adding a IEC socket to a RM9 MKII

kenkirk

adding a IEC socket to a RM9 MKII
« on: 20 May 2014, 05:08 pm »
Hi,

I know many of you, including the designer Roger, do not much believe in power cords. I have heard them make a difference with some gear. Others, no. But I really love my RM9MKII and preferred to leave it stock. But my good friend wanted to add a socket to his RM9MKII and wanted me to do it for him. So I did mine first so as not to screw up his if I ran into trouble or did not hear any difference.  I had no trouble, and we both thought the bass was better after using a Cardas Golden power cable. Here are the pics that sort of show how I did it. Also, after I was done, I used shorting plugs to check for hum or noise. My gosh, these amps are just freakishly quiet! I had to put my ear on the tweeter of my Sonus Faber Amati's to hear anything. I use all Ram tubes. Roger is one incredible tube amp designer. I have never heard a quieter amp. Incredible. Oh, of course the sound of the amp is state of the art. After all of these years, there are few amps that can compare. I also own CAT Jl-1's. I only hook them up to drive my Sonus Faber Extremas, which don't mate well with the RM9MKII. I probably just need another RM9MKII and wire them into mono and then I could ditch the Cats. I also have a RM 10 MKII for the summer. Great little amp! Anyway, here is the process. I have done two of them and both look and sound great. To me anyway.  :D

practice first before routing the frame!

checking for room for wires

wire chosen. I like cloth covered wire on tube amps and I had this left over from some Dynaco restorations

I chose this audio grade IEC connector. I needed screw down connectors so the wood base could be removed if necessary without unsoldering.

wired up, note that the screw that holds the bottom plate and foot under the new socket will need to be a new shorter one to keep from screwing into the socket and causing a short!

note the hole plug where the old cord was removed

she is alive!

rbwalt

Re: adding a IEC socket to a RM9 MKII
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2014, 03:00 pm »
nice pic and a nice job. yes a good power cord does make a difference with the MK2.  i had roger put a IEC connector on my RM9SE though he did it a bit differently. he cut the standard power cord leaving about 6 inches and then installing the connector. i am using a  cardas clear beyond power cord on it now. i have used a JPS AC+, Kaptavator and golden reference cord in the past. the clear beyond is the best so far.

kenkirk

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2014, 03:25 pm »
nice pic and a nice job. yes a good power cord does make a difference with the MK2.  i had roger put a IEC connector on my RM9SE though he did it a bit differently. he cut the standard power cord leaving about 6 inches and then installing the connector. i am using a  cardas clear beyond power cord on it now. i have used a JPS AC+, Kaptavator and golden reference cord in the past. the clear beyond is the best so far.

I wish I had a RM9SE! I started to add a pigtail with socket, but after looking closely at the power cord I thought leaving even 6 inches was defeating the purpose. Its a decent cord, but I wanted a more robust connection all the way to the board. But I certainly understand  Roger's reasoning to just add the socket in a pigtail fashion. To remove the wood base I will need to release the wires from the socket. Also I doubt Roger wants to mess with routing out a nice wood base. Also there might be legal reasons for not modifying the original design. But I do think my way is the way to do it. So I just wanted to document the procedure for others that might want to modify these classic treasures.

Ken

rbwalt

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2014, 03:47 pm »
i thought of doing the way you have done. i even ordered up some connectors. the way you did yours is the best. mine is about 90% as good.

enjoy.