Mini-Review: Favorite Blu-Ray Music Disc or Blu-Ray Concert audio

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
This is a dedicated thread for anyone/everyone to list his/her favorite Blu-Ray audio.  The disc can be the more typical Blu-Ray concert disc (less interested in the video content, but ok too) or the newer Blu-Ray Audio only discs.

Let's follow a template that has some quantitative and qualitative information:
- resolution or audio format (i.e 24/192 Dolby TrueHD, 24/96 uncompressed LPCM, 24/96 DTS HD MA)
- number of channels supported (2.0, 5.1, etc.)
- audio quality (describe the audio in audio terms.  How is the clarity, bass, soundstage, surround effects if relevant, tonality, etc.)
- video quality (only need to mention if noteworthy)

This is not a thread for debating who's is better; leave that to your own created threads.  This is a sticky for referencing top quality discs only.

Thanks George (Zybar) for the idea...

chutracheese

Ted and everyone,
What is even out there for Blu-ray music?
I seem to have hard time even finding it when searching.
Does anyone have any experience with Blu-ray music?
Is it mostly just concerts? ie:music with the video or are there many music only blu-rays worth looking into?
I've looked on Amazon with limited success. I found the Acoustic Reality Experience series. Anyone have any experience with these?
Searching mostly yields concerts released on Blu-ray.
Any help appreciated.
Also, Ted, great forum. I've learned/am learning a lot from it-Thanks.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
There are a number of them, with the most reviewed being:
Audio only -  Divertimenti (2L label).  It is nice in that it also comes with a Hybrid Surround SACD.
Concert Disc - Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City.  Incredible 24/96 sound for 2+ hrs.

I will add links and more comment when i get back Thurs night or Fri.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Hoping to give this thread a boost :D

Speaking of Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City

Resolution - 24/48 Stereo LPCM, Dolby TrueHD 24/96 5.1

Absolutely phenomenal audio quality on both the surround mix and stereo LPCM.  An extremely enjoyable concert listening experience.  Video quality is also exceptional; the best I've seen on any format.

Tim Reynolds and Dave Matthews gel exceptionally well in this live 2007 concert.  Tim's acoustic guitar play is a joy to hear and see.

Well worth the purchase, and I've listened to it and watched it numerous times!  Also used as a demo for folks coming by for an HD audio/video audition.

Mark

Phil A

Hoping to give this thread a boost :D

Speaking of Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City

Resolution - 24/48 Stereo LPCM, Dolby TrueHD 24/96 5.1

Absolutely phenomenal audio quality on both the surround mix and stereo LPCM.  An extremely enjoyable concert listening experience.  Video quality is also exceptional; the best I've seen on any format.

Tim Reynolds and Dave Matthews gel exceptionally well in this live 2007 concert.  Tim's acoustic guitar play is a joy to hear and see.

Well worth the purchase, and I've listened to it and watched it numerous times!  Also used as a demo for folks coming by for an HD audio/video audition.

Mark

I agree.  I'm not usually one to buy or rave about concert videos, especially the sound.  This one is excellent in every respect.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
I've got another great concert Blu-ray to add:

Chris Botti in Boston

Dolby TrueHD 7.1 24/96; 5.1 PCM 24/96; 2.0 PCM 24/48

Great concert experience, almost a you are there.  Eclectic mix of Jazz, Classical, Rock, Pop with many guests (Steven Tyler, Yo-Yo Ma, Sting, Lucia Micarelli, etc.).

Video is excellent as well.

Just received as a gift, great friend!!

JohnnyB

My favorites follow:

Talking Heads; Don't Stop Making Sense.  Wonderful sound quality and terrific video quality.  If you like David Byrne, you'll love this music.

Roy Orbison; Black and White.  Reference quality, boith audio and video.  Everyone must own, just look at who is playing on this BluRay!!

JohnnyB

Napalm

If you're not into opera music yet, this would be the best introduction to it. And if you already are, this should not miss from your collection.

A stellar live performance by Anna Netrebko, Elina Garanca, Ramon Vargas and Ludovic Tezier. The aria selection is excellent and guaranteed to not bore you - you'll sit there glued to your sofa from start to end.

This is an all regions Blu-Ray, with sound in PCM stereo, PCM 5.1 and DTS-HD 5.1. The sound recording is very well reproducing the venue's riveting atmosphere. Image also excellent.

Enjoy:

Nap.

Wayne1

Jeff Beck Performing This Week...LIVE AT ronnie scott's

This disc is available from Amazon for just a dollar more than the CD.

The performances are smokin'. Jeff Beck does not seem to have lost anything over the years. Speed, technique, and musicianship all come together at a small jazz club.

A Day in the Life won a Grammy last year from this set.

Great closeups on Beck and his guitar show just how talented this man is with his Stratocaster.

Fantastic video and really good DTS soundtrack  :thumb: :thumb:

DaveKen

Sorry for the numptie question but I'm a novice when it comes to audio quality technicals. I have Roy Orbison B&W Nights on DVD (not Blu-Ray)  -  would the audio quality be better on the Blu-Ray version.
I absolutely love the disc and have recommended it to forum friends but I would be prepared to invest in the Blu-Ray version if it would give even better sound.
Thanks for any polite replies  :wink:
Dave.

