Gustard X20?

ACHiPo

Re: Gustard X20?
« Reply #80 on: 6 Mar 2016, 10:08 pm »
Might want to see if John C. will let you guys borrow a DAC-9 to compare.
Tommy might be willing to have you demo his DAC DAC, too.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #81 on: 6 Mar 2016, 10:22 pm »
Toys  Toys :bounce: :bounce:

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
« Reply #82 on: 6 Mar 2016, 10:53 pm »
Hi, I have experience Gustard X20u in my house like month ago. My buddy have also Hydra Z:  http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-z ........ what I found as this combination work best to my ears. I have at that time home TEAC 501UD and with all respect in my opinion was out preform Gustard+Hydra Z. Next week will have home new TEAC 503NT so I will definitely call my buddy back with Gustard X20u for little showdown.

Ritchie

aldcoll

« Reply #83 on: 6 Mar 2016, 11:03 pm »
Look forward to the review.  And this is the first I have heard of the Hydra.

aldcoll

« Reply #84 on: 6 Mar 2016, 11:08 pm »

I am also using a pc for hi rez PCM and DSD via USB. Again, sounds incredible. Much better than the $800 price tag would suggest.

The only thing I am disappointed in, is there is almost no information that I can find on how to use the I2s over HDMI.

Send me a email and I will pass along the manual.  aldcoll@comcast.  Keep my email to private please.

nc42acc

« Reply #85 on: 7 Mar 2016, 12:40 am »
Looks like the Gustard U12 that I found was a detriment to the sound of the X20.

Hi, I have experience Gustard X20u in my house like month ago. My buddy have also Hydra Z:  http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-z ........ what I found as this combination work best to my ears. I have at that time home TEAC 501UD and with all respect in my opinion was out preform Gustard+Hydra Z. Next week will have home new TEAC 503NT so I will definitely call my buddy back with Gustard X20u for little showdown.

Ritchie

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
« Reply #86 on: 7 Mar 2016, 12:53 am »
Look forward to the review.  And this is the first I have heard of the Hydra.

Will do. Just make sure we have fair review I have mine two friend's with me to tel me their opinions.   

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #87 on: 7 Mar 2016, 01:30 am »
Which power cords are folks using with their X20 DACs? I know Aldcoll is using the stock PC right now, but the Triode Wire Labs Digital American High Power PC I purchased (from an AC member) ought to arrive in his mailbox by March 14th. I hope that makes a difference.

Once I return, I'm going to place my PI Audio UberBUSS and my TWL 10+ PC into the mix just to see if that influences the SQ.

There are specialty USB cords that separate the power wire from the signal wires that may be worth a try. Also, it seems to me that there are: Regen USB, iFi USB, and ??? USB cords available to further reduce jitter.

I'm very interested to compare SQ with:

1. X20 as DAC/pre + solid state amp
2. X20 as DAC/pre + tube amp
3. X20 as DAC/pre + hybrid amp

Alan has the Modwright solid state amp; I've got my Audio by Van Alstine 400R hybrid amp, so I just need to track down a tube amp for a show down. If there is no one who can supply one, I'll try Echo, Pearl, or another audio store for a loaner.

nc42acc

« Reply #88 on: 7 Mar 2016, 01:32 am »
Where do you live? I have a truckload of amps and USB cables. So far the best USB cable in my system is the Kimber AG B bus.

Which power cords are folks using with their X20 DACs? I know Aldcoll is using the stock PC right now, but the Triode Wire Labs Digital American High Power PC I purchased (from an AC member) ought to arrive in his mailbox by March 14th. I hope that makes a difference.

Once I return, I'm going to place my PI Audio UberBUSS and my TWL 10+ PC into the mix just to see if that influences the SQ.

There are specialty USB cords that separate the power wire from the signal wires that may be worth a try. Also, it seems to me that there are: Regen USB, iFi USB, and ??? USB cords available to further reduce jitter.

Alan has the Modwright solid state amp; I've got my Audio by Van Alstine 400R hybrid amp, so I just need to track down a tube amp for a show down. If there is no one who can supply one, I'll try Echo, Pearl, or another audio store for a loaner.

mresseguie

« Reply #89 on: 7 Mar 2016, 01:57 am »
When I'm not in Taiwan, I can be found in Corvallis, Oregon. Aldcoll is just 25 minutes south of me in Harrisburg. He must be just 20 minutes north of Eugene.

