2015, 12:14 am »
4Play, welcome to AudioCircle,
you will like it here.
You can make lots of friends...

Guy 13

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2015, 12:18 am »
Welcome to AC, 4play!  :beer:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2015, 12:40 am »
I had guessed WV, but I can't recall ever being told that. Welcome, Tim.

My wife and I cut cable about a year ago, too. We spend more time outdoors now, and I listen to a lot more music.

Michael

4Play

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2015, 01:55 am »
I had guessed WV, but I can't recall ever being told that. Welcome, Tim.

My wife and I cut cable about a year ago, too. We spend more time outdoors now, and I listen to a lot more music.

Michael

Cutting cable was the best thing we could for ourselves. My wife loves music as much as I do. If anyone hasn't purchased Roger Waters' Amused To Death, you owe it to yourself and family. There are several YouTube videos with Roger regarding the album. Watch the videos first, and then buy the album.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2015, 03:16 am »
Welcome 4Play.  I must say that you had impeccable taste with your choices of the BIC turntable, the Advent and Design Acoustics speakers.  I may be a bit biased since I had a BIC 980, a pair of large Advents, followed by a pair of Design Acoustics D-12s!  Still use the D-12s in home theater. 
I suspect that you'll find lots of good folks here at AC.
Scott

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2015, 12:14 pm »
Welcome 4Play, I sorry that your system was stolen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dvVYn6DTQQ

4Play

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2015, 02:42 pm »
Welcome 4Play, I sorry that your system was stolen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dvVYn6DTQQ

That was over thirty years ago. However, things happen for a reason, and I firmly believe "what goes around comes around." I am much better off audio-wise. I am slowly progressing on having a good audio system.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.