Zerogravity

I agree with this choice. I picked it up last night along with a Tom Petty Blue Ray disc. The Jeff Beck disc whatever format it's in, is going to sound good. However listening to it in DTS HD Master Audio, the sound quality excells!  I wish I could say the same for the Tom Petty disc, but I'm still scratching my head on this one? Not only are the recordings subpar, it seems more of a documentry then a disc that you can listen to for the uninterupted music content. I didn't have much chance to look at the entire disc yet, but I would recommend if anything to get a good quality RedBook Tom Petty recording, if anything.
   The Jeff Beck disc is completely the opposite and in my opinion done right with choice of song titles to select, if you just want to listen to the songs and also the choice of format including PCM, Stereo or DTS HD Master Audio.
Considering there aren't that many Fusion Jazz Guitarist around, I would
opine, that Mr. Beck is one of the best, wouldn't you agree? It also doesn't hurt that the master of Slow Hand Blues, Mr. Eric Clapton joins Jeff Beck for a few songs on this disc. I only wish that Jimmy Page joined in for a little mini Yardbirds reunion.

Jeff Beck Performing This Week...LIVE AT ronnie scott's

This disc is available from Amazon for just a dollar more than the CD.

The performances are smokin'. Jeff Beck does not seem to have lost anything over the years. Speed, technique, and musicianship all come together at a small jazz club.

A Day in the Life won a Grammy last year from this set.

Great closeups on Beck and his guitar show just how talented this man is with his Stratocaster.

Fantastic video and really good DTS soundtrack  :thumb: :thumb:

jamesg11

What are the audio resolution details for the BluRay Beck at Ronnie Scotts - eg. the 2 channel pcm?

Heckler75

Blues   lovers...   A   must Have!!!   Pure Joy!!!    :thumb:

Pure  awesome, Audio and Video,  Buddy Guy a master at work!!!

2004 Montreux Jazz   fest  Blu Ray   buddy guy/bobby parker/ gatemouth brown    DTS-HD MA audio

Heckler75

another great choice.... :thumb:

The Police Certifiable  "Live in Buenos Aires"      "Blu Ray"    Dolby  True HD

Great Audio and Video!!!

G E

Blues   lovers...   A   must Have!!!   Pure Joy!!!    :thumb:

Pure  awesome, Audio and Video,  Buddy Guy a master at work!!!

2004 Montreux Jazz   fest  Blu Ray   buddy guy/bobby parker/ gatemouth brown    DTS-HD MA audio

This is a great release - Buddy Guy is a national treasure!  The sound quality is very good, I don't recall encountering a "pop" recording with dynamic range as awsome as this.  There are a few warts ina the sound, the stuff you associate with a live event - a bit of loose ground noise, microphone stand bump , a clunker note or two, but I'd rather have my live music straight up and not doctored.  I consider this a reference disc video & soundwise.   Buddy Guy  iis an incredible showman and really connects with his audience.   Carlos Santanna, Bobby Parker and Buddy do some jammin' the last 25-30 minutes of the show that will leave your jaw on the floor.  Run - don not walk - to the store and get this disc.

G E

Crossroads 2010 BluRay is a very well done recording of an outdoor event held in Chicago.  If you like blues and guitar music, this is a must-have disc.  Overall the quality of the sound and video is excellent and for certain segments, sound quality is A#1 reference material.  I am particularly taken by the Susan Tedesci/Derek Trucks segment. Vince Gill does a great set.  A couple quibbles:  Bill Murray for one; secondly, in some of the acoustic numbers they cut away from the performance for some backstage banter with some of the perfomers and their take on blues history or where its going.  It happens a couple of times.  Really irritating when you hear the great performance in the background and someone is flappin' their gums on a less than profound topic.  The Jeff Beck portion is disappointing and Clapton is 'pretty good' but not incindiery. 

There are two discs of concert material.  Highly recommended, warts and all.

Jerrin

Sorry for the numptie question but I'm a novice when it comes to audio quality technicals. I have Roy Orbison B&W Nights on DVD (not Blu-Ray)  -  would the audio quality be better on the Blu-Ray version.
I absolutely love the disc and have recommended it to forum friends but I would be prepared to invest in the Blu-Ray version if it would give even better sound.
Thanks for any polite replies  :wink:
Dave.

Hi Dave,

Yes, I do think the sound quality is better on the Blu-ray.  The picture quality is too, but not by as much, as the way it was filmed seems to be problematic.

NoOne

I've got another great concert Blu-ray to add:

Chris Botti in Boston

Dolby TrueHD 7.1 24/96; 5.1 PCM 24/96; 2.0 PCM 24/48

Great concert experience, almost a you are there.  Eclectic mix of Jazz, Classical, Rock, Pop with many guests (Steven Tyler, Yo-Yo Ma, Sting, Lucia Micarelli, etc.).

Video is excellent as well.

Just received as a gift, great friend!!

:thumb:

If you like that one check out his other concert BD.  Chris Botti:  Live with Orchestra and Special Guests.  IMO the audio quality is superior while the video quality is lacking.  I'm not sure if DTS-MA is uncompressed but this BD has a PCM 5.1 sound track in hi-res.

Seen Chris in concert many times and always an excellent show.  His first BD is pretty much the exact set we saw him with our first time.  The sound quality is excellent, as you said, sounds like being there.

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
Ah, Blu-ray Audio. Here are my two favorites from a kick-ass sonic perspective. These are all Blu-ray Audio discs with minimal video, not live recordings like the bulk of material on Blu-ray.

Also great are:
  • Jethro Tull "Aqualung" (40th Anniv Box)
  • Rush "Moving Pictures"
  • Tom Petty "Damn the Torpedoes"

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
*BUMP*

Sorry, I just noticed this thread. I started a similar one a while back.
For some more concerts, check the thread LOCATED HERE.

Bob  :D