Active preamp

tubegroove

Active preamp
« on: 30 Jul 2013, 03:06 am »
Hi
I am considering adding an active linestage preamp to my system. What would my options be from the Music Reference stable? From the price list I deduce there is the C4 and the active pot in a box..... Is the C4 in production? Any other suggestions?
The Pre is to go with the RM10 and 4 ohm 90dB speakers.
I am keen to know what the gain is in dB is of the MR preamps and if this can be varied by the user.  I assume they will be tubed designs.
Any comments from existing users would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ericus Rex

Re: Active preamp
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:53 am »
You could add a used RM-5 to your list.  It's been out of production for quite a while now.  It does have user adjustable gain via 4 dip switches.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2013, 02:48 pm »
I recently bought a pair of RM-10's mostly to try the monoblock thingy and then went back to the same seller on Audiogon and bought his RM-5 just to keep it in the family (the Music Reference family that is). One of the things I wanted to try was to get more volume control range than I had ever had before on any of my equipment and by setting those dip switches I indeed accomplished that.

I believe in system synergy and therefore believe that Roger makes stuff that was designed to go together!  :thumb:

Gene

rbwalt

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2013, 12:35 am »
yes he does. must be a fairly old RM5 because he did away with the switches near the end of the product cycle. those pre's are like the energizer bunny. they just keep going and going. they sounded pretty good in their day. never had a issue with mine as long as i had it and that was for over 15 yrs. roger's gear is made to stand the test of time.

enjoy.

ps. i know roger has few RM1/2 's sitting around and from what he has mentioned it is a killer pre.

tubegroove

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2013, 05:01 am »
Thanks for the input.  I think as a follow up I would probably call RM and check directly with him

rbwalt

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2013, 03:22 pm »
tubes that you can use in the RM5 range from 6922's to the 6DJ8's. i always found the yugo 6DJ8's to be a bit warmer sounding than the 6992's. tell roger what you require and he will get you the best tubes period. no one tests and grades tubes like roger does nor as well.

let us know how things are working out.

enjoy!!!