Spkr set-up ?

Wig

Spkr set-up ?
« on: 18 Apr 2015, 02:47 am »
Guys,

needing some advice on setting up my spkrs in this room; room width is 19' W but there is an opening door way on the left side of the room. If I place my system in the traditional symetrical position, my audio rack would be off centered and near the door opening but my speakers would be 5' from each side wall.

If I centered my audio rack and not take in consideration the doorway opening, it would give a more balanced look but one spkr would be 8' from the sidewall and the other 3' from the sidewall. Is this acceptable?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank,
Wig :thumb:

RDavidson

Re: Spkr set-up ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2015, 02:52 am »
It would be helpful to know what speakers you have, otherwise we can't really give you advice. :wink:

Wig

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2015, 02:58 am »
Acoustic Zen Crescendos

Wig

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2015, 02:59 am »
With a clean slate like that,  I'd try it every different way.   Even with speakers across a corner firing diagonally down the room.   Years ago I was in a difficult room,  and this setup gave very decent results.

No one can tell you what's  gonna work.   Just gotta try and listen.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2015, 04:24 am »
I generally agree sunnydaze, but I think the OP is just looking for maybe the best starting point. I'm sure other people have similar room layouts. We all know that shuffling a whole system around more than once can be a several hour commitment, if not several days, if one takes plenty of time listening.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2015, 04:42 am »
If I place my system in the traditional symetrical position, my audio rack would be off centered and near the door opening but my speakers would be 5' from each side wall.

Do this.

What would be the distance between each of the speakers? What is the distance between the speakers and the listening position? Would they be set up on the short wall or long wall?

Draw a picture of your room layout and use it to create scenarios of speaker and listening positions. It's likely that only one scenario will stand out.

Wig

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2015, 05:31 am »
Do this.

What would be the distance between each of the speakers? What is the distance between the speakers and the listening position? Would they be set up on the short wall or long wall?

Draw a picture of your room layout and use it to create scenarios of speaker and listening positions. It's likely that only one scenario will stand out.

My room is basically a square, 19'W x 20' L with 10'+ ceilings and the short wall is really my only option. The distance between the speakers will be 8' with a listening distance of 8'. I've heard that you don't get good imaging with unsymetrical placement and it will be very difficult moving my spiked audio rack with with 400 pounds of equipment a little further down the wall.

I may just settle with the rack being off-centered since it will give perfect symetry and sidewall seperation of 5'+

Thanks,
Wig

guest61169

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2015, 05:43 am »
Nice looking room but dimension ratios not ideal for audio so won't do justice to your equipment.   Are their other options possible? 

George3

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2015, 05:55 am »
Wig,

Like you, I own AZ Crescendo speakers and my experience has been that they sound their best if they can be placed at least eight feet apart with your corresponding listening portion at least eight feet away.  Mine are nine feet apart and I do not have a symmetrical distance between the side walls and this has not in my opinion compromised my sound at all.  As a matter of fact, Robert Lee has been to my home, stayed with us for two nights and after listening to my system moved one of my speakers four inches one way and adjust the tilt on my SOC outriggers upwards.  His preference at shows and in my home was for no toe in, but we agreed that a slight toe in in my case was acceptable to him and I certainly preferred a slight toe in. 

Your photo only gives me a partial view of your room.  Is the door opening actually a door opening where you can close the door or is it permanently open?  As Early B suggests, perhaps if you draw us a full picture of the entire room we would be better able to suggest a starting point and you can go from there.  However, I fear that it will be indeed a trial and error situation so you can start minimally with just the speakers, a source and amp on the floor in order to audition the sound you are getting before you set up anything permanently. 

Additionally, I would first prepare the room as you would like to have it. That is, if you are putting up pictures, placing books in a bookcase, putting plants in the room, curtains, furniture etc, do that first before you do any kind of critical listening.  In my case, a TV went on a recessed stand behind my speakers, I did not necessarily want it there simply because I knew it sounded better without it there but after 38 years of a very happy marriage I was not about to quibble about a minor point when so many audio major points to me are accepted without question. 

