Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:03 am »
It sure doesn't sound like it.  Read the first paragraph under "Background": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_at_the_Hollywood_Bowl

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:31 am »
Another attempt to wring a few more greenbacks from the Beatles catalog probably. They had a reputation of being so-so as a live act anyway. Some historical value there, I suppose.

Steven Stone

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2016, 02:30 pm »
Actually the sound, via Tidal, isn't bad, but the screaming is AMAZING - especially on the first couple of numbers. After a while I guess a good percentage of the screamers had passed out...:)

rbbert

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2016, 06:24 pm »
Another attempt to wring a few more greenbacks from the Beatles catalog probably. They had a reputation of being so-so as a live act anyway. Some historical value there, I suppose.

I would call this performance outstanding, as I suspect virtually all their others were as well.  No stage monitors, a baseball stadium PA as the sound system, crowd noise that was possibly louder than the music, yet despite all this virtually perfect vocal harmonies and spot-on playing. 

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2016, 11:55 pm »
I picked this up today. This needs to be listened to LOUD. In no other Beatles recording do you get a sense of how dynamic and energetic their performances could be. In spite of the limitations of the recordings themselves, and screaming, one can still hear why their live concerts generated so much adulation. They rock like a freight train on this release!

firedog

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2016, 05:06 pm »
Actually the sound, via Tidal, isn't bad, but the screaming is AMAZING - especially on the first couple of numbers. After a while I guess a good percentage of the screamers had passed out...:)

I think Giles Martin just lowered the volume on the screaming on the other tracks.

WC

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2016, 06:45 pm »
Kind of interesting how they did the recording. Listen to the podcast for the details. The screaming sort of drowned out the band in the recording, so they had to isolate the screaming and lower its contribution so the band could be heard.

pconley2

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2016, 08:41 pm »
If you want to hear what the Beatles could sound like live, listen to the Beatles at the BBC, which are mostly live recordings (mistakes and all) from the BBC.  Their vocal ability is stunning, John's rhythm guitar is sometimes spotty and sometimes driving, George's leads go from amazing to sad and in general Paul's bass playing is always spot on--the singing is outstanding.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2016, 10:20 pm »
While I agree with pconley2 about the BBC discs, the Bowl recording is on a whole 'nother level. The energy generated by the crowd and then returned by the band is stunning.

pconley2

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2016, 01:08 am »
Konut, I hope that will be the case, I look forward to hearing the Hollywood Bowl.

PSB Guy

« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2016, 08:08 pm »
Just got this from Amazon.ca today. Giles Martin did a very good job on this. Very listenable, very exciting. It's amazing how much the boys rocked in these concerts, especially since they couldn't possibly have heard themselves at all. Remarkable. Now get to work on the rooftop concert, please.

Cornelis

nocrapman

« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2016, 12:21 pm »
Hate to be the grinch but this album did not appeal to me at all and I am an avid beatles fan!
The screaming and shouting was a big turn off. I could only take the first 2 songs....
Makes sense why they ran to India for some peace.

PSB Guy

« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2016, 02:32 pm »
Hate to be the grinch but this album did not appeal to me at all and I am an avid beatles fan!
The screaming and shouting was a big turn off. I could only take the first 2 songs....
Makes sense why they ran to India for some peace.
I can see your point of view, for sure. The original release of this material in 1977 was not really listenable, they did what they could with the technology of the time. This new release for me strikes a good balance between the crowd noise and the sound of the band. It serves as a good snapshot of what the band was like live at that time. YMMV.

Cornelis

OzarkTom

« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2016, 03:07 pm »
A huge Beatles fan here. I feel I am lucky to live close to Branson, home of the Liverpool legends. They are voted the best Beatles tribute band in the world. This band was handpicked by George Harrison's sister. Last year they went to Mexico and played to a sell-out crowd of 17000 people.

I have seen them twice at their show and had very much fun dancing with my wife to two New Years parties n Branson. No way are they as good as the Beatles, but live, they sound much better. There are no 30k screaming fans to battle with.

For two years now they played at the 4th of July celebration at the Rose Bowl in California. The band played in Chicago over Labor Day at the Lobster Fest. They even got invited to play at Carnegie Hall just a few weeks ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mN7APgKpAOE

Highly recommended if they come to your area if you are a Beatles fan like me.

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2016, 07:51 pm »
An interiew with Paul and Ringo on CBS Sunday Morning today. Ringo said he could not hear the rest of the band because of the loud screaming.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-beatles-on-tour-in-eight-days-a-week/
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2016, 10:04 pm by OzarkTom »

PSB Guy

« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2016, 09:58 pm »
An interiew with Paul and Ringo on CBS Sunday Morning today. Ringo aid he could not hear the rest of the band because of the loud screaming.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-beatles-on-tour-in-eight-days-a-week/
With no stage monitors, as well as the venue P.A. being used for sound reinforcement, it's not surprising at all. Although they did exist, it was still a little while before stage monitors were common. It's a miracle to me that they were able to sound so tight. All those hours long sets in Hamburg were good practice, I guess.

Cornelis