Amp placement question

yetis

Amp placement question
« on: 3 Sep 2011, 01:42 pm »
 Any reason why I cannot put a 100se on top of my equi=tech power processor?

Just a few questions before I pul the trigger.

Thank you 
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2011, 08:11 pm by yetis »

modwright

Re: 3 channel amp? - Amp placement question
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2011, 07:48 pm »
Never a good idea to stack high-end audio gear.  There are too many fields from high-power transformers that generate nasty EMI fields.  This is especially true when stacking anything on a power amp or other power conditioning or regulating device, and REALLY applies to an isolation transformer.

Thanks,

Dan

yetis

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2011, 01:06 pm »
Interesting.  I was always under the belief that things like cd players, hard drives were the worst near amps -- that the electric motors created the most rf noise of anything.  Does the RF paper that they sell make a difference, if used in a situation where you cannot get a lot of distance?

Thanks

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2011, 03:40 pm »
Never a good idea to stack high-end audio gear.  There are too many fields from high-power transformers that generate nasty EMI fields.  This is especially true when stacking anything on a power amp or other power conditioning or regulating device, and REALLY applies to an isolation transformer.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan this is an interesting subect. I agree not to stack components. However how much distance apart until the fields do not affect each other ? About 4 ft for a TV.
  I would fathom that the internal resonances of the gear would have an ill affect as well. Never been a fan of racks as the gear is to close together. Yes they handle the resonance issue but not the magnetic fields.

charles
SMA

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2011, 04:22 pm »

Dan this is an interesting subect. I agree not to stack components. However how much distance apart until the fields do not affect each other ? About 4 ft for a TV.
  I would fathom that the internal resonances of the gear would have an ill affect as well. Never been a fan of racks as the gear is to close together. Yes they handle the resonance issue but not the magnetic fields.

charles
SMA

This has been a recent interest of mine...
 After having very interesting positive effect with the freaky little "E pad" stickers, lead me to reading about the Lessloss Blackbody
:peek:
 and wondering more about EMI fields and what can be done with them. Its hard to get gear away from each other in a normal ergonomic home setting... But removing the TV from the system and the room was a good move.
I am particularly interested in trying to get my conditioner away from the gear but that seems to be the hardest to get elsewhere.

Maybe this subject would be good as its own thread in another location on the forum? 

yetis

Re: Amp placement question
« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2011, 08:14 pm »
I modified the original post, to focus on the amp placement question.

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:46 pm »
In general, there are two things to consider.

Radiated EMI - Electromagnetic Interference - from power transformers largely.
Radiated RFI - Radio Frequency Interference - largely from switched mode power supplies, digital processors, FM/Dig. tuners, etc.

As a general rule, I would keep the line conditioner or isolation transformer on the floor and away from the rack.

I would put the amp on the bottom of the rack or on the floor, as far as possible from source gear.

I would put phono stages and tube preamps as far away from power amps as possible.

I would also separte analog and digital components on separate shelves.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dan W.

dminches

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:53 pm »
Is a pre-processor considered digital because it has D/A capabilities? 

johzel

« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2011, 07:16 pm »

I would put phono stages and tube preamps as far away from power amps as possible.

How does this work in integrated amps, then?  Especially those with built in phono stages or hybrid designs with tube preamp sections??

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2011, 12:51 am »
A processor is considered digital and I would simply keep it away from tube phono stages and from your power amps.

In the case of an integrated, it is up to the designer to make smart use of shielding, physical orientation, etc., to minimize such effects.

In our case, our integrated will have SS phono and DAC option, not tube.  EMI fields also have a specific geometry, depending on the transformer type, size and orientation.  Toroids and R-Core types radiate the LEAST field. EI core radiate the most.

Thanks,

Dan