Also from your picture it looks like you have quite a few AC outlets on one wall.  Are they all on the same circuit breaker?  Are they the only ones in the room?  If this is a new house is there the possibility of you installing a dedicated line or two?  If so, this may be an opportune time to do so before you move in. 

I could go on, but have rambled enough already for which I apologize. 

George

Wig

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2015, 06:06 am »
Wig,

Like you, I own AZ Crescendo speakers and my experience has been that they sound their best if they can be placed at least eight feet apart with your corresponding listening portion at least eight feet away.  Mine are nine feet apart and I do not have a symmetrical distance between the side walls and this has not in my opinion compromised my sound at all.  As a matter of fact, Robert Lee has been to my home, stayed with us for two nights and after listening to my system moved one of my speakers four inches one way and adjust the tilt on my SOC outriggers upwards.  His preference at shows and in my home was for no toe in, but we agreed that a slight toe in in my case was acceptable to him and I certainly preferred a slight toe in. 

Your photo only gives me a partial view of your room.  Is the door opening actually a door opening where you can close the door or is it permanently open?  As Early B suggests, perhaps if you draw us a full picture of the entire room we would be better able to suggest a starting point and you can go from there.  However, I fear that it will be indeed a trial and error situation so you can start minimally with just the speakers, a source and amp on the floor in order to audition the sound you are getting before you set up anything permanently. 

Additionally, I would first prepare the room as you would like to have it. That is, if you are putting up pictures, placing books in a bookcase, putting plants in the room, curtains, furniture etc, do that first before you do any kind of critical listening.  In my case, a TV went on a recessed stand behind my speakers, I did not necessarily want it there simply because I knew it sounded better without it there but after 38 years of a very happy marriage I was not about to quibble about a minor point when so many audio major points to me are accepted without question. 

Also from your picture it looks like you have quite a few AC outlets on one wall.  Are they all on the same circuit breaker?  Are they the only ones in the room?  If this is a new house is there the possibility of you installing a dedicated line or two?  If so, this may be an opportune time to do so before you move in. 

I could go on, but have rambled enough already for which I apologize. 

George

George,

Here are a few more pictures and there are 4 outlets on the front wall, 2 each on it's own dedicated 20 amp circuit which was a surprise for me since the house was built in 1977 but electrical was upgraded at some point.

Doorways are permanently opened but will use Gik 244 with feet to keep sound from re-entering the room.

Old set-up from our last home and hopefully this home will share similiar attributes...

Wig

George3

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2015, 06:37 am »
Wig,

Well, given your response you have already defined your front wall.
The fact that you have a dedicated 20amp outlet is a blessing many of
us could only hope for.

So, why not start out by trying that front wall and see what results
you have compared to your old home?  You may be pleasantly surprised
and with just a few adjustments of toe in and placement that may do
the trick. And, if you use any acoustical panels with their placement
you may equal or better what you had in your old home.

Try it out and see what results you get. Then get back to us here as
there are plenty of more knowledgeable than I that can assist you.....

George

ACHiPo

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2015, 02:52 pm »
Good luck and enjoy the ride.  Beautiful speakers, by the way! :thumb:

Hipper

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2015, 07:25 pm »
Firstly is it necessary to have the gear between the speakers? I moved mine to the side and gained sonic benefits at the expense of longer speaker cables (if you use balanced XLR cables betwen amp and pre-amp, you could have your amp between the speakers, a long inteconnect and two short speaker cables).

For positioning you could try 'The Thirds' - speakers one third of each wall's length into the room and ears one third in from the back wall. A version of that described here:

http://barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

Wig

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2015, 05:10 am »
Guys,

Thank you all for your suggestions! I got my audio rack into position and compromised by moving it off center to the right by 15". I've attached a picture with old black racks representing the speakers, the left speaker will be about 6.5' and the right is about 5' from the side wall.

I think I can live with the racks position...

Wig :D