Echo Audio (Echo HiFi), and Pearl Audio are in Portland. They've always got tube gear on hand. Echo is a great source of gently used gear and could loan something out Saturday afternoon if it is returned by Monday morning. Pearl sells McIntosh. There's an audio store in Eugene, but I kinda think they do not sell tube gear. I've got a couple ideas....email time...

I smell an audio GTG brewing....

nc42acc

« Reply #90 on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:15 am »
Sorry guys would love to join you but you are a fur piece from North Carolina.

When I'm not in Taiwan, I can be found in Corvallis, Oregon. Aldcoll is just 25 minutes south of me in Harrisburg. He must be just 20 minutes north of Eugene.

Echo Audio (Echo HiFi), and Pearl Audio are in Portland. They've always got tube gear on hand. Echo is a great source of gently used gear and could loan something out Saturday afternoon if it is returned by Monday morning. Pearl sells McIntosh. There's an audio store in Eugene, but I kinda think they do not sell tube gear. I've got a couple ideas....email time...

I smell an audio GTG brewing....

mresseguie

« Reply #91 on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:18 am »
Sorry guys would love to join you but you are a fur piece from North Carolina.

Actually, I've been envious of your location for some time now. There are some amazingly great GTGs held in your area.  :(

nc42acc

« Reply #92 on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:47 am »
Lot of room on this side of the world, come on over we will welcome you home.

Actually, I've been envious of your location for some time now. There are some amazingly great GTGs held in your area.  :(

ACHiPo

« Reply #93 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:38 am »

I'm running a stock cord, and thinking of picking up a Pangea.

I'm running a Black Cat USB that I picked up here.  I haven't tried anything else.

rpf

« Reply #94 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:48 am »

One of those USB cords that separate power form data is the PI Audio cable. By far the best I've heard. A couple of reviews I wrote about it:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/p-i-audio-and-other-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cables-25273/#post450309

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/pi-audio-and-curious-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cables-uptone-regen-and-similar-usage-27760/

aldcoll

« Reply #95 on: 7 Mar 2016, 04:21 am »

I am using a Wywires Blue Power cord and a High Class DIY Coax.  And the Wywires stock cable is a difference.

IF we can pull of a review, return to the mother land party I will make some effort to gather a couple different DAC's in the same ball park.  And the whole tube amp hunting and choosing I will leave up to you.  And as I usually say the amp will need to have the speaker selection narrowed.

While you have chosen a DAC (for now or then next chip comes out :scratch:)

mresseguie

« Reply #96 on: 7 Mar 2016, 09:38 am »
RPF,

I did not know that Dave made this audio cable. I knew about his power cable and his Mac Mini Power Cable.....or did I misunderstand his email way back when? [just checked old emails, i did not know about the USB cord] Time to order one now. [Edit: I just ordered Dave's 1.5m USB cable.....Oh, Aldcoll...]

Thank you for your review post on CA.
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2016, 01:47 am by mresseguie »

orientalexpress

« Reply #97 on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:42 pm »
Pi digibus ->>stock power cable,uptown usb>>furutech usb >>>Gustard  :thumb:

rpf

« Reply #98 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:12 pm »
RPF,

I did not know that Dave made this audio cable. I knew about his power cable and his Mac Mini Power Cable.....or did I misunderstand his email way back when? [just checked old emails, i did not know about the USB cord] Time to order one now.

Thank you for your review post on CA.

You're welcome. Btw, the TWL Digital American HC PC made a big difference on my EE DAC Plus. I'm sure it will do the same for your Gustard.  :thumb:

simoon

« Reply #99 on: 10 Mar 2016, 11:52 pm »

The x20 has a couple points that need some attention.  I there is something missing with the high's either rolled off or as Ric said "you hear a cymbal but you don't hear the stick working it".  I did a bunch of Jazz listening and it is quit apparent.

As an ex-percussionist, and a jazz fan, I have to disagree with the above assessment. I pay a lot of attention to percussion.

I also listen to quite a bit of 20th century and contemporary classical, which has quite a bit of percussion, and I don't even hear what you are hearing (or not hearing) on orchestral percussion with the orchestra playing forte.

I will do some listening this weekend, with specific attention to percussion reproduction. Hopefully I can get my friend to bring over his Benchmark DAC2, which goes for about double the Gustard.